The Student Room Group
Reply 1
You would not be looked upon as a 'flop' but you should certaianly redo modules and look at FM material.
Reply 2
take further maths and re do modules in a gap year
Reply 3
Most of all you should enjoy doing mathematics.
EierVonSatan
Yeah I think doing a foundation year would be a good idea both for preparation and to see if you enjoy the course (as university maths is quite distinct from A-level maths). Once you get to university nobody really cares about A-level grades.

I am really wanting to do a foundation year but I would be seen as a flop wouldn't I?
Reply 5
cruciform
I am really wanting to do a foundation year but I would be seen as a flop wouldn't I?

You wouldn't and if you need to do, doing a year to get up to scratch will be more than worth it. You seem to be concerned more about this. If you really wanted to do mathematics you would have little thought of what others thought of your ability by doing a foundation year.

ALL the IMPORTANT thing is that you get a HIGH (i.e. first or 2.i) degree qualifications - if this means you are viewed as a flop, so what.
EierVonSatan
Who cares what other people think? Besides I doubt people would think of you as a flop...we have a foundation year program in my department, and from what I can tell there is no such attitude.

and of what univeristy?
Reply 7
cruciform
and of what univeristy?

Birmingham. although you should consider that EVS does Chemistry so if you are basing applying to Birmingham for the foundation year, it may be a foundation year for CHemistry.

You should research institutions that offer these yearly programmes.
Reply 8
I would recommend foundation year that's 'integrated' in the university, IMO (rather than one that's at 'a college nearby' cos that won't really involve you in the university as much) - e.g. at Manchester, Reading or UEA.
Reply 9
Was it really necessary to start a new thread for this, given that the other's pretty much identical to this one?
Reply 10
cruciform
and of what univeristy?

The University of Sheffield does Mathematics with a Foundation Year. You need BBB and it's for people like yourself. You won't be looked down on, go for it. You enjoy Mathematics, that's what counts.
Reply 11
I fudged my a-levels and ended up with a B in mathematics. By some miracle I got into my insurance uni to do maths. I've thrived so much in the university environment and now I'm seriously looking to get the first I deserve. I would say that if you really enjoy it then yeah sure apply. Just be sure that you work hard during your degree to outweigh your A-levels on your cv at the end of it.
But if you really want a stronger understanding of maths before you go to uni, I'd suggest taking advantage of another year of free education and either re-sit some of your math modules or do further-maths. Seriously no-one will look down on you once you get to uni. So many people take a year out anyway to decide what they want to do, get the grades etc.

Latest