The Student Room Group

How long would it take you to write a 3500 word essay from scratch?

I haven't started yet and it is due in Monday morning:eek:

As I'm a medical student we never really get the opportunity to write essays and now that I have to write one I'm a little stressed!

It's about screening for chlamydia (thrilling!)....which isn't too bad, it's just weighing down on me and I need to get it done!

If from experience people feel that many words is not doable by Monday let me know as perhaps I can get away with an extension!

Scroll to see replies

Reply 1
Yes because the way to get a late essay done is to post on TSR asking if you can get it done.
Yo'll be fine. If you want good quality then you're going to need to do a lot of reading, however you can probably cut this down by reading other papers (however, be very careful with plagiarism). Try your online library resources and search for your topic.

You can do it, but don't procrastinate. (In other words, get off the internet!)
It would take me months of agony and heartbreak to write a 300 word essay. I love the fact that most of my course involves ticking boxes.
Reply 4
Devel
Yes because the way to get a late essay done is to post on TSR asking if you can get it done.

No need to be rude.:rolleyes: I'm not procrastinating by asking people on TSR, it is a genuine query as I would rather inform my supervisor now if I suspect I may not get it done on time rather than set myself an unrealistic goal..
Reply 5
3,500 words, and you've got a whole weekend... I don't think I ever took any longer than that to write a 3,500 word essay...
Reply 6
Heartbroken9

As I'm a medical student we never really get the opportunity to write essays and now that I have to write one I'm a little stressed!

It's about screening for chlamydia (thrilling!)....which isn't too bad, it's just weighing down on me and I need to get it done!

If from experience people feel that many words is not doable by Monday let me know as perhaps I can get away with an extension!

4 hours, but it would be ****.

1 week it would be pretty damn good.

2 days, passable.
Reply 7
Heartbroken9
No need to be rude.:rolleyes: I'm not procrastinating by asking people on TSR, it is a genuine query as I would rather inform my supervisor now if I suspect I may not get it done on time rather than set myself an unrealistic goal..

I understand that but how are we meant to know how well you can produce quick work? You could be the world record holder for fastest essay writer, or you may have no arms have have to type with your nose. :awesome:
Reply 8
You've got an easy topic, it can be done in a day, but it won't be amazing. A good essay really does take a solid 4~5 days to write.
Reply 9
Heartbroken9

I did 3000 words in December (twice) within 12 hours. Blah, nae bother.
Gah I'm in a similar situation myself. I have two 1,500 essays due in by Tuesday. I know wtf was I doing all holidays... They're only practice essays though.

You'll be able to do it in a week end. It might not be as good as if you'd spent a week on it but I'm sure you can get it done.
Reply 11
I have two 2500 word essays for wednesday next week. I'm not all that fussed yet, wrote 500 words in a couple of hours today, so probably another 20 hours or so work. Maybe 5 tomorrow, none monday (back to uni party) then emm 10 tuesday day/night and another 5 wednesday before 5pm deadline :biggrin: It'll be fine.
miss_world
Gah I'm in a similar situation myself. I have two 1,500 essays due in by Tuesday. I know wtf was I doing all holidays... They're only practice essays though.

You'll be able to do it in a week end. It might not be as good as if you'd spent a week on it but I'm sure you can get it done.

Haha! Hey this is a bit off-topic but I noticed you're doing Russian and French at UCL. My friend is applying to study Russian and German there, do you know anybody with a few words of wisdom about the course who would be willing to chat to her on msn or something?!
Ed.
I have two 2500 word essays for wednesday next week. I'm not all that fussed yet, wrote 500 words in a couple of hours today, so probably another 20 hours or so work. Maybe 5 tomorrow, none monday (back to uni party) then emm 10 tuesday day/night and another 5 wednesday before 5pm deadline :biggrin: It'll be fine.

Let's get onto it!!
Prudy
1 week it would be pretty damn good.

Glad you said that. Always felt I wasn't being economical with my time but the best essays will have a lot of prior reading as there will be sources you will filter out. I give one week per essay and I do one at a time. I can never seem to do more than one essay at a time at great depth, partly because of the amount of books I get out from the library.
Reply 15
Heartbroken9
Let's get onto it!!

Nah, I'm playing footie manager - got properly addicted to it at just the wrong time :frown:
Reply 16
24 hours.
Start at midnight.
Finish at midnight.
It can be done. :wink:
Reply 17
happy-and-lost
It would take me months of agony and heartbreak to write a 300 word essay. I love the fact that most of my course involves ticking boxes.

Err well, I heard that from second year onwards, biochemistry is predominantly assessed (both coursework and examination) with essays? :p: (I'm not trying to scare you though, honest :no:)

Anyway, it would take me two days to write a 3500 essay provided I liked the topic. If that wasn't the case, it would take me about a week :s-smilie:
Reply 18
4/5 hours, another couple at some point after for editing and finalising...sounds do-able imo...
Reply 19
L i b
3,500 words, and you've got a whole weekend... I don't think I ever took any longer than that to write a 3,500 word essay...

:ditto:

Quick Reply

Latest