Turn on thread page Beta

**Student spending and debt** watch

Announcements

ReputationRep:
    Could current Uni students please take a minute to fill in the following for the benefit of all the prospective students on the forum! Thanks!:

*Name of university-
    *Course-
    *Which year you are in (1st/2nd/3rd/4th/5th/Post-Grad)-

*Total Spending this year on
    >Tuition Fee- £
    >Accomodation (Please specify type, e.g. Private, Halls etc)- £
    >Day to day stuff (Food, Clothes, Laundry, Travel etc)- £
    >Leisure activities (Cinema, Sports etc)- £
    >Alcohol- £
    >Other (Please specify)- £

*TOTAL SPENDING- £

*Student support received this year
    >Tuition Fees- £
    >Student Loan- £

*TOTAL DEBT- £

If you are not comfortable with answering some of the above then its ok, answer as much as you can please...all information is welcome! The reason I have made this thread is so that all us prospective students can get a rough idea of the amounts of money we will be spending in the years ahead! Also will get an idea of the different costs experienced in different unis! Thanks in advance to all that have taken the time to fill this in!

p.s. Mods...perhaps a sticky??? :tsr:

ReputationRep:
    nice idea.

if possible could u split leasisure into alchol and non alchol related( cinema e.t.c) so teetoatlers like me can get a better idea of cost of livin

ReputationRep:
    *Name of university- University of Manchester
    *Course- Psychology
    Which year you are in (1st/2nd/3rd/4th/5th/Post-Grad)- 1st
    *Your Total Spending this year on
    >Tuition Fee- £ My parents paid them for me.
    >Accomodation (Please specify type, e.g. Private, Halls etc)- £2073 for university self catering halls, for 35 weeks.
    >Day to day stuff (Food, Clothes, Laundry, Travel etc)- £ Food approx £20 a week, Clothes £60 a month or so (too much!), Laundry £3-4 a week, Travel £35 to visit home every few weeks.
    >Leisure activities (Alcohol, Cinema, Sports etc)- £0-15 a week, depending what I'm doing (I don't drink).
    >Other (Please specify)- £25 a month on mobile, £15 on landline phone, £92 a year for internet, plus money for toiletries.
    *TOTAL SPENDING- £Um...too much due to LOADS of new clothes!
    >Tuition Fees- £0
    >Student Loan- £4092
    *TOTAL DEBT- £ None as I have savings and work in the holidays

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Imaad)
    nice idea.

if possible could u split leasisure into alchol and non alchol related( cinema e.t.c) so teetoatlers like me can get a better idea of cost of livin
    done... ...need people to start filling it in...thx laura for ur reply!

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by *Laura*)
    >Student Loan- £4092
    *TOTAL DEBT- £ None as I have savings and work in the holidays
    apart from the debt to the loans company

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by allisandro)
    apart from the debt to the loans company
    Well yeah...but I'm not thinking about that yet!

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by *Laura*)
    Well yeah...but I'm not thinking about that yet!
    hehe, good plan!

ReputationRep:
    *Name of university- Dundee Uni
    *Course- MA Maths and Psychology
    *Which year you are in (1st/2nd/3rd/4th/5th/Post-Grad)- 1st

>Tuition Fee-parents pay it (i think its £1150)
    >Accomodation (Please specify type, e.g. Private, Halls etc)- parents pay it, halls, just under £3000 per year
    >Day to day stuff (Food, Clothes, Laundry, Travel etc)- £15/ 20 a week on food, too much on clothes! (actually probably only bout £40 a month), laundry is less than £2 a week (we seem to have the cheapest washers!), probably about £30 a month on travle
    >Leisure activities (Cinema, Sports etc)- not that much... maybe about £15 a month
    >Alcohol- about £15 a week, depends how many nights i go out
    >Other (Please specify)- £20a month- phonebill

*TOTAL SPENDING- £173 er month

>Tuition Fees- £
    >Student Loan- £

*TOTAL DEBT- £

ReputationRep:
    *Name of university - University of East Anglia
    *Course - MChem Chemistry with year abroad
    *Which year you are in (1st/2nd/3rd/4th/5th/Post-Grad) - 2nd

