The Student Room Group
University College London, University of London
University College London
London

Ask a Current UCL Student: The Official Thread

Scroll to see replies

Reply 2560
Original post by Lollyage
You guys are probably getting a lot of these questions around this time of year, but do you know anyone who missed their offer by a grade and still got in? Or if you have any personal experience of this?

I've applied for linguistics and have an AAB offer btw, might end up getting ABB/A*BB if psychology goes badly.

I got into Linguistics even though I missed my offer. I already had a B in French and they wanted AA in maths, physics or English language. In the end I got ABB in those three (the A was in English language), and I was 5 marks off an A in maths. Bear in mind that I also got an A in critical thinking and an A in my extended project which was English language related, so those factors may have helped me. This was also 2 years ago, no idea what applications are like now, but it is possible :smile:

Also they just updated my offer on Track in the morning, I didn't have to ring and beg or anything. Because of this I assumed I got my grades, didn't find out until I went into college later to collect my results that I hadn't!
University College London, University of London
University College London
London
Original post by ily_em
I got into Linguistics even though I missed my offer. I already had a B in French and they wanted AA in maths, physics or English language. In the end I got ABB in those three (the A was in English language), and I was 5 marks off an A in maths. Bear in mind that I also got an A in critical thinking and an A in my extended project which was English language related, so those factors may have helped me. This was also 2 years ago, no idea what applications are like now, but it is possible :smile:

Also they just updated my offer on Track in the morning, I didn't have to ring and beg or anything. Because of this I assumed I got my grades, didn't find out until I went into college later to collect my results that I hadn't!

Thanks, that's pretty reassuring :smile: I also have an A in my EPQ and I'm on target for an A* in English, both of which will probably help me if I miss out on the A in psychology by a few marks, but obviously I can't exactly rely on that :tongue:

So how's the linguistics course? Are you enjoying it? :smile:
Reply 2562
Original post by AnnaWintour
Here is the UCL prospectus concerning financial matters (and information about finding a job):
http://www.ucl.ac.uk/admission/transitions/pdfs/living-in-london_2008.pdf

This is part of text on UCL's website:
Estimates of how much money you will need may vary considerably, as the lifestyles and circumstances of individual students differ. For a single, graduate student studying for a calendar year, an estimated average would be in the region of £220 per week. This should be considered only as a guide; some students may find they can live within this allowance, yet others may find it insufficient to meet their expectations.

If you applied for IMESS program, here is a link to find out about costs of living:
http://www.imess.eu/_5living.php

I am interested in working also, however, I still don't know the outcome of my application :smile:

I hope I helped you :smile:

Thanks AnnaWintour !

But, I was wondering if we have to pay for the University of London exams we take.

And 1000 pounds per month seems rather high ! :O
Hi,
does anyone know if there is a reading week for law in Nov?
All I can find on the UCL website is that there is a reading week for those faculties which have one. Can't find info confirming that Law does.
Original post by GStevens
Hi,
does anyone know if there is a reading week for law in Nov?
All I can find on the UCL website is that there is a reading week for those faculties which have one. Can't find info confirming that Law does.

Yep, there is :smile:
Hello,

Regardless of bad GCSEs , you always have a chance if you can recover with good A levels. However, I assume you are only taking 3 AS levels. On the UCL entry requirements for BSc Computer Science, they seem to require 4 AS levels, and 3 A2 levels. Therefore you would have to take on a extra AS level in your final year of school. For your 3 A2 Levels, you would need A*AA, which may be attainable, so it really depends on your results in August, if you come close to these grades. The UCL Computer Science course is extremely competitive so your results have to be also.

Original post by MrBlueMo0n
I'm applying to UCL for CS.

I have pretty bad GCSEs: I've been saying 1 A*, 4 As, 4 Bs and 1 C. But maybe it should be 1 A*, 3 As, 3 Bs, 1 C, 1 Distinction and 1 Merit.

