This discussion is closed.
lou p lou
Badges: 2
Rep:
?
Report Thread starter 17 years ago
January 2004, we will be able to resit modules as often as we like + the best result will be taken. Is this fair? Should we be able to keep going until we get a good enough grade? If someone did a maths module such as P1 in Jan of their 1st year, they could potentially resit it in June, November, the next January and the next June. That's 5 attempts for 1 paper!!! Is that fair that you can do that?

I think it's unfair that they only told us of that rule after entries were submitted for the November matsh resits. If I had known that i could have another attempt in June if I needed it, I would definately have waited til january to do my S1 again.

Wait do people think?- resits- good or bad thing?

lou xxx
Sazzle
Badges: 1
Rep:
?
Report 17 years ago
I think you can only resit once (or maybe twice)

I did my A-levels without any resits, but had I needed to I would probably have taken some to boost my marks. Although I think you should work hard for the original exam there's no point taking a lesser grade because you're too proud to resit especially when everyone else is using the chance.
Petrozzi
Badges: 10
Rep:
?
Report 17 years ago
(Original post by lou p lou)
January 2004, we will be able to resit modules as often as we like + the best result will be taken. Is this fair? Should we be able to keep going until we get a good enough grade? If someone did a maths module such as P1 in Jan of their 1st year, they could potentially resit it in June, November, the next January and the next June. That's 5 attempts for 1 paper!!! Is that fair that you can do that?

I think it's unfair that they only told us of that rule after entries were submitted for the November matsh resits. If I had known that i could have another attempt in June if I needed it, I would definately have waited til january to do my S1 again.

lou xxx
Hmm, I'm reluctant to say it boils down to good or bad, more neccesary. To say they're bad would support the model students who work their little hearts out, and of course to say they're good supports lazy students *cough*. I suppose it's just something that's in place and thinking about it carefully, there should be some moderation involved such as a max of 3 retakes or so. The thing that affects students that retake the most though, is all the worrying they do whether the Universities frown upon it or not. This needs to be addressed in my opinion.
Unregistered
Badges:
Report 17 years ago
You can resit unlimited times. The best mark always counts.
mr-shiraz
Badges: 3
Rep:
?
Report 17 years ago
Taking five attempts does seem a bit ridiculous
lou p lou
Badges: 2
Rep:
?
Report Thread starter 17 years ago
(Original post by mr-shiraz)
Taking five attempts does seem a bit ridiculous
to be honest i think most people would have given up by then, but there is nothing to stop them doing it... (except a lack of money paying for the resits).

lou xxx
SaeedRehman
Badges: 0
Report 17 years ago
when did this rule come out, we can resit as many times as we like or more than once atleast? i heard there were talks about it, but were not sure to implement it or not?
fionah
Rep:
?
Report 17 years ago
For english, and film studies, on wjec the rule is you can resit once and choose which of the 2 grades you want

If you resit again then you have to settle with that grade.
Petrozzi
Badges: 10
Rep:
?
Report 17 years ago
(Original post by fionah)
For english, and film studies, on wjec the rule is you can resit once and choose which of the 2 grades you want

If you resit again then you have to settle with that grade.
I take Film Studies on WJEC, quite a cool subject so far.
Juwel
Badges: 18
Rep:
?
Report 17 years ago
I could swear you were only allowed one resit. The best mark is taken obviously.
DanMushMan
Badges: 7
Rep:
?
Report 17 years ago
in the old 'proper' style a-levels, you could resit as many times as you liked (for the modular courses, which included the maths and the sciences). If that rule has now returned, then its very unfair!
Juwel
Rep:
?
Report 17 years ago
(Original post by DanMushMan)
in the old 'proper' style a-levels, you could resit as many times as you liked (for the modular courses, which included the maths and the sciences). If that rule has now returned, then its very unfair!
No wonder A-Levels are taking a battering.
Weasel
Rep:
?
Report 17 years ago
(Original post by lou p lou)

lou xxx

NO YOU ARE DEFINITELY ONLY ALLOWED ONE RE-SIT TRUST ME I KNOW FOR A FACT. BUT YES THE BEST MARK COUNTS. BUT YOU CAN ONLY DO ONE RESIT FOR EACH UNIT PAPER.
Weasel
Rep:
?
Report 17 years ago
(Original post by ZJuwelH)
I could swear you were only allowed one resit. The best mark is taken obviously.

Yes you are right
mjf
Rep:
?
Report 17 years ago
(Original post by Weasel)
NO YOU ARE DEFINITELY ONLY ALLOWED ONE RE-SIT TRUST ME I KNOW FOR A FACT. BUT YES THE BEST MARK COUNTS. BUT YOU CAN ONLY DO ONE RESIT FOR EACH UNIT PAPER.
That is actually wrong now...it has been published that from January 1st 2004 you can retake any module as many times as you like and claim the best mark...does anyone know whether this applies to students who have started their A Levels before Jan 2004? Im planning on retaking a module in maths and chem, but would if possible like the chance to retake the AS modules.
G4ry
Rep:
?
Report 17 years ago
Where was this published? I'm very interested to know.
SaeedRehman
Report 17 years ago
(Original post by G4ry)
Where was this published? I'm very interested to know.
i read it on bbc news, that there were talks about it and implementing it soon, didnt know if it was going to go ahead, as there was alot of criticism.
Juwel
Rep:
?
Report 17 years ago
(Original post by SaeedRehman)
i read it on bbc news, that there were talks about it and implementing it soon, didnt know if it was going to go ahead, as there was alot of criticism.
Justified criticism, it makes a mockery of those of us who have enough ability to do it right first time (and second so as not to offend anyone or be a hypocrit). How do employers and universities distinguish between those of us who don't need umpteen attempts and those who regularly flopped before making the desired grade? I'm damn sure there's no resits of this number at uni!
SaeedRehman
Report 17 years ago
(Original post by ZJuwelH)
Justified criticism, it makes a mockery of those of us who have enough ability to do it right first time (and second so as not to offend anyone or be a hypocrit). How do employers and universities distinguish between those of us who don't need umpteen attempts and those who regularly flopped before making the desired grade? I'm damn sure there's no resits of this number at uni!
but ovbiously who the hell would try so many times, they get the jist of things dont they? they cant do any better! do they ever want to even go university???? or stay at doing, or should i say retaking a levels all their life...
Juwel
Rep:
?
Report 17 years ago
(Original post by SaeedRehman)
but ovbiously who the hell would try so many times, they get the jist of things dont they? they cant do any better! do they ever want to even go university???? or stay at doing, or should i say retaking a levels all their life...
True say, but there's always someone. I would have thought that flopping the second time was enough of a deterent, "OK I'm crap, I'm dropping this!"
Although a mate of mine says he will resit a year if he fails to make the grades to get into Cambridge. Obviously he hasn't accounted for if they reject him after interview or anything. Why waste a year for Cambridge, if they had already decided he isn't good enough?
X
Back
to top
Latest
My Feed

See more of what you like on
The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

Personalise

Following the government's announcement, do you think you will be awarded a fair grade this year?

Yes (528)
51.11%
No (505)
48.89%

Watched Threads