A full A-level without one module completed Watch

This discussion is closed.
trev
Badges: 12
Rep:
?
Report Thread starter 13 years ago
I will be finishing my A-levels this year. For one of my A-levels, I will be doing 5 modules instead of 6 because my teacher said I won't have time to do the 6th module. He recommended me to take the 6th module in my gap year, and take the 4th and 5th module in the summer. By the way, I took the first 2 AS modules in january, and the 3rd one will be taken this summer. Therefore I will have 5 units (a full AS (3 units) and half a A2 (2 units (module 4 and 5).

Would I still get a grade although the 6th module is missing or do I only have a AS grade or would I have NO grade?

Would the uni's still accept me although I've done an AS and done the 4th and 5th module without having the 6th module grade, and doing the 6th module in my gap year? I don't want to apply next year though.

Hope you can help me out.
Aitch
Badges: 2
Rep:
?
Report 13 years ago
(Original post by trev)
I will be finishing my A-levels this year. For one of my A-levels, I will be doing 5 modules instead of 6 because my teacher said I won't have time to do the 6th module. He recommended me to take the 6th module in my gap year, and take the 4th and 5th module in the summer. By the way, I took the first 2 AS modules in january, and the 3rd one will be taken this summer. Therefore I will have 5 units (a full AS (3 units) and half a A2 (2 units (module 4 and 5).

Would I still get a grade although the 6th module is missing or do I only have a AS grade or would I have NO grade?

Would the uni's still accept me although I've done an AS and done the 4th and 5th module without having the 6th module grade, and doing the 6th module in my gap year? I don't want to apply next year though.

Hope you can help me out.
You must have an Exams officer who will give (or get) an authoritative answer for you.

Find him/her. Ask.

Aitch
trev
Rep:
?
Ok, thanks for the advice. By the way, that is my suggestion from my teacher. I will go ask the examinations officer.
Jump
Badges: 16
Rep:
?
Report 13 years ago
You could probably get it certified with only 5 modules although your grade is likely to be 1-2 lower than it should be, my suggestion would be to ask the exam officer, then ask uni's and worst comes worst, teach yourself the unit and make a private entry (£12 I think).

Good Luck
trev
Rep:
?
(Original post by jumpunderaboat)
You could probably get it certified with only 5 modules although your grade is likely to be 1-2 lower than it should be, my suggestion would be to ask the exam officer, then ask uni's and worst comes worst, teach yourself the unit and make a private entry (£12 I think).

Good Luck
I guess the 6th module (coursework) will be given a grade U or something. My teacher said I have no time this year, and do it during the gap year instead. I think I should do the whole A2 (module 4,5,6) in my gap year, and leave with an AS. Also, re apply next year. I don't want a bad grade without the 6th module. Don't know should I do this or not OR should I just do the module 4 & 5 exam this year and do the 6th module during my gap year.
Dr. Blazed
Rep:
?
Report 13 years ago
(Original post by trev)
My teacher said I have no time this year.
Time to do lots of work, then.
trev
Rep:
?
(Original post by Dr. Blazed)
Time to do lots of work, then.
That is not the point. My teacher said if I correct the module 3 AS coursework, there will be no time to start the module 6 coursework, because it will take a long time to correct module 3n and not enough time to do module 6 coursework.
cktlee1
Badges: 0
Rep:
?
Report 13 years ago
i would say, try your best to do as much of the last module as possible...maybe quite brief in all the section, and then expand it IF u have time at the end. I mean, u can gain a few easy marks that way and it can be added towards your total mark for A2. Its better to get a module mark of C D E than a U. I mean, after June if u didn't get a good enough A2 grade, u can re-do the coursework in your gap year then with something to work on.
Font
Rep:
?
Report 13 years ago
(Original post by cktlee1)
i would say, try your best to do as much of the last module as possible...

exactly. there is no such thing as not enough time. You just have to use the time you have more affectively. I mean there are people doing 6 A-levels and stuff. If they can do all that, then thinking about it logically, there must be more than enough time to do three or four. My advice is to cut down on the TV and stuff and get it done in your own time...it could affect your future...think of how badly you want warwick or whatever uni you want to go to, and get your priorities right....

...hope this advice was constructive. Sort of the same think happened with me with AS geog, and i just worked my ass off and did the geog assignment myself!, and it paid off

there is so such thing as a never...only a how? remember that
froggymills
Rep:
?
Report 13 years ago
Trev, Im in a very similar position and the answer is no. I think you will get certified for your AS but not ur A2. The exam boards issue a final grade once all 3 A2 modules have been completed since otherwise the subject is classed as uncomplete. Stupid really, but thats how it goes.
trev
Rep:
?
(Original post by froggymills)
Trev, Im in a very similar position and the answer is no. I think you will get certified for your AS but not ur A2. The exam boards issue a final grade once all 3 A2 modules have been completed since otherwise the subject is classed as uncomplete. Stupid really, but thats how it goes.
Alright then. So I guess I have to withdraw from UCAS then, as I won't meet the entrance requirements if I don't have that subject to a full A-level.

