This discussion is closed.
Egan1
Badges: 8
Rep:
?
Report 17 years ago
(Original post by icy)
what about St Catharine's? is it a nice college?
Oxford of Cambridge?
Juwel
Badges: 18
Rep:
?
Report 17 years ago
Oi who's dissing Girton?!?! I'm applying there, out of my own choice. If you don't want Girton then you don't deserve it, so I hope I don't see you if I get in!
Juwel
Rep:
?
Report 17 years ago
(Original post by Egan1)
Oxford of Cambridge?
Well we're discussing Girton, Cambridge. Have a guess.
Elle
Badges: 6
Rep:
?
Report 17 years ago
(Original post by ZJuwelH)
It only takes 2 days..
Egan1
Rep:
?
Report 17 years ago
Appologies. Did is very quick scan of the thread, picked on on St Catherine's and foolishly didn't check it out.
Juwel
Rep:
?
Report 17 years ago
(Original post by Elle)
It only takes 2 days..
What does?
Elle
Badges: 6
Rep:
?
Report 17 years ago
What does?
First class post to Cambridge.. unless your really far away.

You said it took 5 before so you were considering Special Delivery.. just thought I'd mention it
Juwel
Rep:
?
Report 17 years ago
(Original post by Elle)
First class post to Cambridge.. unless your really far away.

You said it took 5 before so you were considering Special Delivery.. just thought I'd mention it
Thanks Elle! Though I said the average post takes 5 days and I ain't risking that average! Well tomorrow me and my mate are sending our forms together by Special Delivery. We'll pay half each!!! Trust me, a brown man to save money like that heeheehee, it's in the skin I reckon!
Hmm that envelope should be insured, I'm applying to Maths and she's going for Medicine. Can't afford to lose those!
Bumblebee3
Rep:
?
Report 17 years ago
Girton seems like a nice community but doesn't feel like part of the uni cause it's so far away - about 2 or 3 miles? To far to stagger home from the Eagle... Girtonians are lovely though so if you get a place, take it and pray you don't have 9:00 lectures!
J.S.
Badges: 7
Rep:
?
Report 17 years ago
oppps due to my lack of ability with IT, you'll need to seperate your views from mine, sorry!
hildabeast
Rep:
?
Report 17 years ago
A: Ignore the prospectus fugures, they are very out of date. No I wasn't including Harris Manchester in that assessment. Over the last couple of years there is one college in particular which has gained a bad financial reputation and has attracted a fewer number of first preferences than St Hilda's, and I'm sure you will be aware which college I am alluding to.

B: No I'm not saying that it is just because there is uncertainty about the future of the college. What I am saying is that the college is not promoting itself as well as it could be doing because it is in turmoil about its own future and is in a bad financial situation, not because of its single sex status (as the GB would have us believe) but because the SCR are too afraid to challenge the university in its discriminatory employment policy.

x-x-x-x-x-x-x-x-x-x-x-x-x-x-x-x-x-x-x-x-x-x-x-x-x-x-x-x-x-x-x
hildabeast
Rep:
?
Report 17 years ago
Yes but women from every background form such a large group which is so obviously disadvantaged in virtually every way at Oxbridge, unlike ethnic minorities as a whole which is a much more hazy area - what is an ethnic minority? Which specific groups are we talking about? How exactly do you tailor education and an academic environment to suit ethnic minorities? I do not see women's colleges as positive discrimination. They are not a positive step which is being taken to tackle disadvantages against a minority group as the colleges already exist, and even whilst they do the ratios of men to women are poor. Anyway, women are not a minority group, they are in fact a majority group in society as a whole (which is certainly not reflected at Oxbridge), and I believe that discrimination on the basis of gender is therefore of more immediate concern. If single sex colleges were taken away this would be a negative step against the provision of women's education at Oxbridge, as previous evidence suggests that the same number of women would not be absorbed into the rest of the university. It is well-known around Oxford that there are certain academics at certain colleges who still maintain a misogynist attitude towards female students as well as other academics, and women deserve to have an avenue through which they can be protected from that. Yes, ethnic minorities have faced discrimination but I do not believe that it is as institutionalised as it once was because no university wishes to be branded racist, and so great care is taken to ensure that no racism occurs. Also at the end of the day two wrongs do not make a right. Yes, ethnic minorities are discriminated against but women are too, and the existence of women's colleges acts to protect these rights. To take that away before there is proven full equality of the sexes would be a huge blow to women's education at Oxbridge.

x-x-x-x-x-x-x-x-x-x-x-x-x-x-x-x-x-x-x-x-x-x-x-x-x-x-x-x
J.S.
Rep:
?
Report 17 years ago
(Original post by hildabeast)
Yes but women from every background form such a large group which is so obviously disadvantaged in virtually every way at Oxbridge, unlike ethnic minorities as a whole which is a much more hazy area - what is an ethnic minority? Which specific groups are we talking about? How exactly do you tailor education and an academic environment to suit ethnic minorities?

-The needs of women are just as diverse as the ethnic minorities. As for underachievement, it's clear cut, Indians/Chinese overachieve. Whereas, Bengali, Pakistani and Afro-carbibean's underachieve.

I do not see women's colleges as positive discrimination. They are not a positive step which is being taken to tackle disadvantages against a minority group as the colleges already exist, and even whilst they do the ratios of men to women are poor. Anyway, women are not a minority group, they are in fact a majority group in society as a whole (which is certainly not reflected at Oxbridge), and I believe that discrimination on the basis of gender is therefore of more immediate concern.

