Turn on thread page Beta

My Parents won't let me be a Vegetarian HELP watch

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by kew96158)
    The point is that we're carnivores! ie. meant to eat meat AND vegetables...
    Try omnivore.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by lessthanthree)
    I can't find the link right now, but apparently kids are mentally and physically at a disadvantage if they're brought up on a vegetarian diet by mad veggie parents.

-
    Okay, that's totally unrelated..but have you explained why you want to be a vegetarian to them?

Because, in all honesty "it's cruel to animals" just doesn't cut it as a reason. If you had a mature and realistic argument, then I think they'd be more willing to accept your choice. As it stands, you just seem like a kid who's watched a PETA video and gotten really phased.
    I did explain and it's not just because its cruel to animals. It's because of many reasons one of which that much of the grain grown in the world is used to feed the animals which are going to be eaten and it could go to the people in thrid world countries who are still dying of starvation.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by NDGAARONDI)
    Try omnivore.
    lol

ReputationRep:
    I can't find the link right now, but apparently kids are mentally and physically at a disadvantage if they're brought up on a vegetarian diet by mad veggie parents.
    http://www.timesonline.co.uk/article...494748,00.html
    http://news.scotsman.com/index.cfm?id=199842005

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by PrOdiGy_)
    i read somewhere that the current level of humans on the planet wouldnt be sustainable if they ate only meat as the process between the levels is too inefficient. ie a lot of the energy is lost through when say for example, a cow eats some grass and then a human eats the cow as there are certain things humans cant digest
    It's called biomass. Heard the use of battery chickens? It works on that principle.

ReputationRep:
    It's called biomass. Heard the use of battery chickens? It works on that principle.
    yeah thats the word. seems like a long time since gcse biology :P

ReputationRep:
    oh by the way those studies on the kenyans were carried out by a meat company in america..........made a bit of a blotch on the validity of the findings for me

ReputationRep:
    Yes!

ReputationRep:
    meat is part of a balanced diet.

ReputationRep:
    Hmmmm..... But that might be slightly immature and they might take me to the doctors which is never fun. Thinking about it my friends cat developed a meat allergy.

Thanks anyway Its been a help

ReputationRep:
    We give farm animals a life so that we can eat them. I see no problem with eating meat. They are our creation, so it's not cruel.

ReputationRep:
    Whatever your reasons, if you want to become a vegetarian it should be up to you.

That doesn't exactly help but . . .

ReputationRep:
    oh by the way those studies on the kenyans were carried out by a meat company in america..........made a bit of a blotch on the validity of the findings for me
    Yes when I heard the 'research' I wondered about its impartiality. It doesn't matter what you eat too much as long as your diet is balanced, if people eat meat for certain nutrients, vegeterians can find alternatives quite easily.

ReputationRep:
    yeah thats the word. seems like a long time since gcse biology :P
    I can recall having studied newspapers' standard deviation of word length and picture size on front covers for GCSE maths still

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Twaffy)
    My parents won't let me become a vegetarian because apparently we were meant to eat meat, but i think it is really cruel to the animal. Does anyone know how i can convince them to change their minds? :confused:
    go on a hunger strike. they cannot make you eat meat. I'm a semi-vegan, so you can pm me if you need help or advice!

I've gone through the whole family thinks you are crazy thing to. but the thing is, that is what YOU BELIEVE, and they CANNOT make you violate your own values.

stand strong!

oh, and buy a nutritional book about vegatarianism and show them how healthy it truly is. educate yourself, and then educate them, there is no way you cannot win.

ReputationRep:
    ...or the vegetarians might just eat it all.
    [you know they wouldn't grow it if they couldn't sell it to the people who feed the animals...]

Arable farming isn't non-profit. If there were no animals to feed with the crops, they wouldn't just grow them and give them away.

have you really thought this through?
    I think the statement is a bit unclear. reasearch has shown (from objectional sources I admit) that something like 10 million people could be fed with the grain given to stock animals in america. other vegetarians wouldn't start eating that much more just to eat! :eek:

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Twaffy)
    I am 15
    I have no idea why they say this, possibly they are insane.
    and tell your parents that you will make yourself a peanut butter and jelly sandwich if what they are having is objectionable to you....

it'll work out!

ReputationRep:
    pssst. that's an omnivore.
    Oh yes! Of course...

ReputationRep:
    Yes when I heard the 'research' I wondered about its impartiality. It doesn't matter what you eat too much as long as your diet is balanced, if people eat meat for certain nutrients, vegeterians can find alternatives quite easily.
    Fabricated alternatives always seem weird to me - we live on a world that gives us everything we need to live but some people decide to give up parts of it and turn to the labs instead to get all their nutrients.

As for the original poster, I'm sure your parents have your best interests at heart.

And if you do go veggie, don't wear leather shoes either, eh

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by curryADD)
    and tell your parents that you will make yourself a peanut butter and jelly sandwich if what they are having is objectionable to you....

it'll work out!
    why peanut butter and jelly?

Poll
Brexit: Given the chance now, would you vote leave or remain?

The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Write a reply...
Hide
Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.