The Student Room Group

Pencil queen and maths stats

Pencil queen
As our esteemed resident statistics expert on HE (and most other things!) can you please come up with some stats on the 10 most popular unis for maths applicants based only on the number of applicants to places for last year. This would give maths applicants to this year's round another point of reference when making their choices. Thanx.
Unregistered
Pencil queen
As our esteemed resident statistics expert on HE (and most other things!) can you please come up with some stats on the 10 most popular unis for maths applicants based only on the number of applicants to places for last year. This would give maths applicants to this year's round another point of reference when making their choices. Thanx.

I'm afraid I don't have that information on a subject by subject basis at institution level...only app/place by subject (ie for all uni's) or app/place by uni (ie for all subjects).

However one of the QAA requirements with the new style of quality audit means that in the next few yrs universities will be obliged to publish this information on a subject by subject basis.
Reply 2
Pencil Queen
I'm afraid I don't have that information on a subject by subject basis at institution level...only app/place by subject (ie for all uni's) or app/place by uni (ie for all subjects).

However one of the QAA requirements with the new style of quality audit means that in the next few yrs universities will be obliged to publish this information on a subject by subject basis.

OK thanx anyway. I'll just do a trawl myself and try to come up with the info.
Just had a quick trawl through the UCAs website and the data is available by subject group - so for Maths & comp sci - not a perfect match but about as close as you'll get without paying for it:

App/place ratios:

KCL: 13
Keele: 12
Bristol: 12
York: 12
Bradford: 12
UCL: 11
Reading: 10
Manchester: 10
Bath: 9
Imperial: 9
Southampton: 9
Lancaster: 9

(excluding small colleges like "BRADFORD AND ILKLEY COMMUNITY COLLEGE" which have very high ratios which are distorted by the very low numbers of applications)
Reply 4
Pencil Queen
Just had a quick trawl through the UCAs website and the data is available by subject group - so for Maths & comp sci - not a perfect match but about as close as you'll get without paying for it:

App/place ratios:

KCL: 13
Keele: 12
Bristol: 12
York: 12
Bradford: 12
UCL: 11
Reading: 10
Manchester: 10
Bath: 9
Imperial: 9
Southampton: 9
Lancaster: 9
Brilliant - well done and thanx!!!
(excluding small colleges like "BRADFORD AND ILKLEY COMMUNITY COLLEGE" which have very high ratios which are distorted by the very low numbers of applications)
Being a bit of a sad muppet I've done some more digging and found the most recent figures (2002 entry)

Keele: 17.3
Bristol: 10.9
York: 10.2
UCL: 9.7
UCE: 9.1
Bath: 9.0
North London: 8.4
Manchester: 8.2
Nottingham: 8.0
Greenwich: 8.0
Stirling: 7.9
Lancaster: 7.8
Southampton: 7.8

Like I say it includes comp sci which probably rules out UCE, Greenwich and North London as the demand is for their comp sci courses not maths.
Reply 6
Pencil Queen
Being a bit of a sad muppet I've done some more digging and found the most recent figures (2002 entry)

Keele: 17.3
Bristol: 10.9
York: 10.2
UCL: 9.7
UCE: 9.1
Bath: 9.0
North London: 8.4
Manchester: 8.2
Nottingham: 8.0
Greenwich: 8.0
Stirling: 7.9
Lancaster: 7.8
Southampton: 7.8

Like I say it includes comp sci which probably rules out UCE, Greenwich and North London as the demand is for their comp sci courses not maths.

No way are you a sad muppet - you just have an investigative mind! Who knows - if you keep digging you might come up with Maths only stats!!

Latest