-Hmm...I don't agree with adjusting the admissions policies to cater for those disadvantaged. We could be here for a very long time discussing the needs of other groups that are just as 'obviously' discriminated against.

If single sex colleges were taken away this would be a negative step against the provision of women's education at Oxbridge, as previous evidence suggests that the same number of women would not be absorbed into the rest of the university. It is well-known around Oxford that there are certain academics at certain colleges who still maintain a misogynist attitude towards female students as well as other academics, and women deserve to have an avenue through which they can be protected from that.

-More women ought to be encouraged to apply, they do after all get better A level results.

Yes, ethnic minorities have faced discrimination but I do not believe that it is as institutionalised as it once was because no university wishes to be branded racist, and so great care is taken to ensure that no racism occurs.

-I very much doubt that any university would wish to be branded sexist, or even have a preference for that tag, over racist.

Also at the end of the day two wrongs do not make a right. Yes, ethnic minorities are discriminated against but women are too, and the existence of women's colleges acts to protect these rights. To take that away before there is proven full equality of the sexes would be a huge blow to women's education at Oxbridge.

You are saying figures would decrease, and that's because admissions people elsewhere are sexist? I would be interested in seeing statistics on this. For instance, are women more likely to be rejected when applying to Oxbridge? It could simply be that less women apply, and therefore less are accepted. Would be interesting if research, by means of regression analysis could equalise for differences in grades, and then correlate that with the acceptance rate for men/women.

:P:P:P:P:P
Badges: 0
Rep:
?
Report 17 years ago
(Original post by hildabeast)
Yes but women from every background form such a large group which is so obviously disadvantaged in virtually every way at Oxbridge, unlike ethnic minorities as a whole which is a much more hazy area - what is an ethnic minority? Which specific groups are we talking about? How exactly do you tailor education and an academic environment to suit ethnic minorities? I do not see women's colleges as positive discrimination. They are not a positive step which is being taken to tackle disadvantages against a minority group as the colleges already exist, and even whilst they do the ratios of men to women are poor. Anyway, women are not a minority group, they are in fact a majority group in society as a whole (which is certainly not reflected at Oxbridge), and I believe that discrimination on the basis of gender is therefore of more immediate concern. If single sex colleges were taken away this would be a negative step against the provision of women's education at Oxbridge, as previous evidence suggests that the same number of women would not be absorbed into the rest of the university. It is well-known around Oxford that there are certain academics at certain colleges who still maintain a misogynist attitude towards female students as well as other academics, and women deserve to have an avenue through which they can be protected from that. Yes, ethnic minorities have faced discrimination but I do not believe that it is as institutionalised as it once was because no university wishes to be branded racist, and so great care is taken to ensure that no racism occurs. Also at the end of the day two wrongs do not make a right. Yes, ethnic minorities are discriminated against but women are too, and the existence of women's colleges acts to protect these rights. To take that away before there is proven full equality of the sexes would be a huge blow to women's education at Oxbridge.

Whats that got to do with girton?
grace
Badges: 15
Rep:
?
Report 17 years ago
i'm applying for girton by choice as well! i know it's a little distance from the town, but u can always move to wolfson court in the second year can't u? It just appealed to me because the people there just seemed so friendly...it was a tough choice for me because i really liked Clare as well, but in the end, when i've visited Girton it has just felt so open and caring, whereas at clare i hardly spoke to a single human being and when i did i was made to feel like i was a nuisance (though i probably am...lol)
I dunno, i reckon girton's great and hope i get in! Is anyone else applying to do English there? My interview's on the 10 dec...
armatillian
Report 17 years ago
(Original post by grace)
i'm applying for girton by choice as well! i know it's a little distance from the town, but u can always move to wolfson court in the second year can't u? It just appealed to me because the people there just seemed so friendly...it was a tough choice for me because i really liked Clare as well, but in the end, when i've visited Girton it has just felt so open and caring, whereas at clare i hardly spoke to a single human being and when i did i was made to feel like i was a nuisance (though i probably am...lol)
I dunno, i reckon girton's great and hope i get in! Is anyone else applying to do English there? My interview's on the 10 dec...
i got my interview there on the 10th as well (4 biological sciences)

doesnt it piss u off that they dont give u ure exact interview times - means i cant book any kinda travel home cos i dont no when ill finish grrrr!!!!!
kebab22
Rep:
?
Report 17 years ago
yeah ive got a place at girton to study philosophy next year. im a bit apprehensive, but i figured that i live in london now and to go out into cental london i gotta travel furhter than two miles os i suppose it'll be cool.

spose for cambridge its all about the course
Tek
Rep:
?
Report 17 years ago
(Original post by :P:P:P:P:P)
Whats that got to do with girton?
No idea.

But seeing as we're on the subject, some tutors at Oxford have already shown themselves to be anti Israeli, Hildabeast, so how about a college for Jews only? That would fit in with your sexism argument, no?

Oh, and out of interest (being a naive 16 year old), what was that college to which you were alluding?
X
Back
to top
Latest
My Feed

See more of what you like on
The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

Personalise

Which of these would you use to help with making uni decisions?

Webinars (71)
12.16%
Virtual campus tours/open days (142)
24.32%
Live streaming events (51)
8.73%
Online AMAs/guest lectures (55)
9.42%
A uni comparison tool (136)
23.29%
An in-person event when available (129)
22.09%