My AS level choices are maths, physics and business. I've got an easy A in maths. I think a B in physics, but I'd be very happy with an A. I have no idea about business. Next year I'll carry on all 3 to A2. I'll also pick up AS further maths in which I can get another A.

Obviously I'm not predicted anything yet. But I'll know after summer. So my problem is that I'm sort of a step behind everyone else. I can end up on the same page. But most others have good GCSEs and better AS levels.

Do I even have a chance at UCL?
Original post by Presenttime
Hello,

Regardless of bad GCSEs , you always have a chance if you can recover with good A levels. However, I assume you are only taking 3 AS levels. On the UCL entry requirements for BSc Computer Science, they seem to require 4 AS levels, and 3 A2 levels. Therefore you would have to take on a extra AS level in your final year of school. For your 3 A2 Levels, you would need A*AA, which may be attainable, so it really depends on your results in August, if you come close to these grades. The UCL Computer Science course is extremely competitive so your results have to be also.

I'm actually studying D1 right now, on my own. I'll be in some FP1 lessons when we get back after summer. And then I have a choice, which will probably be D2. I can get an A in AS further quite comfortably, I believe.

For 3 A2s, they'll be maths, physics and business. I'm going to go for an A* in maths, but if it all fails then I know I should be able to get an A there.

If I try really hard in physics, I can get an A hopefully, but I don't think my AS grade will reflect that (the first problem).

For business, well, I've no idea! I just don't. That's the second problem. I can work hard and get A*A or AA, but business is so unreliable! So I'm likely not to get a third A.

I know I'd have little chance if I got AABa, but what if I got A*ABa?
Reply 2567
Can someone please give me an idea about how lenient UCL are for people who miss their offers? My offer is AAA for Computer Science, and say if I get AAB/A*A*B, does it mean I have a high chance of being rejected? I am an international student too, if it makes any difference..
I think it will be worth doing an application if you think you can get close to A*AA, and pass in further maths. Even if you get below these grades, you might be able to improve, and with a excellent personal statement you might get an offer. Just make sure you apply to some other universities that have offer requirements that are on a par with your current A level performance, and perhaps one which is below. If you miss your offer, sometimes they can be flexible, although it is unlikely they will accept you.

I'm actually studying D1 right now, on my own. I'll be in some FP1 lessons when we get back after summer. And then I have a choice, which will probably be D2. I can get an A in AS further quite comfortably, I believe.

For 3 A2s, they'll be maths, physics and business. I'm going to go for an A* in maths, but if it all fails then I know I should be able to get an A there.

If I try really hard in physics, I can get an A hopefully, but I don't think my AS grade will reflect that (the first problem).

For business, well, I've no idea! I just don't. That's the second problem. I can work hard and get A*A or AA, but business is so unreliable! So I'm likely not to get a third A.

I know I'd have little chance if I got AABa, but what if I got A*ABa?
OK. I've got a couple of universities in mind. My 'lowest' would be Queen Mary, and the entry requirements on their site are in UCAS points, 340 for a MSci. I can get that. Imperial would be the 'highest', offers, like UCL would be A*AA.

I've been doing a lot of research into personal statements, I know that this should be what people do, but all my friends say that it's in a few months. I've been finding ways of explicitly explaining why I find computer science interesting, which I believe is the most important part of a PS - 'why'.

I can also solve a Rubik's cube. I know it's almost like I'm trying to 'prove' to YOU now that I'm good enough to be made an offer, but I'm just laying some basic background knowledge about me, including this PS statement, just to get a better and more realistic idea from you.

I also don't really have any proper programming knowledge or experience. I've already done some hardware work experience. But I'll hopefully be learning some C++ before I send in my application. Finally, I've ordered a book called 'The Turing Omnibus', because through my research I've found that in order to show your interest well, you need to read books.

So that's all well. But I really need to know the bottom line about ending with my third A level as a B. If I got an A, or, well I mean, had confidence right now that I'd be getting an A, then I'd not need yours or anyone else's help. I feel this is what will tip it for me, A or B...

