The Student Room Group

Scroll to see replies

Manchester certainly has become very strong in terms of available resources from the mergers, and according to the guardian newspaper "plans are in motion to make it [manchester uni] one of the top 25 universities in the world by 2015".

Although I doubt manchester will become a top 5 uni in the UK it will definately have a much greater global standing which will enhance both its national and international reputation.
Ericz
I am just wondering, will the newly-established University of Manchester be close to the top 5 or even be in the top 5? especially since it has recently merged the Victoria University of Manchester & UMIST together?

Any take on it ?
:confused:

The potential of the combined University of Manchester is fantastic and it would not surprise me if they achieved their goal of breaking into the 'top25' world universities.
There is perhaps no argument to be had over the top 5 UK unis. They are as follow in the very precise order:

1. Cambridge
2. Oxford
3. Imperial
4. LSE
5. UCL

I will say that the poition of Oxford and Cambridge is interchangable. So is the the position of LSE and UCL. But those five are regarded the best internationally.

But I must also add that there is a group of other universities that are just as highly sought after depending on the course. They are

Warwick,
Durham,
York,
Nottingham,
Manchester.

The financial status of the universities is also a good indicator. Those 5 I have listed do also happen to be the richest. Well by dividing their yearly income by the number of students.
In my opinion, the top 5 are:
1. North East Wales Institute of HE
2. University of Wales, Newport
3. Thames Valley University
4. University of East London
5. University of Paisley
The Colonel
5. University of Paisley

yes I agree, actually, you should replace one of those with University of Greenwich. :p:
wickedsingh
There is perhaps no argument to be had over the top 5 UK unis. They are as follow in the very precise order:

1. Cambridge
2. Oxford
3. Imperial
4. LSE
5. UCL

I will say that the poition of Oxford and Cambridge is interchangable. So is the the position of LSE and UCL. But those five are regarded the best internationally.

Agreed.

But I must also add that there is a group of other universities that are just as highly sought after depending on the course. They are

Warwick,
Durham,
York,
Nottingham,
Manchester.

The financial status of the universities is also a good indicator. Those 5 I have listed do also happen to be the richest. Well by dividing their yearly income by the number of students.

Edinburgh ahead of all of those but i agree with the selection otherwise(though some of those could be interchangable with omitted institutions).
Reply 126
Bristol and Nottingham are pretty similar in status, so I don't see why it's left out.
TheWolf
Bristol and Nottingham are pretty similar in status, so I don't see why it's left out.

Oh yeah I forgot about Bristol, I would replace it with Manchester.
Reply 128
wickedsingh

1. Cambridge
2. Oxford
3. Imperial
4. LSE
5. UCL

Agreed. Domestically, Imperial just out does LSE in recent years. Havign said that, LSE and Imperial always seem to fight it out for 3rd and 4th place in national tables.

Internationally its Oxbridge, LSE then the rest. LSE's international rep is amazing. (it even gives oxbridge a run for its money.)

As for G5. it is defined as Oxbridge + the 3 UoL's. Simple as that. It is not subject to variation.
Reply 129
d750
Agreed. Most of the international students I've met would rather go to London than to any other university outside Oxbridge. And that isn't because they just want to live in London - there does seem to be a general perception that Oxford, Cambridge and London are the best places to study in the UK. But I'd even say that there is a similar perception among UK students - certainly those who want to stay on beyond undergrad degrees. The best research, and the best research funding, is certainly at the G5 institutions. It's very hard to argue with that.

I see. The Times, however, disagree with you:

http://www.timesonline.co.uk/article/0,,8405-1246279,00.html

http://www.timesonline.co.uk/article/0,,8405-1246616,00.html

Further, you say that "there does seem to be a general perception that Oxford, Cambridge and London are the best places to study in the UK". If you allow me to disagree with you, how did you come up that this is indeed a general perception? Yes, it seems the case that Oxbridge is considered to be the top, but I would say this doesn't hold for London colleges *in general*. Only LSE and maybe Imperial would belong to such a "general perception".
That is, if you allow me to disagree with you!
Reply 130
The Colonel
5. University of Paisley

Fully agree.

Oxbridge is *****.
Jonnyola
I see. The Times, however, disagree with you:

No they do not. Or have the Times suddenly (and surreptitiously) introduced 'international student opinion' as a criteria?
Further, you say that "there does seem to be a general perception that Oxford, Cambridge and London are the best places to study in the UK". If you allow me to disagree with you, how did you come up that this is indeed a general perception?

Through interaction and research with domestic and international students, educational media etc spanning years. The only reason one might disagree with the statement that the G5 grouping is the most commonly considered group of UK Unis in international terms is bias or ignorance.
Yes, it seems the case that Oxbridge is considered to be the top, but I would say this doesn't hold for London colleges *in general*. Only LSE and maybe Imperial would belong to such a "general perception".
That is, if you allow me to disagree with you!

