The Student Room Group

Scroll to see replies

Reply 120
aliel
Gah, it's just that you asked that bloke where he lived, i assume you presumed he was a surburban guy...and so I just commented on a Paris... :frown:

i didnt presume anything, thats why i asked.
Reply 121
vienna95
i didnt presume anything, thats why i asked.

Oh ok :smile:
Reply 122
thought i would re start up this debate
Reply 123
Eámanë
thought i would re start up this debate

I agree with poster and vienna to a large part. Gangster Rap and a little hip hop is the worst thing to happen to black youth. It perpetuates a culture that degrades black women and promotes ignorance and a lack of education as something to be proud of. In the 70s and such the music of soul was the main thing and their is no coincedence that this was a time when blacks were making more strives in the social ladder and generally more respect for blacks from whites.

Artist like Marvin Gaye, Diana Ross and Aretha Franklin were what people wanted to be, these people talked about importan issues which stimulated intellectual development, not 50 cent or Eminem and othe "artists" of this ilk. So where has this music gone? Well it still exists. Artist like Common and Musiq Soulchild are there and doing there thing, but why aren't they noticed by people other than those intrested in them ? thats the big question.

The Media which is predominantly white controlled are at fault. They and the public are only intrested in things about guns and drugs and ignore the postives of the black community, as a result people now think this is what black people are like and what black kids should aim to be, not marvin gaye but a "P.I.M.P" like Mr Cent.

As I said this positive music such as neo Soul is at large ignored here, and it shouldnt. Music does have a powerful message which the impressionable who are the common majority adhere to.

Less fifty and more gilian Scott and Lauryn Hill on kiss and such.
Reply 124
Hip hop is just as commercial as other rubbish pop bands, such as Busted, who, must also be destroyed.

No, only the hip hop you constantly hear on the radio is commerical crap. If you delve deeper into the genre you'll find artists like Mos Def, Talib Kweli, Common, Dead Prez etc who do actually have meaningful lyrics

As for hip hop causing gun crime, I can see how someone like 50 Cent, who may be a role model to urban youth, can encourage that youth to get into gun crime if 50 Cent always raps about it. But the point is that gun crime existed before hip hop became so popular, and it would still exist if hip hop wasn't so mainstream. Gangsta rap grew out of the problems in the black ghettos of America which are riddled with the problems of gun crime, not the other way round. Artists like 50 Cent who apparently grew up in this gun culture are a symptom rather than a cause.

Latest

Trending

Trending