Turn on thread page Beta

Students Gone Too Soft watch

Announcements

ReputationRep:
    This thread really seems to have gone quite off-topic, and I think a slanging match is a bit unnecessary tbh. I agree that students aren't as proactive (however you want to interpret that) as they used to be, and personally, I don't think this is a good thing. However, I do also think that protests aren't necessarily the right way to go about making a significant change. Sometimes when you work with people (even of opposing views) you get better results.

I'm also a bit baffled as to why this has lead to people feeling the need to a) chat a lot about their personal status, because tbh, I really don't see what statistics of personal possessions has to do with the issue (perhaps I'm being shortsighted - if I am I apologise) and b) why people have felt the need to make assumptions and attack someone for their views, on both sides of the argument.

I think that ideas and points of view on this thread, haven't really been worded or expressed in the best way....?? If you have an opinion, I reckon a least attacking method is often more widely received. I think the topic is a good one to discuss, and it's been enlightening (for me at least) to get some other people's views on it, but that's just it, it should be a discussion, not a competition, nor an excuse to be rude to people who have different views. And I hope very much that none of my previous posts have exhibited this in any way - if they did, that wasn't the intention, and I hope it wasn't perceived otherwise.

I hope all that hasn't offended anyone, it certainly wasn't aimed at anyone in particular, more a few general comments for all to maybe consider?? I like participating in discussion and debate, not in arguments, needless competition nor be in a position where I receive rude comments. Again, that's my opinion, you may not agree, and I hope that I'm not going to get flamed for writing this. I would like to hear a bit more about people's opinions on the political matter, not what blunt banter we can toss backwards and forwards, I just don't really see the point - sorryyy...!?

*looks around nervously*

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by puppy)
    Pretty vulgar thing to post, i guess money doesn't buy you class. Not sure the nouveau riche should be referring to themselves using the royal we either.

"decent students will know that we've worked hard for a basic standard of living"

I'm a "decent" student, you're an idiot
    That is EXACTLY what I thought, he is only nouveau riche, as I said it is only those that have not QUITE made it yet that boast about living in NW3 and driving an entry-level C Class Mercedes. I bet he drives the C200 as well!

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Create)
    This thread really seems to have gone quite off-topic, and I think a slanging match is a bit unnecessary tbh. I agree that students aren't as proactive (however you want to interpret that) as they used to be, and personally, I don't think this is a good thing. However, I do also think that protests aren't necessarily the right way to go about making a significant change. Sometimes when you work with people (even of opposing views) you get better results.

I'm also a bit baffled as to why this has lead to people feeling the need to a) chat a lot about their personal status, because tbh, I really don't see what statistics of personal possessions has to do with the issue (perhaps I'm being shortsighted - if I am I apologise) and b) why people have felt the need to make assumptions and attack someone for their views, on both sides of the argument.

I think that ideas and points of view on this thread, haven't really been worded or expressed in the best way....?? If you have an opinion, I reckon a least attacking method is often more widely received. I think the topic is a good one to discuss, and it's been enlightening (for me at least) to get some other people's views on it, but that's just it, it should be a discussion, not a competition, nor an excuse to be rude to people who have different views. And I hope very much that none of my previous posts have exhibited this in any way - if they did, that wasn't the intention, and I hope it wasn't perceived otherwise.

I hope all that hasn't offended anyone, it certainly wasn't aimed at anyone in particular, more a few general comments for all to maybe consider?? I like participating in discussion and debate, not in arguments, needless competition nor be in a position where I receive rude comments. Again, that's my opinion, you may not agree, and I hope that I'm not going to get flamed for writing this. I would like to hear a bit more about people's opinions on the political matter, not what blunt banter we can toss backwards and forwards, I just don't really see the point - sorryyy...!?

