Turn on thread page Beta

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by gringalet)
    Yeah, I find it rather amusing that Americans seem to think that *everybody* English has the same accent, in the style of Hugh Grant or Liz Hurley.
    Every time my (English) friend opens his mouth at school, some people find it amusing to imitate his accent...of course, they always adopt the Hollywood-style one (badly), which sounds nothing like him at all...I think they truly don't notice the difference? I find it amusing, at least.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by SophistiCat)
    Why do they always sound like someone from the Charles Dickens era? Do Americans think all English people are aristocrats or something?

A perfect example is Angelina Jolie's accent in Sky Captain and the World of Tomorrow.
    some americans seem to think that the english accent is posh. You just no they have never met a scouser.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Onearmedbandit)
    Well I don't know about the others, but Christopher Guest (Nigel Tufnell) is only half American, and has an English accent anyway. I always assumed those guys were English anyway :confused:

Maybe not Harry Shearer, seeing as he does loads of voices on The Simpsons... hmm.
    Harry Shearer's definitely American, and I'm fairly sure Michael McKean (David St. Hubbins, St. Hubbins being patron saint of quality footwear ) is American too.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by rainjan_4now)
    another thing (besides the accent :mad: ) that really annoys me about american films is the fact that almost every evil, twisted, plan-hatching, bad guy is ENGLISH :eek:

If they think that the english are much worse than themselves, then surely they've missed something :confused:
    You're looking at it the wrong way. Out of all of the English-as-first-language countries, the accent in the UK is about the only one that Americans can take seriously. Canadians are incapable of being rude, so villainy is out of the question. The Aussie accent, and the NZ accent, sound too friendly to be seen as villainous. And, there is just less knowledge of the South African accent.

Overall, to the American ear, the accent is clear enough that it can be understood, and haughty sounding-enough that it makes sense on a bad guy. Also, filmmakers don't have to contend with some organized ethnic group in the US, to complain about English bad guys.

ReputationRep:
    I think american english is alot more easier to understand and be on track with the words than british english I don't find it hard at all to watch merican movie but sometimes I don't get some words in (british) english programs and stuff...they swallow most of the letters and talk pretty fast

ReputationRep:
    Plus to be honest we are a pretty evil lot, I mean have a look back in the history of the empire. Hell we invented the famed concentration camp during the boer war.

When I was over in the colonies we had great fun using all the cockney rhyming slang we could. Confused the crap out of them and they hated us calling them colonists!!

ReputationRep:
    Hers is okay compared to some of the others. I think the problem is that 90% of the British actors who make it in America are quite posh sounding- Keira Knightley, Hugh Grant, Kate Beckinsale, etc.

You'd never hear a Scouse/Geordie/Brummie accent in an American film- they'd need subtitles! They did for Trainspotting!
    Most British actors that make it in America put on an American accent anyway sometimes:
    Jude Law, Christian Bale, Claire Forlani, Anthony Hopkins, Tim Roth, Sean Connery, Rachel Weisz, Kate Winslet..

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by SamTheMan)
    Most British actors that make it in America put on an American accent anyway sometimes:
    Jude Law, Christian Bale, Claire Forlani, Anthony Hopkins, Tim Roth, Sean Connery, Rachel Weisz, Kate Winslet..
    Grrr. Bloody actors. Be proud of the great country you come from, Sell outs.

ReputationRep:
    An American once said I sounded like Daphne from Fraiser. I'm from Devon and speak in a fairly RP way. How could you get it more wrong?!
    :mad:

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by SciFi25)
    Plus to be honest we are a pretty evil lot, I mean have a look back in the history of the empire. Hell we invented the famed concentration camp during the boer war.

When I was over in the colonies we had great fun using all the cockney rhyming slang we could. Confused the crap out of them and they hated us calling them colonists!!
    Perhaps because Americans aren't colonists, nor do they live in colonies... :rolleyes:

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by blissy)
    An American once said I sounded like Daphne from Fraiser. I'm from Devon and speak in a fairly RP way. How could you get it more wrong?!
    :mad:
    Well think about it this way, colonists have no clue what thier own accents are like! So we cant expect the poor inbred yankees to grasp ours as well!

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by psychic_satori)
    Perhaps because Americans aren't colonists, nor do they live in colonies... :rolleyes:
    Maybe but they are so fun to wind up cos most of it goes straight over their poor little heads. Stupid yanks!

ReputationRep:
    *sharp intake of breath*
    Methinks that is not a wise thing to say ScifFi25

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by blissy)
    *sharp intake of breath*
    Methinks that is not a wise thing to say ScifFi25
    Well your obviously not talking to me, who is this ScifFi25? Never heard of such a user!! lol! :p:

ReputationRep:
    Maybe but they are so fun to wind up cos most of it goes straight over their poor little heads. Stupid yanks!
    and you wonder why the British are always the villains in film... perhaps we have our answer... :rolleyes:

ReputationRep:
    and you wonder why the British are always the villains in film... perhaps we have our answer... :rolleyes:
    Hey I never wondered, I know why we do it. Deviousness comes to our breed very easily indeed!!

ReputationRep:
    Hey I never wondered, I know why we do it. Deviousness comes to our breed very easily indeed!!
    clearly, americans are not the only ones who have jokes go over their "poor little heads"... :rolleyes:

ReputationRep:
    clearly, americans are not the only ones who have jokes go over their "poor little heads"... :rolleyes:
    And 'they' obviously have no idea what sarcasm is! :rolleyes:

ReputationRep:
    Yes, I mean, being the first country in the world to ABOLISH slavery? Now that's what I call evil... :rolleyes:

ReputationRep:
    Why do they always sound like someone from the Charles Dickens era? Do Americans think all English people are aristocrats or something?

A perfect example is Angelina Jolie's accent in Sky Captain and the World of Tomorrow.
    Or Leslie Phillips!

Poll
Were you ever put in isolation at school?
Useful resources

The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Write a reply...
Hide
Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.