>Tuition Fee - £1150 (paid by my parents)
    >Accomodation (Please specify type, e.g. Private, Halls etc) - £225 a month for rent in a shared house, not including any bills.
    >Day to day stuff (Food, Clothes, Laundry, Travel etc) - about £30 a week for food shopping and buying lunch and magazines and stuff every now and then at uni. Laundry is free as we have a washing machine (although it is counted in electricity and water bills I guess), and I bought a bus pass for the year (£135 :eek: ) so getting about costs me nothing. And I don't go home really, so I don't spend money on trains.
    >Leisure activities (Cinema, Sports etc) - £5 maybe (my friend works at the cinema so I haven't paid to see a film since October
    >Alcohol - £15 (don't tend to go out too often anymore - too much work!)
    >Other (Please specify) - Bills (based on 5 of us sharing) - we each pay; £7.50 a month for water, internet is £5 per month, electricity and gas vary but usually about £15 per month between them. Which works out as just under £30 each month for bills.

*TOTAL SPENDING - £545 a month :eek:

>Tuition Fees - £0
    >Student Loan - £3060 this year, £3000 last year

*TOTAL DEBT - £6060, all owed to the SLC . And I still have 2 years to go. I'm so grateful to my parents for helping me out, otherwise I'd be struggling a lot more than I am now.

ReputationRep:
    *Name of university- University of manchester
    *Course-international management with french
    *Which year you are in (1st/2nd/3rd/4th/5th/Post-Grad)-1st

>Tuition Fee- £227
    >Accomodation (Please specify type, e.g. Private, Halls etc)- £2055 self-catered
    >Day to day stuff (Food, Clothes, Laundry, Travel etc)- £135 bus pass for the year, £2 a week on laundry, about £150 on clothes since last september, £20 week food, probbaly about £100 on trains by now as well.
    >Leisure activities (Cinema, Sports etc)- £5 cinema (probably go about twice a week)
    >Alcohol- £10 a week
    >Other (Please specify)-£15 a month phone bill, one of payment of £92 internet, CDs & DVDs, about £100 a month :rolleyes:

*TOTAL SPENDING- according to my bank statements about £400 a month!

>Tuition Fees- £about £800
    >Student Loan- whatever the full amount is, think its about £4000

*TOTAL DEBT- just the money i will owe to the student loan company so far,

ReputationRep:
    *Name of university- Oxford
    *Course- Economics and Management
    *Which year you are in (1st/2nd/3rd/4th/5th/Post-Grad)-
    1st
    >Tuition Fee- £ 980
    >Accomodation (Please specify type, e.g. Private, Halls etc)- £ 2250 (halls)
    >Day to day stuff (Food, Clothes, Laundry, Travel etc)- £ 1400
    >Leisure activities (Cinema, Sports etc)- £ including conferences and balls, easily £500
    >Alcohol- £ 800

*TOTAL SPENDING- £ 5930

>Tuition Fees- £ 170
    >Student Loan- £ 4095

*TOTAL DEBT- £ Student loan minus the ~£500 I have extra in my bank at the moment (which *should* be larger by the end of the year).

ReputationRep:
    *Name of university- Letterkenny Institute of Technology (www.lyit.ie)
    *Course- All undergraduate
    *Which year you are in :1st - 4th

>Tuition Fee- £0 fees charged to UK citizens
    >Accomodation (Private room)- £30
    >Alcohol- £2.50 per pint

ReputationRep:
    *Name of university- Oxford
    *Course- Medicine
    *Which year you are in - 2nd

>Tuition Fee- £900 approx, which my parents thankfully pay
    >Accomodation (Please specify type, e.g. Private, Halls etc)- £844.18 + £866.52 (strictly this is not only accomodation - includes anything on my battels, formal dinners, club tickets, guest rooms etc. just accomodation is just under £800 per term.

it would take me forever to break it down accurately but in total weekly spending £67.47 last term & £48.14 this term. primarily depends how much i go out. & any shopping sprees/birthdays.

