The Student Room Group
Students on campus, Nottingham University
University of Nottingham
Nottingham
Visit website

Scroll to see replies

Reply 1
Tbh not much happens in the Economics society. There was like two big events last year that I could think of - 'booze cruise' at the beginning of the year and the Christmas Party. Apart from that, there was nothing else that was important. There's only been one EconSoc event this year - Xmas party. You didn't even have to be a member so it's not much point joining the Economics Society.

I don't think 'people get together every week'. Don't think it's very lively unless you're one of the committee members.
Students on campus, Nottingham University
University of Nottingham
Nottingham
Visit website
Reply 2
geoff_yin
Tbh not much happens in the Economics society. There was like two big events last year that I could think of - 'booze cruise' at the beginning of the year and the Christmas Party. Apart from that, there was nothing else that was important. There's only been one EconSoc event this year - Xmas party. You didn't even have to be a member so it's not much point joining the Economics Society.

I don't think 'people get together every week'. Don't think it's very lively unless you're one of the committee members.

So there anren't any debates etc?
Reply 3
vinsta
So there anren't any debates etc?

Not sure. There are definitely plenty of guest lecturers who come and speak about their relevent Economics field. Just join the facebook group and ask the people on there...
Reply 4
geoff_yin
Not sure. There are definitely plenty of guest lecturers who come and speak about their relevent Economics field. Just join the facebook group and ask the people on there...

Right ok, are you a member of the econ society?
Reply 5
vinsta
Right ok, are you a member of the econ society?

I was last year, but after I gained no benefit from being a member, I decided not to renew my membership...
Reply 6
geoff_yin
I was last year, but after I gained no benefit from being a member, I decided not to renew my membership...

lol ok then.
Reply 7
You could say I gained close to 0 utils from being a member last year! :p:
Reply 8
geoff_yin
You could say I gained close to 0 utils from being a member last year! :p:

lmao.
were u given info about hte society that there would be days when people met up, or weren't u bothereed either way?
Reply 9
vinsta
lmao.
were u given info about hte society that there would be days when people met up, or weren't u bothereed either way?

Nope - no information at all. Just information on when there were guest lecturers giving a talk. Even then I doubt you have to be a member to go to them.
Reply 10
geoff_yin
Nope - no information at all. Just information on when there were guest lecturers giving a talk. Even then I doubt you have to be a member to go to them.

:frown: I was hoping for a lively econ society for debates etc
Reply 11
vinsta
:frown: I was hoping for a lively econ society for debates etc

Well I could be completely wrong. Maybe the society have secret meetings/debates with just the people who are involved with running the society. Have an ask around on facebook. Or maybe wait for some other Notts Economists to shed some light
Reply 12
geoff_yin
Well I could be completely wrong. Maybe the society have secret meetings/debates with just the people who are involved with running the society. Have an ask around on facebook. Or maybe wait for some other Notts Economists to shed some light

There isnt an economics society on facebook, only nottingham trent.
Reply 13
vinsta
There isnt an economics society on facebook, only nottingham trent.

search for 'econsoc'
Reply 14
geoff_yin
search for 'econsoc'

Nope, nothing.
Reply 15
vinsta
Nope, nothing.

It is there. I'm in the group! In the search field, search for 'econsoc'. It's the first result, I've just tried it. Don't add 'nottingham' or anthing like that to the search field.
Reply 16
geoff_yin
It is there. I'm in the group! In the search field, search for 'econsoc'. It's the first result, I've just tried it. Don't add 'nottingham' or anthing like that to the search field.

you mean surya, who wants to be economics president?
Reply 17
vinsta
you mean surya, who wants to be economics president?

Ah now I know why you can't see it. It's because you're not in the Uni of Nottingham network...

I guess you won't be able to investigate EconSoc until you receive your Notts email addess. Sorry!!!
Reply 18
geoff_yin
Ah now I know why you can't see it. It's because you're not in the Uni of Nottingham network...

I guess you won't be able to investigate EconSoc until you receive your Notts email addess. Sorry!!!

damn, oh well, at least we tried.
Reply 19
Yeah I was surprised how little went on in EconSoc actually. Although to be fair by being a member I saved £5 on the booze cruise which was the membership fee so I guess it paid for itself.

Try this direct link in case it lets you on that way: http://www.new.facebook.com/group.php?gid=2221212388

Edit: Actually they have a website, http://www.su-web.nottingham.ac.uk/~econsoc/ [Edit: although it's old and has nothing on it!]

Latest

Trending

Trending