We're absolutely loved in Ireland :rolleyes:
NDGAARONDI

Are you being ironic?!!!
Reply 3
NDGAARONDI

the majority of irish people have no trouble with the english
DaveManUK, why is there a particular focus on English people specifically?
Reply 5
i have no trouble with english people apart from their ineptitude at geography and politics. i come across so many that think ireland is one country. i mean WTF is being taught in the schools there??! :biggrin:

as a people, they are the same as the scots, welsh, n.irish and irish in most respects
Please, not another Ireland thread!
technik
i have no trouble with english people apart from their ineptitude at geography and politics. i come across so many that think ireland is one country. i mean WTF is being taught in the schools there??! :biggrin:

as a people, they are the same as the scots, welsh, n.irish and irish in most respects

mmm not so sure...the scots and irish are definitely different from the welsh and english,and from each other, but its hard to put a finger on how
technik
the majority of irish people have no trouble with the english

Which would make sense given that the majority number of economic immigrants in 2003 in this country is Ireland, see http://politics.guardian.co.uk/conservatives/story/0,9061,1397900,00.html In fact, I know one myself and she's fine :wink:
Reply 9
NDGAARONDI
Which would make sense given that the majority number of economic immigrants in 2003 in this country is Ireland, see http://politics.guardian.co.uk/conservatives/story/0,9061,1397900,00.html In fact, I know one myself and she's fine :wink:

the irish accent gives me great difficulties. i find it hard to take them seriously.
Reply 10
DaveManUK
I just wondered what you think of English people. What do u like or dislike about them? Are you one? If so how do u feel you are viewed by other cultures, both in the UK and internationally. Thanks.

Yes, I'm English. I feel we are viewed by other cultures in the same way we view them - with a mixture of interest, annoyance, misunderstanding, etc. etc. I do think we are unfairly stereotyped perhaps rather more than other nations, though.
technik
the irish accent gives me great difficulties.

In understanding?
Reply 12
NDGAARONDI
DaveManUK, why is there a particular focus on English people specifically?

there was another thread somewhere about the chinese, and i was curious.
Reply 13
kew96158
I do think we are unfairly stereotyped perhaps rather more than other nations, though.

In what way? Is it cos of Tony Blair?
Reply 14
DaveManUK
I just wondered what you think of English people. What do u like or dislike about them? Are you one? If so how do u feel you are viewed by other cultures, both in the UK and internationally. Thanks.

From what I've seen on this forum, most Limey's are self flagellating, bleeding heart, pacifistic liberals.

http://www.hha.com.au/NonFiction_300dpi/pacifist%20guide%20flagellation.jpg
Reply 15
DaveManUK

I personally think the English is a superb nation. Socially and racially so diverse and aware (all i have to do is juxatapose English football fans against the racism in Europeen games.) Much less xenophobia and public acceptance.

Likewise, England as a country is extremely laid back and in general most people are politer than comparative countires, (comapring Lodoners to NY and Beijing.)

My only complaint is that politically i would like to see the government develop some backbone and not do exactly what George Bush wants. But I guess that doesn't count as it's not applicable to the English people.
Reply 16
[QUOTE="Douglas"]From what I've seen on this forum, most Limey's are self flagellating, bleeding heart, pacifistic liberals.

From what I've seen on this forum, most Limey's are self flagellating, bleeding heart, pacifistic liberals.

http://www.hha.com.au/NonFiction_30...lagellation.jpg
Please tell me you are not serious...
DaveManUK

Fair enough then.
Reply 18
I find the English boring, to be honest. I've grown up in the UK and find other cultures much more interesting. Britain's still very old fashioned in a lot of its attitudes and that annoys me, though granted there are other countries out there that are more so. I'm only 1/4 English, so sometimes I find it difficult to relate to my English friends on some issues.

Don't get me wrong, I love England, I'm just very aware that it's far from perfect. The education system wants changing for starters...

(This is just my opinion, if I've offended anybody I didn't intend to).
Lidia
(This is just my opinion, if I've offended anybody I didn't intend to).

You reminded me of something I have always noticed in the English...

As a people, the English are incredibly cautious about offending others. In some ways, it's cute, and it's nice that so many of them care about being polite. On the other hand, sometimes I wish they would take a more bold stance on their opinions, and not care so much about being nice.

Latest

Trending

Trending