Artemis Fowl Movie Update

Watch
This discussion is closed.
RememberingJoeT
Badges:
Report 16 years ago
Hello, I am very interested in this thread. I have read Artemis Fowl for a very LONG time. I have bennifited greatly from the info provided here, and give my complements to "Choco Frog Girl" (Almost indefinately a HP fan) for her excellent leadership skills in this Fourum. Bravo.
I too think there should be more discusion on the possible cast for the movie. Now I am not the most Celeberaty savvy person so I can only list needed charicteristics for the cast.

Artemis should be played by some one who:
Looks good w/ pale skin and black hair
Can be believalby evil. So much so that you nearly hate him... But are so intrueged with him that you are simply drawn to loving him.
Good looking Irish12-13 year old. :cool:
Pulls of the Hansome "Bad guy?" look

Holly:
Looks good and natural with nut brown skin and red hair.
Accent is a little bit of everything
Petite build
Can be at some time funny, but at other times almost frightening.

This movie and the forth book do, as some one said before, "Have the potetial to suck", but they also have the potential to be amazingly good. Let's not give up hope in Eoin Colfer or Artemis Fowl.
RememberingJoeT
Badges:
Report 16 years ago
Ever So sorry to post again so soon but I found a wonderous artical on mugglenet.com trying to prove that
Artemis Fowl is not like HARRYPOTTER!!! Don't judge the artical ,( or me for that matter ) before you reach the stories end.
Fowl Lies

This artical is not exactly about Harry Potter, but it revolves around the HP world. See, as you may , I spent the last week on vacation. My best friend's parents rented a beautiful three-story oceanfront beach house, and let me tell you, this was a dream house. It even had an elevator! And, wanting to become acquainted with every couch in the house (there were roughly fifty-six), I decided to spend this vacation relaxing with my favorite pasttime, besides writing: reading. So I went out and bought a few books, and that is where this story begins.

See, being a very serious HP fan, I try to read every newspaper and magazine article out there. And in many of them, I have seen references to two other sets of fantasy books that are considered HP rivals. One is Philip Pullman's His Dark Materials Trilogy, and the other are the Artemis Fowl books, by Eoin Colfer. I also noticed that mentioning either of these books in certain HP circles is considered blasphemous, and punishable by death (in case you're wondering, last time I uttered the word "Artemis" to a group of HP fans, I was immediately threatened with a cage of rather hungry Blast-Ended Skrewts, which are surprisingly cute when they aren't blasting reams of fire from their bumsides). So, I did what I knew I had to do: I attempted to read those books.

So I started with Artemis Fowl. Of course, I went into those books feeling very hesitant, as I have heard that they are blatant HP ripoffs. I picked up the first book, called, simply, Artemis Fowl, a gold-colored book with odd symbols running along the bottom of every page. First I read the back cover, which gave a short synopsis of the book. Hmm...ok, so Artemis is a twelve-year-old genius. No biggie there, I was too...err...anyways, he's also a crook. And there's something about fairies. Fairies? Fairies are pansies, why am I even looking at this book? But I couldn't be unfair about it, and I bought the book and took it home. First fifty pages went by interestingly enough. But it wasn't one of those "I-can't-put-this-book-down-even-though-I-have-to-go-to-the-bathroom-before-my-bladder-explodes-into-millions-of-tiny-shards-of-skin". Yet.

The second day, I started around page fifty, and that was the end of my days not knowing about Artemis Fowl. I finished it the second night, and, knowing that there was two more books out there, eagerly anticipated getting the next two. I bought the second one before I went away, as a vacation read, and I actually bought the third one while on vacation, because I couldn't wait to see how it ended. These books were, for lack of a better word, fantastic. Absolutely fantastic, in fact.

Now, about this whole HP ripoff thing. You all need to know this, because there's no way around it: JK Rowling, the master, the supreme storyteller in my heart, unfortunately DID NOT create fantasy. She didn't create centaurs, or trolls, or other galaxies before anyone else. Granted, she does it better than anyone else, but it doesn't mean that she's an innovator in fantasy. What she IS an innovator in is storytelling, in which she seems almost unrivaled. But Eoin Colfer has come damn close. When I first looked back, it seemed that I may have even liked Artemis Fowl more than HP. I realized, however, that I simply loved it because it was good, and different. It wasn't Harry Potter, not in any way, shape, or form.

