Announcements

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by SoundDevastation)
    Have you read the BMEzine link?
    Why would I??

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by x_dwin_ffeimys_x)
    Why would I??
    To actually have some information in your argument...

ReputationRep:
    To actually have some information in your argument...
    Don't need any, I'm not arguing against you. I'm just saying that I can do what I want..... I don't care! I'm not stupid, I'm adventurous lmfao!!

ReputationRep:
    Don't need any, I'm not arguing against you. I'm just saying that I can do what I want..... I don't care! I'm not stupid, I'm adventurous lmfao!!
    Theres a fine line between stupid and adventurous.. and that article will show you which side piercing guns are on..

ReputationRep:
    Theres a fine line between stupid and adventurous.. and that article will show you which side piercing guns are on..
    What side is bunje jumping on?

ReputationRep:
    What side is bunje jumping on?
    lol its hardly comparable, but..

adventurous. Its more dangerous yes, but you gain an experience that you cant get from any other activity. Gain outweighs the risks..

All you gain from chosing piercing guns over a needle is a fiver left in your pocket. Risks outweigh the gain.

ReputationRep:
    lol its hardly comparable, but..

adventurous. Its more dangerous yes, but you gain an experience that you cant get from any other activity. Gain outweighs the risks..

All you gain from chosing piercing guns over a needle is a fiver left in your pocket. Risks outweigh the gain.
    I think we are being silly now!! arguing about guns and needles at 1.49am!!! haha
    but you still don't win.:laughing:

ReputationRep:
    I think we are being silly now!! arguing about guns and needles at 1.49am!!! haha
    but you still don't win.:laughing:
    Do you have any information to back up your claims that piercing guns are perfectly safe?

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by nolongerhearthemusic)
    Do you have any information to back up your claims that piercing guns are perfectly safe?
    safe for me yes.....4 piercings no infection

ReputationRep:
    Oh dear, I got my ears pierced today (finally) by a piercer using a gun! Oh well, I'm just about the clean them now. Getting them pierced really wasn't that sore at all, and they feel fine now so I'm very happy. I'll let you know if I start to feel a little dodgy, though I doubt I will.

ReputationRep:
    safe for me yes.....4 piercings no infection
    On the basis of your anecdotes, I have clearly changed my mind. :rolleyes:

Do you have a gun and a needle piercing to compare them?

ReputationRep:
    On the basis of your anecdotes, I have clearly changed my mind. :rolleyes:

Do you have a gun and a needle piercing to compare them?
    ymmm nope
    I am not saying the gun is better, all I said was that I used a gun and didn't see anything wrong with it, so got my others done with a gun too!

ReputationRep:
    ymmm nope
    I am not saying the gun is better, all I said was that I used a gun and didn't see anything wrong with it, so got my others done with a gun too!
    You're also completely refusing to read any information on the topic. You automatically lose.

ReputationRep:
    You're also completely refusing to read any information on the topic. You automatically lose.
    I have beter things to do - i don't want any more piercings. So I don't want to waste my time reading information stuff.

ReputationRep:
    I have beter things to do - i don't want any more piercings. So I don't want to waste my time reading information stuff.
    Then stop wasting your time arguing when you're clearly wrong.

ReputationRep:
    Then stop wasting your time arguing when you're clearly wrong.
    I am not arguing though!!!!! GOD!!!!! chill dude
    I said I can do what I want, I'll have mine done cheaply with a gun, so what about these information stuff, it's my body.

ReputationRep:
    I assume mine were done with a gun, but there was something attached to it which had the earrings in so the part in contact with my ears was just the extra bit added which came in a plastic packet (like needles do) so was sterile. It was done in a proper, reputable jewellers and my sister had hers done there last year and they were fine. Also it wasn't exactly cheap; the earrings were about £22 and are good quality. I'm fairly certain that the feeling faint was because I'm not used to it, rather than any dodgy piercing procedures... anyway I can turn them fine now and I'm inclined to follow the jeweller's instructions seeing as they worked for my sister.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by littlemiss-sunshine)
    I assume mine were done with a gun, but there was something attached to it which had the earrings in so the part in contact with my ears was just the extra bit added which came in a plastic packet (like needles do) so was sterile. It was done in a proper, reputable jewellers and my sister had hers done there last year and they were fine. Also it wasn't exactly cheap; the earrings were about £22 and are good quality. I'm fairly certain that the feeling faint was because I'm not used to it, rather than any dodgy piercing procedures... anyway I can turn them fine now and I'm inclined to follow the jeweller's instructions seeing as they worked for my sister.
    Just because they worked for someone else doesn't mean it's the best universal advice. Honestly, turning the jewellery is completely unnecessary and just aggravates the tissue that's trying to heal. Every time you turn the earrings you irritate it. If you have a cut you wouldn't wipe or rub it twice a day to help it heal, would you?

A professional piercer knows far more about anatomy and healing than a jeweller does. Only use hot sea salt soaks to clean the piercings too, as the solutions giving in jewellers often contain harsh chemicals such as benzalkonium chloride, which are...well, harsh! They're often irritating and can extend healing times. Sea salt soaks are gentle and soothing, and the heat helps to draw lymph out of the piercing and encourages blood flow to the area.

All of my gunned piercings healed fine too, but it's still the inferior method. Needles are much, much better, and a piercer using a needle is a hell of a lot more knowledgeable than some jeweller or Claire's worker with a couple of days 'training'. Some people do their piercings with safety pins and drawing pins and they might manage to heal, but that doesn't mean it's a good idea ;D

ReputationRep:
    I got my first pearcings at the pharmacy, second holes at a jewellers...both did them the same way... with a gun, why would you se a needle?? when the gun is just as good??

and to the clenaing bit, I took them out every day since the day I got them, had to put them back in quickly before they closed, but the feeling of cotton wool in my ear made me fell all wierd, but only chance this if you know how to put them back in quickly!!! lol
    The gun IS NOT just as good, the gun just traumatises your ear through breaking the skin, whereas the needle slits the skin making is easier, a lot smoother, and less painful.

ReputationRep:
    When I got my ears pierced with a gun just over a year ago I nearly passed out, had to sit down and put my head between my knees-wasn't fun. :p:

Anway, if you try turning them more often you get used to it more quickly, and then it's not so painful.

Submit reply
TSR Support Team

We have a brilliant team of more than 60 Support Team members looking after discussions on The Student Room, helping to make it a fun, safe and useful place to hang out.

Updated: August 2, 2017
  • See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• Poll
    How are your GCSEs going so far?
  • See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Quick reply
    Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.