Nobody has said the London colleges *in general*. The london colleges which are part of the G5 - UCL, LSE and Imperial - are undeniably of the greatest international repute next to Oxbridge. You are allowing your affiliation with Warwick to cloud your judgement on this topic.
Reply 132
beekeeper_
With all due respect, the Times, and guardian league tables are not 'proof'.

Besides, you can not change the g5, it is Oxbridge, Imperial, LSE and UCL. That is not up for debate, it is a fact. Think up a g6 if you're that bothered, but the g5 is not going to get changed.

Yes, my friend. But we all wonder: What kind of fact is it? Is it an arbitrary positing? Is it an ideological tool? Certaintly, the G5 does not represent the top 5 UK research universities. Neither the last RAE makes such a claim nor the Times (http://www.timesonline.co.uk/article/0,,8405-1246315,00.html). So I was wondering if you are asking us to listen to you instead of those two sources!
Reply 133
lawgrad
I don't quite know what is your problem with this 'G5' term, it is just a generally accepted term used (together with 'Golden Triangle of British education') to describe those five particular universities, which are the most prestigious and research-intensive universities in the UK. Nothing more. This (unlike the annual capricious league tables) is not something debatable - it just is!

With regards to research:
For the past few decades, the total research income (both from the government and the private sector) given to four universities (Cambridge, Oxford, UCL, Imperial - with each receiving roughly the same income of about 450 million pounds) accounts for nearly 30% of the entire research income available to all the universities in the UK. This research income is distributed according to the government AND the private sector's assessment of the respective universities research potential. Number 5 on the list is King's College London, with about 130 million pounds.

No comment:

http://www.timesonline.co.uk/article/0,,8405-1246315,00.html
Jonnyola
Yes, my friend. But we all wonder: What kind of fact is it? Is it an arbitrary positing? Is it an ideological tool? Certaintly, the G5 does not represent the top 5 UK research universities. Neither the last RAE makes such a claim nor the Times (http://www.timesonline.co.uk/article/0,,8405-1246315,00.html). So I was wondering if you are asking us to listen to you instead of those two sources!

The G5 represents the UKs most internationally known universities. As i have previously stated the RAE should not be treated more seriously than it deserves and highly variable nature of times tables (decided by several irrelevant criteria) does not decide beyond doubt the 5 best universities in the UK although it would obviously suit your own bias if this were the case.

See all previous statements regarding credibility of RAE.
Reply 136
an Siarach
The G5 represents the UKs most internationally known universities. As i have previously stated the RAE should not be treated more seriously than it deserves and highly variable nature of times tables (decided by several irrelevant criteria) does not decide beyond doubt the 5 best universities in the UK although it would obviously suit your own bias if this were the case.

Ok. last comment before i go for a burger! You are claiming that i'm biased towards a certain institution. But all my arguments were dependent on tables and facts given by certain sources. Then you come along and say that I'm using certain sources just because they suit me, without thinking that despite their convenience these sources are supposed to have been given from a vantage point that is not biased towards a certain institution. So I really don't understand in what way I am biased!!! It seems to me that the one who uses completely subjective sources here is you, that is your own mind and personal environment (with all due respect!).
Jonnyola
You are claiming that i'm biased towards a certain institution.

You are.
But all my arguments were dependent on tables and facts given by certain sources. Then you come along and say that I'm using certain sources just because they suit me, without thinking that despite their convenience these sources are supposed to have been given from a vantage point that is not biased towards a certain institution.

You pick the tables/rankings/criteria simply on a basis of whether or not they support your own subjective view. You ignore the rankings and evidence which go against your favoured outcome.
So I really don't understand in what way I am biased!!! It seems to me that the one who uses completely subjective sources here is you, that is your own mind and personal environment (with all due respect!).

You are not looking at data etc to arrive at a conclusion but to find evidence to support the conclusion at which you have already arrived. That is what makes you biased. As regards my use of completely subjective sources (which is to say experience of many discussions on this topic over many years, with many different types/nationalities) i have no attachment or affiliation to any of the disputed universities (Oxford,Cambridge,LSE,Imperial,UCL,Warwick) and thus am completely objective with regards to this topic. It matters not one bit to me if Warwick or UCL has a better international reputation i simply state the fact that UCL does. Also as well as my opinions having been formed by years of research on this topic and discourse relating to it they are totally supported by the only international ranking worth taking seriously but which you (conveniently! as it does not support your own promotion of Warwick) ignore.
Reply 138
Jonnyola,

G5 is reputation. This is not the same as REA ratings, or number of 1, 2.1 ratios, etc.

The best way to see reputation is at the world league tables, by THES.

This table rates the view of the top 1300+ scholars in the world, and is weighted as 50% of the overall rankings thus a far better representative of reputation. In this case, it Oxbridge 4/5th. LSE is 1tth, Imperial 14th, and UCL just below hence the g5 unis.

However, it shud also be noted that reputation is not the same as 'the best.' As you have allready mentioned warwick has great REA ratings, etc.
Reply 139
Chardonnay
Oxbridge + the 3 london unis = golden triangle.

A triangle with 5 sides :confused: :rolleyes:

Latest

Trending

Trending