Turn on thread page Beta

Ivy League or Oxford? watch

Announcements

ReputationRep:
    Where'd be better for me to pursue a doctoral degree (and I don't want to change school, I just want to stay at a uni until I get the doctorate!). Thx.

ReputationRep:
    you mean stay for both undergrad and postgrad?

ReputationRep:
    yes.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by IB The Great)
    yes.
    but there's no guarantee that you'll be able to stay for postgrad? :confused:

ReputationRep:
    Why is there no guarantee?

ReputationRep:
    Why is there no guarantee?
    You have to apply for graduate study just as you would for undergraduate. If you did undergraduate study at Oxford there is no guarantee that you will be allowed to continue as a graduate student. The most obvious reason being that your grades may not be up to scratch but there maybe other things like lack of funding or better candidates wanting to transfer from other universities.

ReputationRep:
    Where'd be better for me to pursue a doctoral degree (and I don't want to change school, I just want to stay at a uni until I get the doctorate!). Thx.
    I think going to the same uni to do a doctoral degree is a good thing, as you already get used to the environment of the uni. Nevertheless, you still need to meet the requirements of the course. You could always change to another uni to do a doctoral degree though, which might be better than the one you are in.

ReputationRep:
    I think it's much more common to change uni for your doctorate.

ReputationRep:
    I think "one step at a time" is the best phrase here

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by ThePants999)
    I think it's much more common to change uni for your doctorate.
    I agree with you here. Maybe the subject you want to do is better than the uni you go to and stuff like that. For instance, people from ex-poly uni's might want to go to a non ex poly uni to do a postgraduate degree.

ReputationRep:
    You have to learn walk before you can run.

ReputationRep:
    depends which IVY as well... if it was Harvard, Princeton or Yale over Oxford, Id say go for those IVYs.... much better job prospects / opporunities.

but im prolly biased, wanna go to the US u see

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by KingAS)
    depends which IVY as well... if it was Harvard, Princeton or Yale over Oxford, Id say go for those IVYs.... much better job prospects / opporunities.

but im prolly biased, wanna go to the US u see
    I don't think that the job prospects are much better. Employers consider other things too

ReputationRep:
    HYP and Oxbridge are pretty much the same. It would be a strange decision to go to one of the lesser 5 such as Dartmouth if you had the option of Oxford available.

Poll
Do you like exams?
Useful resources
Uni match

Applying to uni?

Our tool will help you find the perfect course

Articles:

Debate and current affairs guidelinesDebate and current affairs wiki

Quick link:

Educational debate unanswered threads

Groups associated with this forum:

View associated groups

The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Write a reply...
Hide
Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.