Examples are, I'm sure, in order. First, the ideas of magic. In Harry Potter, characters cast spells, make potions, etc. In Artemis Fowl, magic is used by fairies to heal one another. Second, the characters in Artemis Fowl eventually end up living symbiotically (they live with and off one another, for you younger readers), whereas in Harry Potter, the magical world for the most part lives apart from the Muggle world. Which brings another point: in HP, its magical and Muggle worlds; in Artemis Fowl, it's the People (fairies, who live underground) and the Mud People (humans). And trust me, these fairies aren't the kind of pixies that have little wands with dust coming out of them. In fact, their "wands" come in the shape of nuclear-powered weapons such as the Neutrino 2000. Next, and possibly, most importantly, is characters. The first thing I noticed was the fact that there is a centaur very prominent in Artemis Fowl, a centaur named Foaly, who happens to be extremely smart. Much like Firenze. However, unlike Firenze, Foaly is one hell of a smartass. Bigtime smartass, in fact, and he happens to be one of my favorite characters of any book ever. Don't get me wrong, I love Firenze (I was so happy when Dumbledore introduced him as the new Divination teacher that I literally shouted out loud), but Foaly is cool in a totally different way. Those two characters are nothing alike, much like Harry and Artemis. For starters, Harry is part of the hidden world, where Artemis is not. Harry can do magic; Artemis cannot. And Artemis shows a whole lot more intelligence than Harry does. The prominent female role in HP is Hermione Granger, Harry's best friend besides Ron (who, by the way, if Artemis Fowl is an HP ripoff, there is no character in Ron's position in Artemis Fowl). In Artemis Fowl, the prominent female figure is Holly Short, a captain in the LEPrecon (Lower Elements Police Reconaissance) squad. Harry's mentor can be Dumbledore, Sirius, or the like; for Artemis, his only adult companion comes in the form of Butler, the shaven-head manbeast whose only magic comes from a Sig Sauer and his ability to snap a neck before the enemy has time to soil himself. There are a million more differences, and even though Artemis Fowl is called the Irish Harry Potter, it is nothing like HP. It is a new, imaginative world, and I for one cannot wait to see it grow.

:cool: See what I mean.
choco_frog_chic
Badges: 0
Report 16 years ago
awww!! i feel so special! thanks for the shout out, dude, and yes, im a fan of HP. I like this thread much betta than the HP 1. in response to your descriptions of our fav criminal mastermind and elf, i agree, but of course, hair colour doesn't really matter, as long as it looks natural on them (i hate it when ppl dye their hair black and it looks like they dunked their head in oil). omg, ive read that article too, thas weird, mugglenet.com is my fav HP site, but i hate it when ppl draw pointless comparisons between HP and Arty.
oooh... that wuz me with the "suck" thing, but just to get it rite, i think the movie cud rock - its the 4th book i'm worried about.
Rinok12
Badges:
Report 16 years ago
why would any ARTEMIS FOWL FAN CALL him the irish harry potter
that just pisses me aff so much !!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! :eek: :mad: :mad:
Rinok12
Badges:
Report 16 years ago
why is't any 1 posting anything new any moor
Rinok12
Badges:
Report 16 years ago
nobody has posted anything since like 5 days ago :confused:
Rinok12
Badges:
Report 16 years ago
hey choco frog chick wut do u look like u sound hot
(by the way im 13) :cool:
choco_frog_chic
Report 16 years ago
(Original post by Rinok12)
hey choco frog chick wut do u look like u sound hot
(by the way im 13) :cool:
i 'sound' hot??!! oookk. i... just look normal... green eyes, brown hair... y r we talking about this?
let's get back on the topic @ hand - where the hell is every1?! :confused:
p.s. ur rite, no Arty fan would ever say that 'irish HP' thang - it's probably just stereotyping critics.
SMoffa
Report 16 years ago
(Original post by Ellen Rebecca)
That "Four Windmills" thing was a bit of a mix-up (and a badly designed bit of cover presentation if you ask me). I had a look to see what this was all about and found out that it's definately NOT the title, I think it's the company who sell certain copies of the books or the tapes or something like that any way (OK, I know I'm sounding stupid now, but it's not important).

