The Student Room Group

IELTS vs TOEFL

Hello,

I'll be sitting the IELTS exam this Saturday and it would appreciative if any 1 could provide me with some help.

1. Has any one here sat both english exams, TOEFL and IELTS? if yes, which was difficult and in what way? any additional comments will be helpful.

2. Has any on sat the IELTS, if yes, was it easy? what score did you get? any additional comments will be helpful.

3. Any one know where i could practice samples of the IELTS, i know the official site does have only 1 however with no model answer.

Thank you.

Scroll to see replies

k0rrupter
Hello,

I'll be sitting the IELTS exam this Saturday and it would appreciative if any 1 could provide me with some help.

1. Has any one here sat both english exams, TOEFL and IELTS? if yes, which was difficult and in what way? any additional comments will be helpful.

2. Has any on sat the IELTS, if yes, was it easy? what score did you get? any additional comments will be helpful.

3. Any one know where i could practice samples of the IELTS, i know the official site does have only 1 however with no model answer.

Thank you.

Hi, I'm going to sit the IELTS exam in march :smile:
I talked to some friends who sat the exam already, and they said the the Reading part is the most difficult one. In the Listening part you've to concentrate, cause you'll hear the sections only once.

Here are two websites I got from the British Council:
http://international.holmesglen.vic.edu.au/IELTS.htm there are some online exercises and some examples to download in pdf format
http://www.ielts-test.com there you find reading test online, writing samples and you can do an online listening

Hope this helps :smile:
Reply 2
Thank you
Reply 3
Although I'm not taking those english tests, I wish you guys good luck! Tell us the scores that you got when the results are published.

I'm bored right now and seeing those sites that missgalaxy posted. The first one doesn't work.
trev
Although I'm not taking those english tests, I wish you guys good luck! Tell us the scores that you got when the results are published.

I'm bored right now and seeing those sites that missgalaxy posted. The first one doesn't work.

oops, sorry :p:
here's the right one http://international.holmesglen.vic.edu.au/IELTS01.htm
hope it works this time :smile:
Reply 5
Some of the websites on the 2nd one don't work when it refers to the official IELTS website and saying that there is no such page anymore.
i took TOEFL

trust me...it's really really really retarded
Reply 7
eurasianfeline
i took TOEFL

trust me...it's really really really retarded

Why/how?
my sister took TOEFL and said it's ridiculous, but I think the results are only valid for 2 years so it's not something permanent you can put on your CV
trev
Why/how?

it was so easy i got so bored and almost fell asleep
Reply 10
Although I don't take any english tests, I read about it too. I think it should be pernament though instead of valid for 2 years.
Reply 11
haha, yeah i did the TOEFL too... piece of cake, its cool how you get to leave whenver ur done, i finished way before the end time.
trev
Although I don't take any english tests, I read about it too. I think it should be pernament though instead of valid for 2 years.

I was going to take it just so that I'd have it if necessary but I was told to wait until I actually needed because of it...

anyway, I was told some questions are as ridiculous as finding a synonym to substitute words in a sentence (and it's given in a multiple choice format :rolleyes: )
KingAS
haha, yeah i did the TOEFL too... piece of cake, its cool how you get to leave whenver ur done, i finished way before the end time.

me too haha

i was the last to walk in...and the first to walk out...i couldn't wait to finish it so i could go home and sleep. had to wake up extra early that morning for the stupid test.
Reply 14
Natalie Lane
I was going to take it just so that I'd have it if necessary but I was told to wait until I actually needed because of it...

anyway, I was told some questions are as ridiculous as finding a synonym to substitute words in a sentence (and it's given in a multiple choice format :rolleyes: )

I'm assuming only some parts are multiple choice, while the rest is writing and stuff like that.

Assuming that you are not going to university then. If you are, you need to take TOEFL/IELTS.
trev
I'm assuming only some parts are multiple choice, while the rest is writing and stuff like that.

Assuming that you are not going to university then. If you are, you need to take TOEFL/IELTS.

I'm planning on staying here for university (can't really afford to go to england :frown: ) so the TOEFL would only be needed for a post grad course or (as my sister is doing) an exchange program between a local university and a foreign one, which for me could only happen a few yearsfrom now...
Reply 16
I already did the TOEFL and achieved a score of 570, and the uni needs a min. of 600. if i retake the toefl i'd have to wait till mid march then another month till the results come out, thus application would take some time. tht is why i'm take the ielts, coz it's every 2 weeks and results come out after 10 - 14 days.
Reply 17
Natalie Lane
I'm planning on staying here for university (can't really afford to go to england :frown: ) so the TOEFL would only be needed for a post grad course or (as my sister is doing) an exchange program between a local university and a foreign one, which for me could only happen a few yearsfrom now...

Fair enough.
Reply 18
k0rrupter
I already did the TOEFL and achieved a score of 570, and the uni needs a min. of 600. if i retake the toefl i'd have to wait till mid march then another month till the results come out, thus application would take some time. tht is why i'm take the ielts, coz it's every 2 weeks and results come out after 10 - 14 days.

Minimum 600? I was surfing around some uni's website for UK A-level qualifications for my course, it says that international students should have a score of 550. Most uni's want a score of at least 550 or above.
Reply 19
I took the IELTS........ real easy. But at the end i got 9889 :frown:. Even so, i dont see any point in preparation. If you are capable of posting on TSR, then you will no doubt achieve a decent mark at the test.

Latest

Trending

Trending