couples who met on TSR Watch

This discussion is closed.
Muse
Badges: 13
Rep:
?
Report 13 years ago
(Original post by Speciez99)
I wouldnt want to discuss my relationships online personally.........
Me neither, but if other people meeting online has made them happy then nobody can really argue with that.
tis_me_lord
Badges: 14
Report 13 years ago
(Original post by Helenia)
It's not pessimism, it's realism. These things don't always work. Some people are lucky. Others are not.
Sounds pretty identical to real life relationships, if you ask me.
F. Poste
Badges: 0
Rep:
?
Report 13 years ago
(Original post by [email protected])
but how could you be together with someone ... if you'd never met them? :confused:
Yeah.. I would have felt like a bit of a fraud if I'd started calling my boyfriend just that before I'd met him...
Helenia
Badges: 20
Rep:
?
Report 13 years ago
(Original post by Sarky)
What in life does always work? Marriages have a rubbish survival rate but if someone said they were getting married it wouldn't have the same stigma attached.

That said i can see what people mean about saying you're with someone who you haven't met.
Well, that's my main point about it, plus I've seen so many of my friends' long-distance relationships crumble at uni (and these were people who they actually knew at home, rather than net relationships) that I have to remain realistic about these things - it's nice for people to try, but most of the time, despite eternal optimism from both parties, they're just not meant to be. Marriage doesn't even come into it.

(Original post by tis me lord)
Sounds pretty identical to real life relationships, if you ask me.
Yes, but without the added stress of distance added to it.
tis_me_lord
Report 13 years ago
(Original post by F. Poste)
Yeah.. I would have felt like a bit of a fraud if I'd started calling my boyfriend just that before I'd met him...
That's why I say Hannah and I have been together 6 months instead of 7 or 8. We were close before, but unless you meet it doesn't count.
tis_me_lord
Report 13 years ago
Yes, but without the added stress of distance added to it.
If you're at that stage where when you meet you can say anything to that person, act like a total prat and not care, and be 100% yourself I don't give a crap about waiting 3 more weeks until I can go through it again.
Helenia
Badges: 20
Rep:
?
Report 13 years ago
(Original post by tis_me_lord)
If you're at that stage where when you meet you can say anything to that person, act like a total prat and not care, and be 100% yourself I don't give a crap about waiting 3 more weeks until I can go through it again.
Are you just being mad at me because I never approved in the first place?

It works for some people. I've tried it and it didn't, and it's not something I want in my life at the moment. Too much stress, and it still just feels weird.
tis_me_lord
Report 13 years ago
Are you just being mad at me because I never approved in the first place?

It works for some people. I've tried it and it didn't, and it's not something I want in my life at the moment. Too much stress, and it still just feels weird.
I''m not mad at you full stop, let alone the reasons.

Nobody is telling you to have one, but I get enough stigma over this unconventional method of relationship as it is, without my internet friends saying it wont work. :eek:
Toy Soldier
Rep:
?
Report 13 years ago
I knew a guy online years ago, who met a girl on an internet forum. He lived in Liverpool and she lived in... Texas, I think. Or one of those states. Anyway... he ended up moving to the US and marrying her :eek:. They only talked by email/forum/AIM/phone for something like 9 months, as he was only 17 at the time and had to get a job and save up to go over there. I think they only met 5 or 6 times (for 2 weeks at a time though) before he moved there. As far as I know they're still married. I lost contact with both of them
technik
Badges: 11
Rep:
?
Report 13 years ago
(Original post by foolfarian)
If there was a smiley for 'look of disgust' I would use it...
i can understnad people who used tsr to come into contact with people at same uni/college, but to actually start up on tsr...
yea that is sad if people come here with that intention.

i think for most its just a consequence of being here for other reasons, chance.
pikaboo
Rep:
?
Report 13 years ago
(Original post by technik)

i think for most its just a consequence of being here for other reasons, chance.
I wasn't even looking for a boyfriend away from TSR, let alone on it...I just happened to come across someone who tolerated my pokemon rants and had the ideas about innuendo and Big Brother as I did, which is rare in today's society.
Toy Soldier
Rep:
?
Report 13 years ago
(Original post by technik)