The title of the fourth Artemis Fowl book is Artemis Fowl and The Seventh Dwarf - Mulch obviously, good news for Mulich fans - and GOD am I looking forward to it! I miss Artemis.
Mulch and Foaly are very funny, Holly Short is super cool, but Artemis is my favourite.
Sorry to birst your bubble but Artemis Fowl The Seventh Dwarf is only a very short story that fits between the first and second books. I am getting soooooooooo agravated with all these rumors.
MissVicky14
Report 16 years ago
I have, as of now, decoded the symbols at the bottom of the page in the first Artemis Fowl book and it is as follows :

Carry me always
Carry me well.
I am the teacher
Of herb and spell.

The prophecies of Ohm phlegm-pot cleaner to frond elfin king.
I am Ohm Phlegm-pot cleaner to the king but I am much more than that for I see the future written in the phlegm. For centuries we pixies have read the phlegm but I am the best there has ever been. My visions are generally of little importance. I foretell outbreaks of troll pox or gas spasms among elderly dwarfs. But sometimes even a poor pot cleaner can see wondrous things. A vision came to me two moons ago when I was gazing deep into his majestys own phlegm pot. I was heating the pot over a flame when the sign appeared. This vision was more vivid and detailed than any I had prefiously seen. Because of its importance I decided to write it down for posterity. And so I can say I told you so. I saw an age when the people have been driven underground by they mud men. This is what the phlegm told me. In this time one shall come among us. Fowl by name and foul by nature. A mud man unlike any other. He shall learn our secrets and use them against us. I see him now as plain as day. His face is pale, he has dark eyes, and raven hair. Yet it must be a mistake for he seems a mere youth. Surely no mud boy could outwit the people. But now I see that the boy is not alone. He is aided by a formidable warrior scarred from a thousand battles. This Fowl shall hold the people to ransom for their most precious possessions. Gold. And in spite of all our magic there is a chance that he will prevail. For he has discovered how to escape the time field. Unfortunately how the story ends I cannot say. But there was more to see. There is another story to come. Someone will bring the people and mud men together. The worst of both races. This fairy’s goal is to grind all the creatures of the earth beneath his boot. And who is this traitor it is not clear. But he shall start a war unlike anything the people have ever seen. Those who were enemies shall be united against him. And for the first time there will be mud men below ground. I have one clue to his identity-a riddle:

Goblins shall rise and haven shall fall
A villainous elf is behind it all
To find the one who so disappoints
Look ye to where the finger points.

Instead of one face this elf has two.
Both speak false and none speak true.
While publicly he lends a helping hand
His true aim is to seize command.

I know. It’s not very plain is it, I don’t understand it either. But perhaps in the future all will become clear. Look for a power hungry elf who has a finger pointed at him during our tale.
And so this is Ohm’s legacy. A warning that may save the world from total destruction. There’s not much to work with, I know. The details are a bit sketchy. My advice to you is to consult the phlegm. It may be that you are sensitive. I have buried this prophecy with my phlegm pot. If you are now fortunate enough to work as a pot cleaner then there is usually a supply of phlegm every time you have a cold.
Here ende to the first prophecies of Ohm. But because of the importance of my visions I shall repeat the prophecies once more. If you have just begun to understand the text then read on. If you have worked out the entire message then congratulations. Now go and save the world.

