Turn on thread page Beta

ReputationRep:
    I got a letter from Reading over the weekend saying that they were closing their Linguistics course. I got the form to cancel or apply to another course/uni, but I wonder is it worth applying somewhere else. Will the university have to consider me, or can they just bin the application as the 15th Jan deadline is long passed?

Is it a bit late in the day to decide to cancel the course on me...I'll have to do all the research again. I thought that was over with.

I have a course I want as my firm, but I'm still undecided about the insurance.What do you lot think, is it worth me trying somewhere else? I put Reading down for Linguistics as it has a good reputation for Linguistics, but what I really wanted was English Language and Linguistics.

also, if I do put somewhere else down, um, where?

ReputationRep:
    That happened to me last year...I applied to Keele for psychology and applies social studies but applied ss got cancelled. So I changed it to psych and sociology and got an offer. I'm sure other places will consider you if you apply to them now...you're actual form was in before the deadline and it can't hurt to try!

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by PQ)
    It's worth a try if there's anywhere you fancy - linguistics tends to get filled up with a few english rejects during clearing so there will still be places available even at the most "competetive" unis.

Looking at UCAS (and the type of uni you've already applied to) it might be worth considering
    Cardiff QQ31
    Lancaster QQC3
    Leeds QQ13
    Manchester QQ13
    Queen Mary London QQ31
    Queens, Belfast QQ31
    Sheffield Q3Q1
    St Andrews Q3Q1

They don't all specify english language and linguistics (ie some may have a lit component) and the last two are "with" (1/3 ling) not "and" (50:50) courses.

Oh,, PQ, you're a doll!

I'll have a proper look at school tomorrow (I'm in a net cafe here).

cheers!

It's all bloody annoying though. I don't mind them cancelling the course so much, it's just the fact they've waited til now...

ReputationRep:
    Haha, fair enough.

At least it wasn't my first choice...

ReputationRep:
    :eek: They're closing Linguistics too??!! They're closing down their historic Music department at the end of this year, too. That new Vice-Chancellor really is bad news...

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by PQ)
    Could be worse - think of the poor buggers in Exeter who've had their courses cancelled part way through :eek:
    Hmmm yes well - think of us poor buggers who had been doing Music at Reading! All of us 1st years had our courses cancelled - we were transferred to RHUL, straight into the 2nd year. Admittedly RHUL does have a fantastic Music department (6*), so I can't complain about that - but all the same! What happened at Reading was a bloody shock, I can tell you...

Poll
Were you ever put in isolation at school?
Useful resources
Uni match

Applying to uni?

Our tool will help you find the perfect course

Articles:

Debate and current affairs guidelinesDebate and current affairs wiki

Quick link:

Educational debate unanswered threads

Groups associated with this forum:

View associated groups

The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Write a reply...
Hide
Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.