I think it will be worth doing an application if you think you can get close to A*AA, and pass in further maths. Even if you get below these grades, you might be able to improve, and with a excellent personal statement you might get an offer. Just make sure you apply to some other universities that have offer requirements that are on a par with your current A level performance, and perhaps one which is below. If you miss your offer, sometimes they can be flexible, although it is unlikely they will accept you.
Reply 2570
Hello. Does anyone have any information regardless IMESS scholarship procedure?
On May 22, I have been told that the decisions will be available on late May/early June, however still no information.
And will I be notified in case of negative outcome?
Original post by Hovgoro
Hello. Does anyone have any information regardless IMESS scholarship procedure?
On May 22, I have been told that the decisions will be available on late May/early June, however still no information.
And will I be notified in case of negative outcome?

You are lucky (I suppose). I don't even have an information regardless my IMESS course application.
Reply 2572
Original post by AnnaWintour
You are lucky (I suppose). I don't even have an information regardless my IMESS course application.

However I will appreciate to hear from them regarding IMESS scholarship as well.
OK. I've got a couple of universities in mind. My 'lowest' would be Queen Mary, and the entry requirements on their site are in UCAS points, 340 for a MSci. I can get that. Imperial would be the 'highest', offers, like UCL would be A*AA.

I've been doing a lot of research into personal statements, I know that this should be what people do, but all my friends say that it's in a few months. I've been finding ways of explicitly explaining why I find computer science interesting, which I believe is the most important part of a PS - 'why'.

I can also solve a Rubik's cube. I know it's almost like I'm trying to 'prove' to YOU now that I'm good enough to be made an offer, but I'm just laying some basic background knowledge about me, including this PS statement, just to get a better and more realistic idea from you.

I also don't really have any proper programming knowledge or experience. I've already done some hardware work experience. But I'll hopefully be learning some C++ before I send in my application. Finally, I've ordered a book called 'The Turing Omnibus', because through my research I've found that in order to show your interest well, you need to read books.

So that's all well. But I really need to know the bottom line about ending with my third A level as a B. If I got an A, or, well I mean, had confidence right now that I'd be getting an A, then I'd not need yours or anyone else's help. I feel this is what will tip it for me, A or B...

That sounds good. Yes the personal statement is about your motivation for applying, also strongly emphasise why you think you would be a good computer scientist! You could also email the UCL computer science department and ask whether their offer requirement is strict. Finally I know that coursera.org are running a computer science 101 module sometime which will hopefully be available before you submit your application, have a look at it ! (the courses are free and competely online, and the computer science one is for complete beginners).
That sounds good. Yes the personal statement is about your motivation for applying, also strongly emphasise why you think you would be a good computer scientist! You could also email the UCL computer science department and ask whether their offer requirement is strict. Finally I know that coursera.org are running a computer science 101 module sometime which will hopefully be available before you submit your application, have a look at it ! (the courses are free and competely online, and the computer science one is for complete beginners).

Right, I've been on the site and watched the YouTube video, but I can't find any others. I signed up and all. Is it not ready yet? I should think it is, because that video was made last year in November.
Right, I've been on the site and watched the YouTube video, but I can't find any others. I signed up and all. Is it not ready yet? I should think it is, because that video was made last year in November.

Nope its definitely not ready until a date is published, hope its soon, keep checking ...
Nope its definitely not ready until a date is published, hope its soon, keep checking ...

So it should be ready during summer? Before application time?

Otherwise, or even just for the time being, are there any other places I can do this?
Reply 2577
Does anyone know whether the one will be notified in case of negative outcome for scholarship?
Original post by Hovgoro
Does anyone know whether the one will be notified in case of negative outcome for scholarship?

Depends on the scholarship I believe.
Original post by Hovgoro

Of course 'cos there are students that will differ their offer in case they don't get scholarship.

Quick Reply

Latest