>Day to day stuff (Food, Clothes, Laundry, Travel etc)- ~£12 per week on food, laundry ~£1 per week, travel negligible, clothes very variable depending on social events maybe £100 per term?

>Leisure activities (Cinema, Sports etc)- sports negligible.

>Alcohol- would include going out here too? perhaps on average £10 per week, including alcohol & entry to clubs or formal college events

>Other (Please specify)- takeaway/eating out from time to time.. hmm, perhaps £60 per term

*TOTAL SPENDING- £1,299.78 this term so far & £1,451.45 last term.

>Tuition Fees- £ the balance
    >Student Loan- £ £1,351.35 last term & this. slightly more next term. full amound basically

*TOTAL DEBT-
    well, i live off my student loan. so last year's loan £4,000-something + what i've had this year - perhaps £6,500 total. not especially bothered.. just one of those things & i should be able to pay it back fairly quickly.

have managed to retain my savings (which are currently more than my total debt! ) so technically, i'm not in the red & making more interest on savings than the SLC will charge me, so that's all good.. :p:

& i also have had some income this year from scholarships/prizes. (£550)

hope this may help.

ReputationRep:
    University: Oxford
    Course: Economics & Management
    Year: Third (final)

Spending
    Tuition: Nothing, full fee remission
    Accommodation: Approx £3,000: large room in college-owned house, approx £82/wk on 36-week lease. In 1st/2nd year it was more like £2,000.
    Food: Too much, typically £30+/wk
    Books/stationery: Only about £50 this academic year, usually more like £100
    Leisure: Only about £10/wk, I don't do much or drink much
    Phone: £30/mth
    Plenty of other expenditure, though, on my hobbies - used up most of my spare cash.
    The above is all very approximate - I don't keep very good track!

Income
    Student loan: £3,500-ish - down this year as you get less in the final year
    Opportunity Bursary: £500
    Sponsorship: £1,800 from my employer

Total debt: about £13-14,000, but the vast majority of that is student loan, which isn't a concern. Well, none of it's a concern really.

ReputationRep:
    Hi

I wondered what people's bills were like at university regarding essentials and other stuff?

For example:

How much do you spend on clothes per year?
    How much for food per week (don't include alcoholic drinks)?
    Cost of travel?

Are there any other bills you pay for such as membership to various unions, e.g. sport ones?

Just I'm thinking of a budget and intending to spend about £10 a week on food, or is this too little? I read in an advice booklet to shop for reductions, which is fine, but you have to make sure you're not buying them as an extra but as a replacement, and that by shopping at these times you're not deprived of much sleep because the two are related.

Obviously costs will vary on your course and university but I'm looking for a guide.

Any suggestions?

Many thanks.

ReputationRep:
    here might be a good starting point if you haven't already?

£10 per week on food would be fine for me.. my boyf needs to spend considerably more than that!
    but.. he's male (obviously :p: ), does oodles of sports & likes decent food (i.e. meat!)

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by NDGAARONDI)
    ... I read in an advice booklet ....
    Ooooh! Where do we get those then??

ZarathustraX

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by NDGAARONDI)
    Just I'm thinking of a budget and intending to spend about £10 a week on food, or is this too little?
    Big question: are you going to be in catered or self-catered halls?
    I've been living in catered and spending in excess of £10 a week on food for lunches/snacks; however when I got short of money I managed to live on a few quid a week by taking away fruit, bread etc. from the dining hall. However, obviously this would not be possible in self-catered. So you need to establish that first .

ReputationRep:
    £10 a week? Someone is going to have svelt little legs. I spend about £25 a week on munchies at school. Damn Costas hot chocolates.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Zarathustra)
    Ooooh! Where do we get those then??
    I had mine sent upon applying to UCAS, it was a load of advertising junk they send. Perhaps they didn't do it this year.

Poll
Were you ever put in isolation at school?
Useful resources
Uni match

Applying to uni?

Our tool will help you find the perfect course

Articles:

Debate and current affairs guidelinesDebate and current affairs wiki

Quick link:

Educational debate unanswered threads

Groups associated with this forum:

View associated groups

The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Write a reply...
Hide
Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.