Yes... I doubt anyone comes to TSR thinking "Woooo... potential relationships!". If they're talking to someone for anther reason, get to know them and really like them, then it's a different matter. You can't help who you like, no matter how you meet them.
Toy Soldier
Rep:
?
Report 13 years ago
(Original post by pikaboo)
someone who tolerated my pokemon rants and had the ideas about innuendo and Big Brother as I did, which is rare in today's society.
...it is rare... isn't it. And ANY days society I would think :p:
cktlee1
Rep:
?
Report 13 years ago
(Original post by Toy Soldier)
I knew a guy online years ago, who met a girl on an internet forum. He lived in Liverpool and she lived in... Texas, I think. Or one of those states. Anyway... he ended up moving to the US and marrying her :eek:. They only talked by email/forum/AIM/phone for something like 9 months, as he was only 17 at the time and had to get a job and save up to go over there. I think they only met 5 or 6 times (for 2 weeks at a time though) before he moved there. As far as I know they're still married. I lost contact with both of them
i remembered some chinese novel and many proverb saying, love is not limited by distance, when u are in love with someone, u can feel they are right next to u.

it might be hard to keep a long distance relationship that started on the web, but i think those who were really right for each other, should do what your friend did, and have a happy life thereafter wish your friends happy forever if u get to contact them again
tis_me_lord
Report 13 years ago
Yes... I doubt anyone comes to TSR thinking "Woooo... potential relationships!". If they're talking to someone for anther reason, get to know them and really like them, then it's a different matter. You can't help who you like, no matter how you meet them.
I can't help how I feel - I've seriously fallen for that avatar. God. Mmm.
F. Poste
Rep:
?
Report 13 years ago
(Original post by tis_me_lord)
I can't help how I feel - I've seriously fallen for that avatar. God. Mmm.
I only started dating Babyshambles to get hold of his avatar :p: and I did!

.. and yes, I am kidding :p:
pikaboo
Rep:
?
Report 13 years ago
...it is rare... isn't it. And ANY days society I would think :p:
Indeed. Just shows how precious he is. *melts*

*points* You're to blame for that mush.
tis_me_lord
Report 13 years ago
(Original post by F. Poste)
I only started dating Babyshambles to get hold of his avatar :p: and I did!

.. and yes, I am kidding :p:
*****, why didn't I think of that?

Oh, it was a joke... er yeah, of course. :embarasse
Sophdoph
Badges: 1
Rep:
?
Report 13 years ago
A friend of mine met an American girl on an internet forum. She flew here to meet him after they'd been getting close online/on the phone/swapping pics etc. He proposed to her after I guess about 6months of them knowing each other online, has since been to America over xmas to meet her and it looks like the wedding is going to happen.

Pretty amazing, I wouldn't have thought it'd last because I feel like you don't really know somebody until you meet them, spend time with them in person, but good luck to anyone who can make it work!
technik
Badges: 11
Rep:
?
Report 13 years ago
(Original post by Sophdoph)
A friend of mine met an American girl on an internet forum. She flew here to meet him after they'd been getting close online/on the phone/swapping pics etc. He proposed to her after I guess about 6months of them knowing each other online, has since been to America over xmas to meet her and it looks like the wedding is going to happen.

Pretty amazing, I wouldn't have thought it'd last because I feel like you don't really know somebody until you meet them, spend time with them in person, but good luck to anyone who can make it work!
the internet is a good place to meet people as friends really. if they live close and u can visit its a bonus. i think about the people i know from online, even if its just from talking on msn to them, and that i would never have met any of them otherwise.
X
Latest
My Feed

See more of what you like on
The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

Personalise

Did you get less than your required grades and still get into university?

Yes (47)
29.19%
No - I got the required grades (94)
58.39%
No - I missed the required grades and didn't get in (20)
12.42%

Watched Threads