*looks around nervously*
    yeah, i thought this thread was an interesting topic and the guy had a good point, but he seemed to really argumentative. i dont think they are who they say they are tbh.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Lucian Deville)
    We have good quality Sekio and Huggo Boss watches that give out subtle message of quality, without being big, gold and chavish.
    Somewhat tragically, I rather doubt that those are actually typo's.

Been making any "business trips" to East Asia, lately? If so, do bring us back a 'Crohnos' and some 'Kolone' on your next visit; there's a dear.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Create)

*looks around nervously*

Hi C

Excellent observations, and we really appreciate them!!

We feel that the lazy students have been wound up by guilt that our generation did so much for our country. On the other hand, the younger generation, the student of the 21st century is hapy with studying a bit, drinking a lot of lager and then sleeping in his/her warm bed.

Students today are selfish on the whole. We don't blame them as who wants a criminal record for protesting and being falsely arressted and found guilty of attack police/property/etc!!

Importantly, the police can get very heavy handed at times and therefore we understand to an extent why students do no wish to demonstrate to right wrongs!!!

We know that righting wrongs by demonstrations is a hit or miss affair. However, if everyone sat back, and we reiterate, the rich will get richer and no one will give a flying f about those in the middle - Eg, people like us that earn a humble living and on the PAYE tax system.

Whilst the rich ill get richer and those on the dole enjoy themselves 24/7 - hard working, decent, caring, modest and humble people like us will continue to prop up the toffs and the chavs!!!

Your choice friends!!!

We've done our bit and our grandparents sacrificed their lives to keep you lot free. If you have a heart, deman that the taxes raised by your government are used wisely instead of backside licking of Mr Bush and wasting billions in weapons of mass destruction!!

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Ariel4)
    anytime im glad i have entertained you.

Hi

Thanks for being a real sport, bud!!!

We really had a real good laugh at your expense!! We just hope you're not a joke in real life!!

ReputationRep:
    Hi C

Excellent observations, and we really appreciate them!!

We feel that the lazy students have been wound up by guilt that our generation did so much for our country. On the other hand, the younger generation, the student of the 21st century is hapy with studying a bit, drinking a lot of lager and then sleeping in his/her warm bed.

Students today are selfish on the whole. We don't blame them as who wants a criminal record for protesting and being falsely arressted and found guilty of attack police/property/etc!!

Importantly, the police can get very heavy handed at times and therefore we understand to an extent why students do no wish to demonstrate to right wrongs!!!

We know that righting wrongs by demonstrations is a hit or miss affair. However, if everyone sat back, and we reiterate, the rich will get richer and no one will give a flying f about those in the middle - Eg, people like us that earn a humble living and on the PAYE tax system.

Whilst the rich ill get richer and those on the dole enjoy themselves 24/7 - hard working, decent, caring, modest and humble people like us will continue to prop up the toffs and the chavs!!!

Your choice friends!!!

We've done our bit and our grandparents sacrificed their lives to keep you lot free. If you have a heart, deman that the taxes raised by your government are used wisely instead of backside licking of Mr Bush and wasting billions in weapons of mass destruction!!

I totally resent your comments.
    I was the 1st in my family to go to uni and i worked hard to get a good degree and to save to do my masters. Some weeks I was working 40 hours in work and sleeping less than 2 hours a night just to get work done and handed in on time. It simply wasnt feasible for me to go on protests, getting my degree ans masters was the most important thing for me today.

Lets not forget you grew up in the grants generation, a lot of students these days work whilst at uni so dont have the time as people like yourself did.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by frost105)
    I totally resent your comments.
    I was the 1st in my family to go to uni and i worked hard to get a good degree and to save to do my masters. Some weeks I was working 40 hours in work and sleeping less than 2 hours a night just to get work done and handed in on time. It simply wasnt feasible for me to go on protests, getting my degree ans masters was the most important thing for me today.

Lets not forget you grew up in the grants generation, a lot of students these days work whilst at uni so dont have the time as people like yourself did.

Hi bud!!!!

