Turn on thread page Beta

ReputationRep:
    do you think that the increase in popularity in hip hop msuic or music in general is linked to teh rise in youth gun crime?

i am doing a reserch paper for media studies an would be greatful if some peopel could give me there views

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Eámanë)
    do you think that the increase in popularity in hip hop msuic or music in general is linked to teh rise in youth gun crime?

i am doing a reserch paper for media studies an would be greatful if some peopel could give me there views
    yes, rap music glamourises a mythical life of guns, drugs and disrespect towards women.

No it doesn't you moron. While we're banning rap music lets ban action films too. Hell let's ban averything until we only have shows and songs about teddy bears hugging each other.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Unregistered)
    No it doesn't you moron.
    would you like me to quote you some lyrics??

50 cents - 'PIMP' is a favourite of mine.

I'm that ***** trying to holla cause I want some bread
    I could care less how she perform when she in the bed
    ***** hit that track, catch a date, and come and pay the kid
    I'm your friend, your father, and confidant, *****

technically that could be inciting prostitution and thus could be open to prosecution.

Yes please. Where does he say "OK kids all go and buy guns and shoot people. Then diss some women. I 50 Cent command you"

ReputationRep:
    Yes please. Where does he say "OK kids all go and buy guns and shoot people. Then diss some women. I 50 Cent command you"

And if you play wit my paper, you gotta meet my berretta

That's great but that's not saying anything is it? If you mess with his money he'll shoot you. Thats not saying go and buy a gun. Thats just saying what he'll do.

ReputationRep:
    That's great but that's not saying anything is it? If you mess with his money he'll shoot you. Thats not saying go and buy a gun. Thats just saying what he'll do.
    and saying 'if i see a black man, ill shoot him' would not be inciting racism?

Perhaps but its the idiots that do the crimes not the music itself. You've heard the song clearly, are you going to shoot someone?

ReputationRep:
    Perhaps but its the idiots that do the crimes not the music itself. You've heard the song clearly, are you going to shoot someone?
    no, but i find the whole lifestyle pathetic. others dont.

Exactly so it's personal choice. If they are going to shoot someone they don't need music to tell them to.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by vienna95)
    no, but i find the whole lifestyle pathetic. others dont.
    I agree, there are too many kids that look up to these idiots and follow their example, even if just by disrespecting other ppl.

ReputationRep:
    Exactly so it's personal choice. If they are going to shoot someone they don't need music to tell them to.
    i think you have to look at the effects that this culture has on people. it normalises it, says that gun crime is acceptable if you think your abit of a g. the music is a part of that. footballers are penalised in the same way for purveying a bad image to youngsters, yet noone wants to confront the fact the black music cuture evidently has a part to play in the behaviour of the black and increasingly other racial communities. it is whats known as a political hot potato.

on a personal note, my younger brother recently sported over-sized jewellery and clothing. as you can imagine, he was reprimanded severely.

It doesn't have an effect on the culture. The music is ABOUT the culture that already exists.

ReputationRep:
    It doesn't have an effect on the culture. The music is ABOUT the culture that already exists.
    well, there you go. although i think this culture was specific to predominantly poor areas of inner city america. now it is mainstream. what i would say is, you have the right to express yourself as you wish, but when you emulate such culture, you inevitably receive the same stigmas. 9 out of 10 black men i see is dressed like puff daddy. discrimination is based on the culture that that represents rather than anything to do with skin colour. in the same way, a white guy clothed in the same way would receive the same stigma from me.

You're too racist. I'm leaving. In tears.

ReputationRep:
    You're too racist. I'm leaving. In tears.
    how you equal race to culture is worrying...
    • Very Important Poster
    • PS Reviewer

ReputationRep:
    Very Important Poster
    PS Reviewer
    I don't think the blanket condemnations handed out by the media do anything but encourage people to think that they are alienated from mainstream society and therefore that societies rules don't apply to them...ie it would make more sense to ignore it for the passing phase that it is instead of complaining about it corrupting the youth of today.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Pencil Queen)
    I don't think the blanket condemnations handed out by the media do anything but encourage people to think that they are alienated from mainstream society and therefore that societies rules don't apply to them...ie it would make more sense to ignore it for the passing phase that it is instead of complaining about it corrupting the youth of today.
    i would tend to agree, but when you see a troubling rise in gun crime, it is hard not to treat. at the time of the ecstasy hype, anyone who didnt condemn drugs furiously was attacked by the media and the government. this is also the case with footballers. as i said the government is reluctant to do as much in regards to this, because it is, as everyone knows, mainly orientated around the black community.

The people that are vulnerable to seeing anti-social behaviour and immitating it are generally the ones that listen to black rap music. The lyrics and attitude of the black rappers is emulated by younger, impresionable youths. It is glamourised and seen as cool. Why else would every single black youth I see in the street dress up in trackies, with thick gold jewelry? It looks absolutely pathetic - they all copy each other. Much in the way that many white young girls try to copy Christina Aguilera and wear make up way before they would have if they hadnt been exposed to that media.

I study Psychology and Media studies at uni and there is a totally obvious overlap between anti-social behaviour in the media and the rise in crime. There are studies. And its not racist. Its truth.

Poll
Black Friday: Yay or Nay?
Useful resources

The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Write a reply...
Hide
Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.