Hey there! Sign in to join this conversationNew here? Join for free

Getting ears pierced & feeling faint Watch

Announcements

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by x_dwin_ffeimys_x)
    I got my first pearcings at the pharmacy, second holes at a jewellers...both did them the same way... with a gun, why would you se a needle?? when the gun is just as good??

and to the clenaing bit, I took them out every day since the day I got them, had to put them back in quickly before they closed, but the feeling of cotton wool in my ear made me fell all wierd, but only chance this if you know how to put them back in quickly!!! lol
    guns force a blunt stud through your ear and cause trauma and scar tissue. guns cannot be sterilised, it is possible to catch various diseases and infections from them. the person using the gun has normally watched a 5 minute video on how to do it, and will of practiced on a teddy bear or something ridiculous. the stud can get stuck halfway through the lobe, and have to be pulled out and done again, causing more trauma. if they are used on cartilidge, they can cause ear collapse and other various problems

a piercer using a needle, would have had to spend years on an apprentiship. they use the same quality needle that doctors use, that are extremely SHARP. they cause minimum trauma, are less painfull etc etc, will be done in a CLEAN environment etc

taking them out is plain stupid, if you had a wound on your arm, would you rub a piece of metal in it everyday? no of course not. taking it in and out is just going to cause more aggravation and will likely pull 'crusties' and other material into the piercing, prolonging the healing time and increasing the chance of infection

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by nolongerhearthemusic)
    Not really. Skin doesn't grow onto metal. It could stick due to lymph, but the proper way to remove that is to soak it off with hot salt water, not to twist the jewellery which just damages the wound and twists dirt and bacteria into it, leading to increased healing times and the possibility of infection.

Lol thanks, wtf **** advice did I get when I got mine done!?

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by didgeridoo12uk)
    guns force a blunt stud through your ear and cause trauma and scar tissue. guns cannot be sterilised, it is possible to catch various diseases and infections from them. the person using the gun has normally watched a 5 minute video on how to do it, and will of practiced on a teddy bear or something ridiculous. the stud can get stuck halfway through the lobe, and have to be pulled out and done again, causing more trauma. if they are used on cartilidge, they can cause ear collapse and other various problems

a piercer using a needle, would have had to spend years on an apprentiship. they use the same quality needle that doctors use, that are extremely SHARP. they cause minimum trauma, are less painfull etc etc, will be done in a CLEAN environment etc

taking them out is plain stupid, if you had a wound on your arm, would you rub a piece of metal in it everyday? no of course not. taking it in and out is just going to cause more aggravation and will likely pull 'crusties' and other material into the piercing, prolonging the healing time and increasing the chance of infection
    to be honest I don't care!! My ears are totally fine. At least I could clean them proply. They didn't get infected. would not do that for belly/tounge though

ReputationRep:
    to be honest I don't care!! My ears are totally fine. At least I could clean them proply. They didn't get infected. would not do that for belly/tounge though
    yeh but some people never wear seatbelts and are totally fine. and other people dont wear seatbelts and are dead.

if theres a safer and better way of doing something, which involves literally no more effort. its just plain common sense to do it

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by littlemiss-sunshine)
    I got my ears pierced yesterday evening, and I've been told that I have to clean them and turn the earrings twice a day so that I don't get an infection. But when I cleaned them and tried to turn them last night I almost fainted (though it didn't hurt) and it was the same this morning. Has this happened to anyone else who had their ears pierced? I'm hoping that it will stop soon
    Bless you, I has my ears pierced when I was 10 and I threw up in the back of the jewellers lol. Every time I tried to clean them I would nearly pass out but after awhile you become desensitised to it.

ReputationRep:
    yeh but some people never wear seatbelts and are totally fine. and other people dont wear seatbelts and are dead.

if theres a safer and better way of doing something, which involves literally no more effort. its just plain common sense to do it
    I would not compare me taking my earings out every night for about 20seconds, to not wearing a seat belt which is life and death! That's just going to far.

For the needle instead of gun, ok maby they should use them, but since you are still allowed to use the gun (you are not allowed to travel without seatbelt) I don't think it's a big deal if you get your ears pierced by a gun! You are not braking the law

bad comparison dude!

ReputationRep:

I tell you, if I ever have a child that wants their ear piercing, they are going to a proper piercing place

I was in claire's the other day and this advert came out over their radio saying how they were the best for ear piercing etc, I had to bite my tongue over that

ReputationRep:
    I would not compare me taking my earings out every night for about 20seconds, to not wearing a seat belt which is life and death! That's just going to far.