We actually totally resent your rantings here, and yet you have the audacity to claim you a have a 'masters' degree :rolleyes:

If you had the capacity/sense to read our post in the context it’s posted, you would have noted that we referred to most and not all students!!!

You make a good point about student grants in our time; we can’t disagree with the factual facts!!

However, we did obtain an excellent education and also had the time to work, and protest, and actually was pulled in by the police on several demonstrations. We talked our way out of it!!!!

Nest time, read, digest, read again and then only respond in relation to the comments you are referring to, and not imaginary ones!!

We hope we can remain chums!!

ReputationRep:
    Hi bud!!!!

We actually totally resent your rantings here, and yet you have the audacity to claim you a have a 'masters' degree :rolleyes:
    Getting my masters and yes I did read all of your comments so think before you claim. Are you standing over my shoulder watching me as I read?

If you had the capacity/sense to read our post in the context it’s posted, you would have noted that we referred to most and not all students!!!
    So really your comments are just observational and not fact? What about the environmental, amnesty and human rights societies at universities. All actively working and protesting.

However, we did obtain an excellent education and also had the time to work, and protest, and actually was pulled in by the police on several demonstrations. We talked our way out of it!!!!
    Personally i would say getting yourself arrested by the police whilst out on a protest shows stupidity.

ReputationRep:
    What's so great about Hampstead? Bring on SW7, although SW5 and SW6 is good.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by NDGAARONDI)
    What's so great about Hampstead? Bring on SW7, although SW5 and SW6 is good.
    Ron Davies thought it was great.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by timeofyourlife)
    Ron Davies thought it was great.
    Each to their own I guess.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by NDGAARONDI)
    Each to their own I guess.
    NW3 is SW7's *****.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by frost105)
    Getting my masters and yes I did read all of your comments so think before you claim. Are you standing over my shoulder watching me as I read?

So really your comments are just observational and not fact? What about the environmental, amnesty and human rights societies at universities. All actively working and protesting.

Personally i would say getting yourself arrested by the police whilst out on a protest shows stupidity.

Masters - what is your social status after obtaining a degree that is really worthless!!!

Yes, protesting here :cool:

Yes we got arrested, but not charged during protests to protect our community from large organisations taking advantage of us!!! Remeber, we were pulled inwithout good reason as we did nothing wrong and when we made serious threats to sue the police for false arrest, they let us off and apologised.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by timeofyourlife)
    NW3 is SW7's *****.

What ***** you from, *****??

ReputationRep:
    Masters - what is your social status after obtaining a degree that is really worthless!!!
    No degree is worthless if you have the owrk experience to back it up. My masters will qualify me to be a psychologist-not so worthless. As for social standing I would say that y job would have me on a good job so I would be in a particularly good position.

Yes we got arrested, but not charged during protests to protect our community from large organisations taking advantage of us!!! Remeber, we were pulled inwithout good reason as we did nothing wrong and when we made serious threats to sue the police for false arrest, they let us off and apologised.
    Big organisations taking advantaged?! Where were you living. Personally I stand by the police in most situations. I believe that it is rare to be arrested without probable cause.

ReputationRep:

so youre saying that all the work people put into a masters is worthless.
    ok, whatever.

ReputationRep:
    Hi

Thanks for being a real sport, bud!!!

We really had a real good laugh at your expense!! We just hope you're not a joke in real life!!
    like i said, anytime. and dont worry, im not as big a joke as you are.

where do you buy your HUGGO boss stuff from hun? :rolleyes:

ReputationRep:
    What ***** you from, *****??
    Truly, we are in the presence of a God.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Ariel4)
    so youre saying that all the work people put into a masters is worthless.
    ok, whatever.

Incredible!!!

Where did we state the word "ALL"????????????

Put up or shut up - you are only trying to cause trouble and distract posters from our valid point of view!!!

Poll
Brexit: Given the chance now, would you vote leave or remain?
Useful resources

The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Write a reply...
Hide
Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.