The Student Room Group

Dying brown hair to blonde at home?

I wonder if anyone can help. I have lightish brown hair, some of it naturally bleached from the sun. I've been considering going blonde for ages and last week I bought a Loreal Bleaching Kit: http://www.lloydspharmacy.com/webapp/wcs/stores/servlet/ProductDisplay?langId=-1&storeId=90&catalogId=958&productId=308675

I havent used it yet, to be honest Im not sure how wise it is to dye it myself as I have heard so many stories on TSR of people's hair going ginger/green etc :s-smilie: If I do dye it myself though, is this the right kit to use? Also what can I do to stop it going a strange colour, for example should I use a certain type of conditioner? Any advice would be much appreciated, cheers. :smile:

Scroll to see replies

Follow the instructions and you should be fine. :smile:
Just don't.

Hairdresser.
Reply 3
NO!!!
get it done properly if you are going blonde!!!

If you don't have the pre-lightening cream you will probably go slightly ginger - not blonde... from personal experiences!

And a few people i know have put the pre-lightener in and it went greenish...

i would say go to a hairdresser
its not going to go ginger if you have light brown hair

only if you have black/dark brown hair. and anyway, gingerness can be fixed with more bleach, although if you bleach it to much, your hairs condition will get quite bad unless you use expensive conditioners
Reply 5
Don't do it.
My friend did this, followed the instructions on the packet perfectly, and ended up with patches of orange, green, white etc. Go to a hairdressers!
Reply 6
didgeridoo12uk

only if you have black/dark brown hair. and anyway, gingerness can be fixed with more bleach, although if you bleach it to much, your hairs condition will get quite bad unless you use expensive conditioners

I have darkish blond hair / light brown hair... it went ginger
Reply 7
Wouldn't recommend it. If you're ever going more than 2 shades away from your current hair colour, leave it to the professionals. If you're just bored of your hair colour, try L'Oreal Casting Creme gloss in a shade similar to your natural colour. This is my dye of choice and it keeps my hair looking bright/really shiny. It washes out after a few months and it's easy to use.

If your hair has the slightest bit of red in it then it can cause the blonde to be very brassy.
didgeridoo12uk

I call ********.
You can go ginger if you have any colour of hair.

And you don't need to use expensive conditioners.
Reply 9
Shockley
I wonder if anyone can help. I have lightish brown hair, some of it naturally bleached from the sun. I've been considering going blonde for ages and last week I bought a Loreal Bleaching Kit: http://www.lloydspharmacy.com/webapp/wcs/stores/servlet/ProductDisplay?langId=-1&storeId=90&catalogId=958&productId=308675

I havent used it yet, to be honest Im not sure how wise it is to dye it myself as I have heard so many stories on TSR of people's hair going ginger/green etc :s-smilie: If I do dye it myself though, is this the right kit to use? Also what can I do to stop it going a strange colour, for example should I use a certain type of conditioner? Any advice would be much appreciated, cheers. :smile:

its normally better for you to get it done at the salon and then keep topping it up with products bought from shops then its easier and no worry of it goin a different colour lol
C-h-a-r_7
I have darkish blond hair / light brown hair... it went ginger

unlucky.... i did have black dyed hair, and when i went blonde, it went mega ginger, but eventually got there after 5 or so bleachings. (in retrospect would of been easier to go to a hairdressers).

my natural colour is darkish blonde / lightish brown, and when i occasionaly bleach my hair now, it always works fine, no gingerness at all. just assumed it would be the same for everyone...
NO. Do not do it, it will go wrong. The rule generally is that if you're making your hair darker, you can do it at home. If it's going lighter, don't even try. You just aren't good enough with bleach, the hairdressers are.

Good hairdressers will gradually lighten your hair with meshes of highlights, so expect to pay quite alot for it.

If you have a dodgy hairdresser and they will lighten it all in one go, then you can keep doing it at home. But the initial lightening should never be done yourself because youwill cock it up, however careful you are.
No, depends how much red your hair contains, because it's the most stubborn pigment to get rid of.
Reply 13
smellslikemarmite
Just don't.

Hairdresser.

Got an appointment for this afternoon to get it cut so I'll see how much they charge. If its less than £50 I'll probably get it booked.:smile:
Reply 14
Joanna May
NO. Do not do it, it will go wrong. The rule generally is that if you're making your hair darker, you can do it at home. If it's going lighter, don't even try. You just aren't good enough with bleach, the hairdressers are.

Good hairdressers will gradually lighten your hair with meshes of highlights, so expect to pay quite alot for it.

If you have a dodgy hairdresser and they will lighten it all in one go, then you can keep doing it at home. But the initial lightening should never be done yourself because youwill cock it up, however careful you are.

I didn't know that was what good haidressers do, mine did that though when I decided to go back to blonde so that's a good thing! Though they did say they can book me in for a colour removal session but it would take 4 or 5 hours.
Reply 15
alenax
Though they did say they can book me in for a colour removal session but it would take 4 or 5 hours.

4 or 5 hours!! :eek: How long should it generally take to get mine dyed blonde at the salon in one go?
Reply 16
Shockley
4 or 5 hours!! :eek: How long should it generally take to get mine dyed blonde at the salon in one go?

It depends on how thorough the hairdresser is, how long/thick your hair is, how dark it is in the first place etc. When I went blonde before, I had quite dark hair so they had to bleach it a few times in one session but left me with intensive conditioner under one of those heat lamp circle things for quite a while in between every bleach. Took ages but was definitely worth it, had amazing hair when they were finished!
alenax
I didn't know that was what good haidressers do, mine did that though when I decided to go back to blonde so that's a good thing! Though they did say they can book me in for a colour removal session but it would take 4 or 5 hours.

Well, it's not necessarily that good hairdressers won't completely remove the colour first time if asked, just that the highlights is the best plan possible. Stripping the colour out of your hair is awful for it, and leaves it in really bad condition for a long time. If your hairdresser suggests this without mentioning anything else, they're irresponsible. Stripping the colour should always be a last resort.
don't do it at home! I have dark blonde hair and tried to go lighter, and it went orange! Went to the hairdressers in shame and they dyed it dark - luckily i actually prefer it dark!

please go to the hairdressers if you can afford it, or else dont do it at all, or else you will cry! x
When I went from light brown to blonde (more like gingery brown (old hair dye) back to a nicer blonde than my original hair colour) the hairdresser put in a really fine head of highlights with a cap. I would definitely recommend this.

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending