Turn on thread page Beta

universities are crazy to take money from we oversea student ,are they think we are "a ready source of money"? ? ? ? ?

(Original post by Unregistered)
    universities are crazy to take money from we oversea student ,are they think we are "a ready source of money"? ? ? ? ?
    Its totally unfair I know. Maybe they are regulated on the numbers of EU students they can admit every year due to visa/other reasons etc.

What do you expect them to do? Give every international student a free education?

To be honest, if you come up with the money it shows that you have disposable income of sorts.

I suppose it's an expensive way of eliminating timewasters and identifying the foreign students who really want to come to the UK to educate themselves.

Besides, it's the same as any other country - if you're a foreign student - you have to pay your way.

that impossible to give we free education even for your countrys' student in university ,so what you point when you said that sentences?

that impossible to give we free education even for your countrys' student in university ,so what you point when you said that sentences?

To be honest, even if you threw money at the UK education system methinks you'll still not stand a chance of getting in.

Work to be done on your ENGLISH

To be honest, even if you threw money at the UK education system methinks you'll still not stand a chance of getting in.

Work to be done on your ENGLISH
    i don't understand what were you mean.

ReputationRep:
    i don't understand what were you mean.
    Your English is very good, but it is not yet of a brilliant standard, or the standard of english that will be used in university lectures etc.

It wouldn't take you long to improve your english though, as I said it is very, very good.

(Original post by Lord Huntroyde)
    Your English is very good, but it is not yet of a brilliant standard, or the standard of english that will be used in university lectures etc.

It wouldn't take you long to improve your english though, as I said it is very, very good.
    thank you mate,you said that were totally give me a confidence ,but you are right ,now ,my english certitude not standard ,in university could be a big problem,I should work hard.

ReputationRep:
    why do you want to come to the UK to learn? If you want to take advantage of our facilities, then you should pay for it. We (our families) pay taxes and NI throughout our lives so that we can use the education system for a lower price. Overseas students have no right to think they can come here and pay the same amount.

The government are currently funding all that home students don't pay - around three times more than we're paying. If they gave this privilege to international students, home students would have to pay more as a result, which is obviously unfair.

ReputationRep:
    The reason why universities take that amount of money in tuition fees is probably because that's what it actually costs. UK students' tuition fees are kept down to £1100 a year because a lot of funding still comes from the government, and for that reason the government sets them low. However foreign students will obviously not be paid for by the UK government, and their own countries' governments will not want to pay for them either as they would prefer them to support the home higher-education system.

all right,i was wrong ,but can you tell we that why we oversea student to renewal ourself passport should to pay two hundred fifty pounds to home office?is that normal?in canada ,New Zealand,australia,france,and many other countrise they doesn't have if student renewal passport must pay money???

ReputationRep:
    some universities (LSE) perfer overseas students because we PAY

though i think most universities have quotas for international students

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by DanMushMan)
    why do you want to come to the UK to learn? If you want to take advantage of our facilities, then you should pay for it. We (our families) pay taxes and NI throughout our lives so that we can use the education system for a lower price. Overseas students have no right to think they can come here and pay the same amount.
    Interesting, valid point. Although, it begs the question of what you do with British people who've not paid tax?

Actually, I have a very interesting scenerio for you (or anyone else). You've stated that we're essentially being given a subsidy due to having previously paid up, in the form of taxation, therefore by implication, it's conditional. Consider a person who from birth has been unable to work due to disability. This disability is genetic, therefore his folks haven't worked either. Should this person be provided with state subsidy, or not? I think most peoples answer here will be a resounding yes. In which case, you have to really wonder, on what is it conditional exactly? This person hasn't actually paid for this education, however has still received subsidy. What differentiates him from an immigrant/foreign student? Is it that he is British, i.e. a legal entity? Perhaps that he is 'culturally' British?

J.S.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by J.S.)
    Interesting, valid point. Although, it begs the question of what you do with British people who've not paid tax?

Actually, I have a very interesting scenerio for you (or anyone else). You've stated that we're essentially being given a subsidy due to having previously paid up, in the form of taxation, therefore by implication, it's conditional. Consider a person who from birth has been unable to work due to disability. This disability is genetic, therefore his folks haven't worked either. Should this person be provided with state subsidy, or not? I think most peoples answer here will be a resounding yes. In which case, you have to really wonder, on what is it conditional exactly? This person hasn't actually paid for this education, however has still received subsidy. What differentiates him from an immigrant/foreign student? Is it that he is British, i.e. a legal entity? Perhaps that he is 'culturally' British?

J.S.
    Incidentally, I recall having read somewhere that there was a 'libertarian' amongst us. If memory serves me correctly, it was Vienna95. If I am not mistaken, I would imagine that a libertarian would actually deny the disabled person public financial support. It'd be appreciated if any libertarian could either justify that denial of funds, or clarify their beliefs on the matter.

J. S.

ReputationRep:
    Why I don't mind paying up for my UK education:

I'm Norwegian by blood. My step-father is British, and I have spent most of my childhood summers in either New Castle with my (step)granny, or in a small town near Oxford with my "aunt" and "uncle". I grew up in Oslo, and my mother and step-father payed tax to the Norwegian state (50% each on income, I believe) while putting marmite on my toast, feeding me with idea of someday going to Britain to study. The fees for a non-EU European is (for arts subjects) now £7,818 (Oxford university fee rate), and then some £4000 for college fees. The fees for EU students is conciderably lower. However, the Norwegian state will give me about 80,000kr a year towards foreign tutiton, equalent of £6,618, which leavs me with a "real" university fee of £1,200. I beleive it's worth it. PPE is not offered here in Norway, you can study each disipline by itself, but not as one subject. This alone is reason enough for me to go to Britian, and I am fortunate enough to be able to.

ReputationRep:
    Can I just point out that if you were to do a degree, any degree, in a US university, chances are you don't have to a penny. (Or is it cent?) The majority of the students in Harvald have their tuition fees and accomandation paid for, and they also receive certain amount of spending money. Although the people who receive spending money are more likely to be research student, however, universities reputation are directly linked with the ongoing research they are doing. By paying for the tuition fees of both home and overseas students, the university are able to attract more students, and hence finding more students who are capable of making differences. For all I know, overseas research student in the US tend to stay there after getting their degrees. If they are good, then the country would benefit. On the point alone, the UK loses out on a lot of human resources every year, namely potential top scientist.

UK's education market was only opened up recently, whereas the US has been doing this since the mid 70s. I can't give you a figure on how much the UK has lost out...

In the past years, US had 6 Noble prize winners from China. Not saying anything about Albert and his theories...

ReputationRep:
    um, Camford, almost no US colleges are need blind towards international students, meaning how willing you are to pay matters in the admission process, now, that's not fair, is it?

also, the Norwegian government thinks the US school system is crap, and doesn't even offer LOANS to study freshman year in the US. Plus US tution fees are conciderably higher than UK ones.

Cost of going to Harvard:
    Annual Expenses
    Tuition: $26,066
    Room & board: $8,868
    Average book and supply expenses: $2,522
    Required fees: $2,994

Aid Statistics
    Freshmen receiving need-based financial aid: 48% Undergraduate receiving need-based financial aid: 48%
    Average freshman need-based loan: $1,100
    Average freshman need-based grant: $23,750

from http://www.princetonreview.com/colle...1022984&LTID=1

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by J.S.)
    Incidentally, I recall having read somewhere that there was a 'libertarian' amongst us. If memory serves me correctly, it was Vienna95. If I am not mistaken, I would imagine that a libertarian would actually deny the disabled person public financial support. It'd be appreciated if any libertarian could either justify that denial of funds, or clarify their beliefs on the matter.

J. S.
    it depends on how strongly you believe in libertarianism or classical liberalism. my personal view of the matter is that benefits and funds to certain exception groups are necessary. the reduction of the welfare state from those which one deems not necessary would actually allow financial support to be provided to the minority. this would also mean alot of public funding be taken away from domestic students.

Turn on thread page Beta
TSR Support Team

We have a brilliant team of more than 60 Support Team members looking after discussions on The Student Room, helping to make it a fun, safe and useful place to hang out.

Updated: November 6, 2003
Poll
Black Friday: Yay or Nay?
Useful resources

The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Write a reply...
Hide
Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.