If I did the 2 A2 modules which I would be doing this summer (3 AS modules would be done in the summer too), what happens to that mark? Would it be a grade U or above or just a symbol meaning that this qualification is incomplete?
Font
Rep:
?
Report 13 years ago
(Original post by trev)
Alright then. So I guess I have to withdraw from UCAS then, as I won't meet the entrance requirements if I don't have that subject to a full A-level.

If I did the 2 A2 modules which I would be doing this summer (3 AS modules would be done in the summer too), what happens to that mark? Would it be a grade U or above or just a symbol meaning that this qualification is incomplete?
I advise you dont drop out yet...do teh coursework to the best of your ability, and see what heppens...you've put in too much effort to just call it quits! and you've wasted £15:eek:

my advice is see if yoou can find an example coursework...modify it...make it as decent as possible, and submit it...it'd be a shame if you canceled ucas, but in teh end, its up too you - choose wisely!!

Pk
trev
Rep:
?
(Original post by Phil23)
I advise you dont drop out yet...do teh coursework to the best of your ability, and see what heppens...you've put in too much effort to just call it quits! and you've wasted £15:eek:

my advice is see if yoou can find an example coursework...modify it...make it as decent as possible, and submit it...it'd be a shame if you canceled ucas, but in teh end, its up too you - choose wisely!!

Pk
Modifying the coursework and make it decent as possible is not good, as it can be classified as cheating, and i will be disqualified from the subject.

I guess I won't withdraw from ucas then. However, uni's might not accept me becaue I havn't completed the full A-level (5 modules instead of 6). That is what I'm worried about.

As I said in other posts in this topic, my teacher suggested (not me) that I do the 6th module (coursework) during my gap year and do module 4 & 5 this summer, as he said that i will take a long time correcting one of the AS module courseowork, and not enough time to start the 6th module coursework.
Jump
Rep:
?
Report 13 years ago
(Original post by cktlee1)
i would say, try your best to do as much of the last module as possible...maybe quite brief in all the section, and then expand it IF u have time at the end. I mean, u can gain a few easy marks that way and it can be added towards your total mark for A2. Its better to get a module mark of C D E than a U. I mean, after June if u didn't get a good enough A2 grade, u can re-do the coursework in your gap year then with something to work on.
best advice yet.
SinghFello
Rep:
?
Report 13 years ago
Regardless of what your teacher says, you can do the coursework independantly.
What subject is it? Knowing this would give a better idea of whether doing it without your teachers help is possible.

Also check if you can sit an exam instead of the coursework. Lots of science subjects give you a choice, or are weighted equaly between c/w and examination.
trev
Rep:
?
(Original post by SinghFello)
Regardless of what your teacher says, you can do the coursework independantly.
What subject is it? Knowing this would give a better idea of whether doing it without your teachers help is possible.

Also check if you can sit an exam instead of the coursework. Lots of science subjects give you a choice, or are weighted equaly between c/w and examination.
The course is computing. Thus, it's need to be a coursework and not exam as an alternative. I would talk to my teache about this tmr, and i'll tell you guys tmr.
SinghFello
Rep:
?
Report 13 years ago
Ahh, computing. I remember the coursework for AS level, and it was loooong.
I can see the problem now. I guess you will have to do it in a gap year...
trev
Rep:
?
(Original post by SinghFello)
Ahh, computing. I remember the coursework for AS level, and it was loooong.
I can see the problem now. I guess you will have to do it in a gap year...
Yeah. Do you think doing the exams (module 4 & 5) this year would be a good idea or leave those modules during my gap year?
Juno
  • PS Reviewer
Badges: 20
Rep:
?
Report 13 years ago
If you certify the grade after 5 modules, then you won't be able to do the 6th in your gap year anyway.
kellywood_5
Badges: 15
Rep:
?
Report 13 years ago
(Original post by trev)
Yeah. Do you think doing the exams (module 4 & 5) this year would be a good idea or leave those modules during my gap year?
Depends how much you want to be doing during your gap year really. What else have you got lined up? Also, how many other subjects are you doing and how much work do they involve? If dropping computing until your gap year would leave you more time for your other subjects and probably get you better grades, it might be worth considering.
X
Latest
My Feed

See more of what you like on
The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

Personalise

University open days

• University of the Arts London
    MA Design: Ceramics, Furniture or Jewellery Open Day Postgraduate
    Fri, 25 Jan '19
  • Coventry University
    Undergraduate Open Day Undergraduate
    Sat, 26 Jan '19
  • Brunel University London
    Undergraduate Experience Days Undergraduate
    Sat, 26 Jan '19

Do you think the internet has made political discussion more aggressive?

Yes (17)
94.44%
No (1)
5.56%

Watched Threads