Turn on thread page Beta

Leeds vs Manchester watch

Announcements

ReputationRep:
    Hey guys,

I am from the US and am thinking about studying in Leeds or Manchester.

But I keep hearing Manchester is a grimy, industrial city with very few pedestrianized areas. Additionally, I'm told I need to get ready for some occasional harassment in Northern England because I am of oriental descent.

What's it like to live in these two cities? I am hoping to live in a lively city with good nightlife, "pretty" architecture, and a compact, pedestrian friendly city center.

Thanks.

ReputationRep:
    welcome to :tsr:

u may want to post this in the university sub section...its in the wrong place.

more people will view it there

ReputationRep:
    Welcome to TSR.

ReputationRep:
    Industrial? Erm maybe trafford park but thats miles away. It is certainly not grimey my site is very out od date now, and its a lot more pretty now than it was when these pictures were taken but you can see lots of buildings

http://www.robertson-i.co.uk/manchester.asp

You really need to visit the two cities before deciding, Manchester is less densly populated than Leeds and is nearer to countryside (I can supply pics of the countryside just 3.5 miles from the university if required).

Manchester has a huge clubbing and alternative music scene.

The city centre is also very compact especialy compared to London, but becuase there are so many bars and clubs you won;t find them all next to each other.

ReputationRep:
    I saw your website and it looks nice.

ReputationRep:
    I studied in Manchester for a time and loved it. It really does feel like a student city and the merger between UMIST and Manchester last October now mean it houses the largest university in the UK alongside Manchester Met and Salford. The city is quite spread out and if you live in the student village (Fallowfield) you have a bit of a trek to get to and from Uni.

Leeds on the otherhand is very compact and now the most popular university in the country. The city is very much like Manchester and has a great atmosphere.

You'll be a winner whatever city you choose - just ignore the myths about them being 'industrial' - both cities are constantly being redeveloped and modernised and are hugely popular.

ReputationRep:
    what you've heard is pretty rubbish, leeds and manchester are very similar and very nice but manchester's on a larger scale i suppose

ReputationRep:
    manchester is an amazing city...so much to do! i've lived here all my life and i love it, but im still moving away for uni (purely to experience a new city) but i would certainly reccommned manchester to anyone!

ReputationRep:
    I liked leeds more as a city. The raving scene at manchester maybe better, but it isnt all about raving/clubbing. I wasn't feeling the busy roads at manchester and heavily populated area. With reputation, manchester generally has a better reputation.

ReputationRep:
    Manchester! it's big, fun, great for clubbing .. loads of shops and public transport.

ReputationRep:
    leeds

ReputationRep:
    I'd say Leeds...I don't like the university buildings in Manchester and whilst the city is cool I like the city of Leeds better.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by rachplatt)
    I'd say Leeds...I don't like the university buildings in Manchester and whilst the city is cool I like the city of Leeds better.
    yeh i didnt like the uni buildings either, however at the end of the day the buildings you study in really doesnt matter and it'd be thick to reject some where based on the buildings. Manchester does seem congested and very busy (some people like that sort of thing i.e. big city), however Leeds will also be similar in this aspect. However if your looking for the better uni in terms of reputation, Manchester wins hands down.

ReputationRep:
    manchester uni is amazing...

ReputationRep:
    One thing people forget the university is located virtualy in the city centre, its the biggest city centre after London in the UK, it makes places like Liverpool and Edinburgh seem tiny, therefore its going to be busy.

The city centre is probably not where you're going to be living, most students live in Fallowfield, although this place is still a lot of hussle and buffle.

Poll
Were you ever put in isolation at school?
Useful resources
Uni match

Applying to uni?

Our tool will help you find the perfect course

Articles:

Debate and current affairs guidelinesDebate and current affairs wiki

Quick link:

Educational debate unanswered threads

Groups associated with this forum:

View associated groups

The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Write a reply...
Hide
Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.