For the needle instead of gun, ok maby they should use them, but since you are still allowed to use the gun (you are not allowed to travel without seatbelt) I don't think it's a big deal if you get your ears pierced by a gun! You are not braking the law

bad comparison dude!
    perfectly valid comparison. the whole point of it was to exagerrate the situation. not using common sense it just stupid.

and just because somethings legal it doesnt mean it should be done. lets smoke 100 **** a day and drink ourselves senseless every night.... yeh thats a great plan. again... common sense means we dont do this

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by loz_fairy)
    I tell you, if I ever have a child that wants their ear piercing, they are going to a proper piercing place

I was in claire's the other day and this advert came out over their radio saying how they were the best for ear piercing etc, I had to bite my tongue over that
    finally some support!

ReputationRep:
    finally some support!
    I was arguing against guns as well!

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by nolongerhearthemusic)
    I was arguing against guns as well!
    well thanks to you too (y). is there not a sticky somewhere with all this stuff already on it

ReputationRep:
    Yeah, I get that. When taking my earrings out nearly makes me vomit. I fainted when getting one of my ears done

ReputationRep:
    well thanks to you too (y). is there not a sticky somewhere with all this stuff already on it
    There was a 'Body Mods Society' with this stuff in it, but I don't know where that is

ReputationRep:
    I felt a bit feint when i had 6mm of cartilage punched out of my ear... is this normal? :rolleyes:

seriously though, good to see people getting out the info on piercing guns. They should be banned.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by iCyberbully)
    why do they still use guns? :/

http://uk.youtube.com/watch?v=IKCW76znIwk
    Because lobes are one of the few places you can use blunt force and not destroy the surrounding tissues.

I know one of the girls in your sig, btw :P

ReputationRep:
    perfectly valid comparison. the whole point of it was to exagerrate the situation. not using common sense it just stupid.

and just because somethings legal it doesnt mean it should be done. lets smoke 100 **** a day and drink ourselves senseless every night.... yeh thats a great plan. again... common sense means we dont do this
    I am not arguing against your point!
    but all this talk about diseases/infections are overexagarated theses days - my gran pierced her earings herself with a saftey pin!
    I can acctually say I have never had an infection and never been on antibiotics so I shall carry on doing things the way I do them. And common sense did not tell me not to take my earings out, I just had the urge to do so! And I thought a pharmcy would be a good place to get them done...wouldn't you??

ReputationRep:

To be fair, I've only ever had my lobes and nose done with guns, and they've all been fine. My first lot of lobes were done at Claire's *cringe* and my other two were done at professional piercer's, where I saw them taking fresh guns out of packaging each time. I think the main problem with it is the fact that in places like Claire's, they just send you off with a bottle of saline, and no real aftercare advice, and they aren't properly trained to help if something DOES go wrong.

I've not had any major problems any time I've had my lobes done, but my friend who had hers done with needles had MASSIVE problems with infections from the start, and I had to clean them for her to make sure everything was being done properly.

My nose has been completely fine too. I think the bottom line is, Claire's = bad, but as long as it's done by a professional, with proper training, and able to give decent aftercare advice, I can't see the problem.

ReputationRep:
    I am not arguing against your point!
    but all this talk about diseases/infections are overexagarated theses days - my gran pierced her earings herself with a saftey pin!
    I can acctually say I have never had an infection and never been on antibiotics so I shall carry on doing things the way I do them. And common sense did not tell me not to take my earings out, I just had the urge to do so! And I thought a pharmcy would be a good place to get them done...wouldn't you??
    No.. a professional piercers would be a sensible place to get it done.. the clue is in the title.

A safety pin may actually be less dangerous than a gun, at least its less likely to have other peoples blood on it. Yes talk about diseases and infections are exaggerated, but thats no excuse to chose to do something stupid like piercing guns.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by SoundDevastation)
    No.. a professional piercers would be a sensible place to get it done.. the clue is in the title.

A safety pin may actually be less dangerous than a gun, at least its less likely to have other peoples blood on it. Yes talk about diseases and infections are exaggerated, but thats no excuse to chose to do something stupid like piercing guns.
    It's not stupid though!!!

ReputationRep:
    It's not stupid though!!!
    Have you read the BMEzine link?

Submit reply
TSR Support Team

We have a brilliant team of more than 60 Support Team members looking after discussions on The Student Room, helping to make it a fun, safe and useful place to hang out.

Updated: August 2, 2017
  • See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• Poll
    Break up or unrequited love?
  • See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Quick reply
    Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.