This discussion is closed.
Very Wise
Badges:
Report 17 years ago
Turkey could do what Croatia done in 98. The World Cup 2002 is full of suprises. You always get more
when you least expect it.

From: "Ian/Cath Ford" <[email protected]> Subject: Re: World Cup 2002 Date: 18 June 2002 23:49

On Tue, 18 Jun 2002 22:38:15 +0000 (UTC), "ath"
<[email protected]> wrote:

[q1]>I'm sure another owen dive will give england the advantage over brazil... england have scored so[/q1]
[q1]>many goals in open play this world cup.[/q1]

Ah, spoken like a true celt :-) Mind you, having seen Totti get a yellow for an incident which
seemed awfully similar today (and, incidently, how damned unlucky have Italy been this world cup?!),
they were damned lucky. It's that luck that, imo, may see them win the damned thing.

I'd be concerned about Brazil having the close control to run *at* the centre of the English
defence. Denmark showed up the full-backs to an extent, but I wonder how long the centre can hold
firm. I watch far too much club football to believe that centre backs go for more than a couple of
games without howling - and isn't the media attention on Ferdinand just setting him up for an og or
something :-)

And don't discount the Turks btw Omar. That's a very sound team with an awful lot of class in it -
remember, this is a team that came very close to beating Brazil. And Senegal - runners up in the ANC
and were the better side on the day but couldn't convert the penos.

Fwiw, semis are Brazil v Senegal; Germany v Spain (look - Spain are great and surely can'y be beaten
again - oh, alright then: South Korea in the semis....). Final? Oh, I'd love to say Senegal to beat
Spain, but you can't look beyond a 1-0 German vistory can you? Which is handy: I have them in the
sweepstake at work! :-)

Ian
--
Ian, Cath & Eoin Ford The view from Beccles

Support clubs against Carlton & Granada: Boycott ITV world cup coverage.

You know what to do: delete the dots but leave the .s to reply to us.
Rikki Prince
Badges:
Report 17 years ago
"Very Wise" <[email protected]> wrote in message
news:[email protected]... <snip>
[q1]> I'd be concerned about Brazil having the close control to run *at*[/q1]
the
[q1]> centre of the English defence. Denmark showed up the full-backs to[/q1]
an
[q1]> extent, but I wonder how long the centre can hold firm. I watch far too much club football to[/q1]
[q1]> believe that centre backs go for more than[/q1]
a
[q1]> couple of games without howling - and isn't the media attention on Ferdinand just setting him up[/q1]
[q1]> for an og or something :-)[/q1]

Hmm, they are building Rio up for a big fall, and he's quite good at scoring own goals. I think he's
mature enough to cope with the pressure though. He's always been World class, it's only since
Eriksson had the sense to get rid of the old wood at the back that he's had a chance to show the
world outside Upton Park what he can
do...

I think we need to play Brazil at their own game. If you're worried about our CBs coping with people
running at them, imagine how Brazil must be worrying, given how shaky their defence have looked. We
need to run at the their defence. Not play long balls or non-stop crosses, as we don't have a big
man to guarantee winning the headers. Instead, we need Owen to drop deep to pick it up in midfield,
or have Joey Cole in the midfield to run with the ball. Dyer can do it to an extent, but he's still
not fit, and he's normally forced into a wide position.

Rikki
Jhp
Badges:
Report 17 years ago
Rikki Prince <[email protected]> wrote in message
news:[email protected]...
[q1]> "Very Wise" <[email protected]> wrote in message[/q1]
[q1]> news:[email protected]... <snip>[/q1]
[q2]> > I'd be concerned about Brazil having the close control to run *at*[/q2]
[q1]> the[/q1]
[q2]> > centre of the English defence. Denmark showed up the full-backs to[/q2]
[q1]> an[/q1]
[q2]> > extent, but I wonder how long the centre can hold firm. I watch far too much club football to[/q2]
[q2]> > believe that centre backs go for more than[/q2]
[q1]> a[/q1]
[q2]> > couple of games without howling - and isn't the media attention on Ferdinand just setting him up[/q2]
[q2]> > for an og or something :-)[/q2]
[q1]>[/q1]
[q1]> Hmm, they are building Rio up for a big fall, and he's quite good at scoring own goals. I think[/q1]
[q1]> he's mature enough to cope with the pressure though. He's always been World class, it's only since[/q1]
[q1]> Eriksson had the sense to get rid of the old wood at the back that he's had a chance to show the[/q1]
[q1]> world outside Upton Park what he can[/q1]
[q1]> do...[/q1]
[q1]>[/q1]
[q1]> I think we need to play Brazil at their own game. If you're worried about our CBs coping with[/q1]
[q1]> people running at them, imagine how Brazil must be worrying, given how shaky their defence have[/q1]
[q1]> looked. We need to run at the their defence. Not play long balls or non-stop crosses, as we don't[/q1]
[q1]> have a big man to guarantee winning the headers. Instead, we need Owen to drop deep to pick it up[/q1]
[q1]> in midfield, or have Joey Cole in the midfield to run with the ball. Dyer can do it to an extent,[/q1]
[q1]> but he's still not fit, and he's normally forced into a wide position.[/q1]
[q1]>[/q1]
[q1]> Rikki[/q1]
[q1]>[/q1]
[q1]>[/q1]
Hopefully this horror will all be over by lunchtime and we all go back to normality. Viva
Brasil! John
X
Back
to top
Latest
My Feed

See more of what you like on
The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

Personalise

What factors affect your mental health the most right now? (select all that apply)

Lack of purpose or routine (164)
15.49%
Uncertainty around my education (172)
16.24%
Uncertainty around my future career prospects (103)
9.73%
Isolating with family (71)
6.7%
Lack of support system (eg. Teachers, counsellors) (39)
3.68%
Lack of exercise/ability to be outside (92)
8.69%
Loneliness (106)
10.01%
Financial worries (49)
4.63%
Concern about myself or my loved ones getting ill (97)
9.16%
Exposure to negative news/social media (75)
7.08%
Lack of real life entertainment (eg. cinema, gigs, restaurants) (91)
8.59%

Watched Threads