This discussion is closed.
Sazzle
Badges: 1
Rep:
?
Report Thread starter 17 years ago
I've applied to Oxford and the dates specified in the prospectus for my subject are the 15th and 16th December with a possibility of being required on the 17th.

My question is, are these dates accurate? I live in Northern Ireland and so am booking flights - I understand you may not be informed of your int. date until 7 days beforehand and from some research yesterday it would appear it's already becoming a problem to get flights due to the date being so close to Christmas. So from peoples' experience on here do they stick to these dates and could I book my flights? I'm planning to contact the college directly but any advice would be appreciated.
not1
Badges: 15
Rep:
?
Report 17 years ago
(Original post by Sazzle)
I've applied to Oxford and the dates specified in the prospectus for my subject are the 15th and 16th December with a possibility of being required on the 17th.

My question is, are these dates accurate? I live in Northern Ireland and so am booking flights - I understand you may not be informed of your int. date until 7 days beforehand and from some research yesterday it would appear it's already becoming a problem to get flights due to the date being so close to Christmas. So from peoples' experience on here do they stick to these dates and could I book my flights? I'm planning to contact the college directly but any advise would be appreciated.
yes those are the set dates, they set them months in advance so people can arrange travel (like you)
Sazzle
Rep:
?
Great, thanks Edders.
not1
Badges: 15
Rep:
?
Report 17 years ago
Great, thanks Edders.
no probs
Unregistered
Badges:
Report 17 years ago
Great, thanks Edders.
Sazzle, which flight are you intending to take, because Heathrow is best for Oxford (having had some experience coming to it from Northern Ireland)
Sazzle
Rep:
?
(Original post by Unregistered)
Sazzle, which flight are you intending to take, because Heathrow is best for Oxford (having had some experience coming to it from Northern Ireland)
We had thought of going Aldergrove to Heathrow with British Midland but it was proving difficult to get flights, so we are now looking at other routes.

Did you live in Northern Ireland? - where abouts?
Unregistered
Badges:
Report 17 years ago
We had thought of going Aldergrove to Heathrow with British Midland but it was proving difficult to get flights, so we are now looking at other routes.

Did you live in Northern Ireland? - where abouts?
Close to you, Sazzle. But I'm a parent. BM don't fly from Aldergrove and more, it's all Belfast City. I booked mine home for Christmas at the weekend no probs.
Sazzle
Rep:
?
That's right, had forgotten that!

Not sure what the problem was it was my Dad who was trying to book.
Sazzle
Rep:
?
We're having to fly BA from Belfast City to Manchester and then to Heathrow - talk about making life complicated!

Also want to have a minor grumble about the system, how can a university that has all their applications from the middle of November at the latest, justify giving sometimes only 7 days notice of the interview? Yes you do know the dates in advance but you can't confirm you definately will be invited, and from what I remember Cambridge don't even have specified dates.
Unregistered
Badges:
Report 17 years ago
We're having to fly BA from Belfast City to Manchester and then to Heathrow - talk about making life complicated!

Also want to have a minor grumble about the system, how can a university that has all their applications from the middle of November at the latest, justify giving sometimes only 7 days notice of the interview? Yes you do know the dates in advance but you can't confirm you definately will be invited, and from what I remember Cambridge don't even have specified dates.
Are you sorted, Sazzle. The college normally puts you up from the evening before. I know you can have a relatively short notice of your actual interview but we went ahead and booked early enough to get the choice of flights.

There is a bus leaving for Oxford, every half hour from Heathrow. It's very handy. Good luck, I hope it all works out.

NI
PQ
Badges: 21
Rep:
?
Report 17 years ago
Have you looked into flying into Southampton Airport (Flybe a low cost airline goes direct from Belfast City) and it's only an hour/hour and a halfs drive/train journey (there's a train station *at* soton airport) to Oxford from there.

Just checked the prices and it's £120 per person for a return trip (getting into Soton at 11am on the 14th (leaving BC at 9:30am) and leaving at 7:45PM on the 17th (getting into BC at 9:15pm).

Trains leave every hour and a return would cost £25.60.
Unregistered
Badges:
Report 17 years ago
Stansted has the JL757. any questions about oxford busses to airports can be directed at me, as I've lived here for 16 years, and travel a lot
Unregistered
Badges:
Report 17 years ago
(Original post by Pencil Queen)
Have you looked into flying into Southampton Airport (Flybe a low cost airline goes direct from Belfast City) and it's only an hour/hour and a halfs drive/train journey (there's a train station *at* soton airport) to Oxford from there.

Just checked the prices and it's £120 per person for a return trip (getting into Soton at 11am on the 14th (leaving BC at 9:30am) and leaving at 7:45PM on the 17th (getting into BC at 9:15pm).

Trains leave every hour and a return would cost £25.60.
You are the master (or should I say mistress ;-)) of helping people out!
Sazzle
Rep:
?
Thanks for all that info Pencil Queen! It would be nice to fly to Soton as that is where I'm originally from and could see some old friends, but we have now booked that Heathrow flight - I swear Dad did it to annoy me as he knows I hate flying so 2 take-offs to do each way! :rolleyes: I suppose it makes sense to use HT as on the Wed night I am going to Olympia to see some dressage and then we are going to go out and stay by the airport.

The college said that if I get asked for interview they can provide accommodation for all the nights Sun-Wed if needed.

We are hiring a car as Dad is going to stay with relatives in Bicester so don't need coaches this time (hopefully will in the future, though probably to take me to Oxford Brookes! )
hildabeast
Badges: 7
Rep:
?
Report 17 years ago

My question is, are these dates accurate? I live in Northern Ireland and so am booking flights - I understand you may not be informed of your int. date until 7 days beforehand and from some research yesterday it would appear it's already becoming a problem to get flights due to the date being so close to Christmas. So from peoples' experience on here do they stick to these dates and could I book my flights? I'm planning to contact the college directly but any advise would be appreciated.
Do bear in mind that although most people do, nto everyone gets called for inerview, so you might want to check if you are able to cancel your flights for a fee just in case. Not that you won;t get called or anything, but there is always a possibility.

x-x-x-x-x-x-x-x-x-x-x-x-x-x-x-x
Sazzle
Rep:
?
(Original post by hildabeast)
Do bear in mind that although most people do, nto everyone gets called for inerview, so you might want to check if you are able to cancel your flights for a fee just in case. Not that you won;t get called or anything, but there is always a possibility.

x-x-x-x-x-x-x-x-x-x-x-x-x-x-x-x
I thought nearly everyone did if they met the basic requirements?

By booking with BA at least they tend to be a bit more flexible - anyway it would be a good excuse for a nice trip to London
hildabeast
Badges: 7
Rep:
?
Report 17 years ago
I thought nearly everyone did if they met the basic requirements?

By booking with BA at least they tend to be a bit more flexible - anyway it would be a good excuse for a nice trip to London
Yes, nearly everyone, but if there is one place for a subject at a college and 10 people apply for it, it is not always feasable to interview them all.

x-x-x-x-x-x-x-x-x-x-x-x-x-x-x-x-x
X
Back
to top
Latest
My Feed

See more of what you like on
The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

Personalise

Following the government's announcement, do you think you will be awarded a fair grade this year?

Yes (480)
51.72%
No (448)
48.28%

Watched Threads