ThisModernLove
Badges: 12
Rep:
?
Report Thread starter 12 years ago
I'm currently supposed to be doing my English Lit A2 Coursework - the one where you have to compare two books of your choice. For others who are doing it/those who have done it can anyone give advice on how you decided what to write?

Did you involve critics opinions? How do you get the "close analysis of language" in when you've got the whole of two books to focus on? How did you get notes etc?

My two books are Hotel du Lac and Room with a View and my question is "how does the foreign setting influence the protagonists"

Any help would be appreciated because I am REALLY stuck for what to write, and this never happens to me. :eek:
inksplodge
  • CV Helper
Badges: 17
Rep:
?
Report 12 years ago
With the notes, I made a list of similar things (ie. main character traits, themes, attitudes) and a list of differences. Then I basically worked my way up from there :dontknow: Make sure you include a language analysis I guess really you just need to look at the similarities and differences of each book - but relating it to the question...!
Vickyy
Badges: 2
Rep:
?
Report 12 years ago
I made the language analysis easier by choosing a poem instead of two novels. And for my novel (Wuthering Heights) I just focused on the first half of the book.

I wrote a huge plan with key words and ideas, quotes, etc, which helped me organise the similarities and differences. And I've included two critics' opinions.
ThisModernLove
Badges: 12
Rep:
?
Report Thread starter 12 years ago
(Original post by Vickyy)
I made the language analysis easier by choosing a poem instead of two novels.
Can I ask what poem you chose, how you chose it, and what your question is please?

I wrote a huge plan with key words and ideas, quotes, etc, which helped me organise the similarities and differences.
Did you make notes on the book and poems before you wrote your plan? And how long did it take you to write your plan?

And I've included two critics' opinions.
Did you get these off the internet?!

Thanks for your help Sorry about the endless questions.. it's just quite disconcerting to suddenly be thrown by a piece of coursework when I've never had problems with english before!!
Vickyy
Rep:
?
Report 12 years ago
(Original post by ThisModernLove)
Can I ask what poem you chose, how you chose it, and what your question is please?

Did you make notes on the book and poems before you wrote your plan? And how long did it take you to write your plan?

Did you get these off the internet?!

Thanks for your help Sorry about the endless questions.. it's just quite disconcerting to suddenly be thrown by a piece of coursework when I've never had problems with english before!!
- I know you're meant to do two texts, but since my poems are so short my teacher suggested that I do two poems and a novel. So mine is on 'Since feeling is first' by cummings (one of my favourite poems), 'Wuthering Heights' (my favourite novel) and also 'The Flea' by Donne. I'm comparing the representation of romantic love in different time periods.

- I made annotated notes on each text individually, then made links between them. So I had a big brainstorm type thing, and then an ordered plan. It didn't take too long. Just an outline of where the essay was going in each paragraph and what quotes to include. Collecting quotes really helped my ideas, actually.

- I got one from the internet (just googled and found a few good excerpts) and one from a book from the library.

I don't know what grade I've got for this yet, though, so I'm just offering my opinion. I'm sure once you get writing you'll be fine.
amandaaa
Badges: 0
Rep:
?
Report 11 years ago
just wondering whether anyone has a clue of the grade boundarys of thiscoursework?
my teacher has marked both my pieces and i've got 50/60
anyopne know whether this is an A or a B?
x
whatistheanswer???
Report 11 years ago
(Original post by amandaaa)
just wondering whether anyone has a clue of the grade boundarys of thiscoursework?
x
I think it is 26/30 for A boundary per coursework, so they mark them seperate and then aggregate the scores to get one out of 60. So an A from both pieces of coursework would be 52/60!
Im sure you could get an extra 2 marks somewhere
haaaza23
Rep:
?
Report 11 years ago
In your answer you must cover all AO's, compare AND contrast the books.
haaaza23
Rep:
?
Report 11 years ago
(Original post by amandaaa)
x
In recent exam series it has been 48/60 and 50/60 for an A (but that was for the AS coursework unit, I'm not sure whether A2 would be the same).
glycogen
Report 11 years ago
Isn't coursework out of 80?
glycogen
Report 11 years ago
[QUOTE=haaaza23]In recent exam series it has been 48/60 and 50/60 QUOTE]

haaaza23
Rep:
?
Report 11 years ago
[QUOTE=glycogen]
(Original post by haaaza23)
In recent exam series it has been 48/60 and 50/60 QUOTE]

/60 is the RAW marks
/80 is UMS (what we see on exam results slips)

So in January 2009, it was 48/60 RAW, 64/80 UMS for an A
But in June 2009, it was 50/60 RAW, still 64/80 UMS for an A
glycogen
Report 11 years ago
[QUOTE=haaaza23]
(Original post by glycogen)

/60 is the RAW marks

Ahh thanks for clearing this up...=]
whatistheanswer???
Report 11 years ago
[QUOTE=haaaza23]
(Original post by glycogen)

/60 is the RAW marks

I goit told i need 26 in each coursework for an A.
glycogen
Report 11 years ago
[QUOTE=whatistheanswer???]
(Original post by haaaza23)

I goit told i need 26 in each coursework for an A.
yeppp...26+26=52/60

so it works out the sameish; probs got moderated down
haaaza23
Rep:
?
Report 11 years ago
To me, 26/30 seems relatively high for an A I'd say 24/25 sounds about right.
abigailbailey
Report 11 years ago
does anybody know what the rules are on having a tutor whilst completing your coursework. is there any need fr them to fill out a form for the help the give or is it completely forbidden..
Rosyred809
Rep:
?
Report 11 years ago
i think there is some form bur amnot completely sure
CharlotteM/
Badges: 1
Rep:
?
Report 11 years ago
I'm sure it's not completely forbidden, because there's a tutor who gives people extra help like that at my school. I don't know about the form, though. Ask your teacher.
tigerzbite
Rep:
?
Report 5 years ago
It's a B. 54 is an A, 46 is a B and 57 in A*. They're pretty tight :P
X

Quick Reply

Attached files
Write a reply...
Back
to top
Latest
My Feed

See more of what you like on
The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

Personalise

Feeling behind at school/college? What is the best thing your teachers could to help you catch up?

Extra compulsory independent learning activities (eg, homework tasks) (2)
3.7%
Run extra compulsory lessons or workshops (7)
12.96%
Focus on making the normal lesson time with them as high quality as possible (8)
14.81%
Focus on making the normal learning resources as high quality/accessible as possible (6)
11.11%
Provide extra optional activities, lessons and/or workshops (21)
38.89%
Assess students, decide who needs extra support and focus on these students (10)
18.52%

Watched Threads