After that it simply repeats all over again. Apparently, it's some kind of pixie from a long time ago named Ohm writting down a prophecy he saw in a pot of phlegm-whatever that is...
Ruenna
Report 16 years ago
Wow!!! This place has really taken off!!! I was here on the first page. Look at it now! It's doing exactly what I inteneded it to do. Getting people into Artemis Fowl. Anything new on the movies? Ihaven't checked in a while. At a point, I thought they were'nt making it anymore. I thought it had dropped off the face of the earth or something? Anyone know about the movie? :rolleyes:
Rinok12
Badges:
Report 16 years ago
(Original post by Ruenna)
Excuse me! :mad: I am 14, and I will not tolerate that! This is an AF thread! Leave her alone and haul your maggoty carcass to some other thread if your not gonna talk about Arty.
HEY SCREW U MAN IM 13 AND SHE SOUNDS HOT CANT A GUY ASK A GIRL IF SHES HOT IN THIS COUNTRY!!!?
:mad: :mad: :mad: :mad: :mad:
Rinok12
Badges:
Report 16 years ago
[QUOTE=MissVicky14][COLOR=DarkSlateBlue]I have, as of now, decoded the symbols at the bottom of the page in the first Artemis Fowl book and it is as follows :

QUIT POSTING THEESE THINGS EVERY 1 KNO'S WAT THEY MEEN!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!1
choco_frog_chic
Report 16 years ago
HEY SCREW U MAN IM 13 AND SHE SOUNDS HOT CANT A GUY ASK A GIRL IF SHES HOT IN THIS COUNTRY!!!?
in a sense i agree - if every1 stayed exactly on topic no1 wud have anything to talk about: we're not exactly being flooded with news here. this thread wud be totally dead. but there r always private messages if u want to say something remotely private to some1. and y do ppl keep saying their age?
fowlfanfreak
Report 16 years ago
sup guys

the new book is going to be called
the adventure of mulch diggums

ARTIMIS FOWL ROCKS!!!!! :cool:
fowlfanfreak
Report 16 years ago
I know. It’s not very plain is it, I don’t understand it either. But perhaps in the future all will become clear. Look for a power hungry elf who has a finger pointed at him during our tale.

lol i thought that was still part of the decodeings! :p:o
fowlfanfreak
Report 16 years ago

that funny dude yur right freedom of speech man all the way! :cool:
fowlfanfreak
Report 16 years ago
keepin it kool :cool:
DeeEm
Report 16 years ago
lol people get so irate in chat rooms.

i couldnt be arsed to go through all the stuff thats been written already, so here's what i know - its bein (at the moment) directed by lawrence guterman, who directed cats and dogs, and the upcoming mask sequel Son of the Mask. This doesn't bode well. the writer is john stockwell, he of blue crush writing fame and crazy beautiful directing film, which bodes no better. however, the property is ebing handled by miramax, and robert de niro's producing, so perhaps we can expect it to be treated with some respect.

no casting news so far. i hope they get an unknown to play artemis. as long as he's capable. I'm not sure Seamus could pull it off... he can't even manage a simple flying charm after all.
choco_frog_chic
Report 16 years ago
(Original post by DeeEm)
lol people get so irate in chat rooms.

i couldnt be arsed to go through all the stuff thats been written already, so here's what i know - its bein (at the moment) directed by lawrence guterman, who directed cats and dogs, and the upcoming mask sequel Son of the Mask. This doesn't bode well. the writer is john stockwell, he of blue crush writing fame and crazy beautiful directing film, which bodes no better. however, the property is ebing handled by miramax, and robert de niro's producing, so perhaps we can expect it to be treated with some respect.

no casting news so far. i hope they get an unknown to play artemis. as long as he's capable. I'm not sure Seamus could pull it off... he can't even manage a simple flying charm after all.
lol i like the seamus remark. hmmm, i didnt kno that lawrence dude was directing, or mayb i did and it just didnt matter to me so i 4got. eewww, i hated cats & dogs... lets hope the arty movie duz not suck as much as that movie did. did u kno they're making a cats & dogs sequel?? cant imagine y... again, it sucked.
X
Back
to top
Latest
My Feed

See more of what you like on
The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

Personalise

Following the government's announcement, do you think you will be awarded a fair grade this year?

Yes (528)
51.21%
No (503)
48.79%

Watched Threads