The Student Room Group
University College London, University of London
University College London
London

Ask a Current UCL Student: The Official Thread

Scroll to see replies

I have a few questions to existing students

What is Computer Science BSc like in UCL?
Is teaching on a good level?
I've heard feedback tends to be late, is that true?

Is the department ok? Some people said it is in a pretty bad condition and has rats
University College London, University of London
University College London
London
Original post by s1004
Is a Ramsay hall studio catered or not? Because the website said it is but then accommodation portal didn't give the option of ensuite catered for UCL halls.

I think it has something like only 2 studios. Studios have their own kitchens so it would make sense for the studio to be ensuite but self-catered, or perhaps they are already full seeing as there are so few of them
Can someone reply to me ASAP i am applying for accomodation at UCL and mentioning my preference for John Adams hall due to it being so close to campus and ensuite. However, I want a sociable flat lol so anyone got any reviews? HELP
How did you find the Bsc Biomedical Science course?
I got a conditional offer for biomed in UCL, but there's just so many mixed reviews and stuff about the college that makes it really difficult for me to decide whether I want to go or not.

Was wondering how you found the course, the teaching/staff/facilities? Did you move elsewhere for your masters/PhD? Did you stay? if so, why?
Does anyone know if The Hanger is open or will be opening soon? My friend is in London next week and I would love her to pick up a sweatshirt. Thanks in advance!
If my offer is A*AA and I achieve A*A*B in my a levels would I still be let on the course? (Psychology Bsc undergrad)
Original post by Anonymous
If my offer is A*AA and I achieve A*A*B in my a levels would I still be let on the course? (Psychology Bsc undergrad)

It’s unlikely
Original post by Anonymous

It's really hard to say because it there's so many factors. It's an oversubscribed course but with the effects of COVID, we don't know how many people will miss their grades this year. It wouldn't be unheard of to get in with those grades so keep working hard
Is it possible to use catering option from one the the hallls without staying in that hall? More specifaically if I stay at Ian Baker, can I make use of catering at Ramsey for example?
Original post by Anonymous#12345
Is it possible to use catering option from one the the hallls without staying in that hall? More specifaically if I stay at Ian Baker, can I make use of catering at Ramsey for example?

Typically no, but you can always call Ramsay and double check
Original post by lomqer
I have a few questions to existing students

What is Computer Science BSc like in UCL?
Is teaching on a good level?
I've heard feedback tends to be late, is that true?

Is the department ok? Some people said it is in a pretty bad condition and has rats

I don't study computer science but the feedback for some module assessments were slow/late (I am in faculty of life sciences).
I heard that one of my friend found ants and my other friend found a rat but this is rare.
Original post by SaltieBear
How did you find the Bsc Biomedical Science course?
I got a conditional offer for biomed in UCL, but there's just so many mixed reviews and stuff about the college that makes it really difficult for me to decide whether I want to go or not.

Was wondering how you found the course, the teaching/staff/facilities? Did you move elsewhere for your masters/PhD? Did you stay? if so, why?

I am in 2nd year of biomedical sciences and the teaching and the staff are decent. They are supportive and fairly interactive. I didn't like some of the lecturers (bc of their teaching style/notes) but i don't think it's the course problem. The lab is pretty great. The lectures sometimes take place in bad environments like in a hotel ballroom with round tables or in a big lecture theatre with no table/board (but generally okay e.g. the place have multiple big screens). One thing i didn't expect was there are so many essay type writing assessments to do which i didn't like so much. A good thing about biomedical sciences in ucl is they provide wide range of modules with great flexibility of module choices. When i wanted to do organs and system/stream 1 but wanted to try some neuroscience out, i was able to choose the stream 1 and include some neuroscience modules without having to do stream 2 (which is neuroscience focused). Overall, I think my experience in biomed in ucl was good.
Just had a few questions for current mech engineering students at ucl .first of all what would do u think of the course in general ?
Also describe the first year workload and how difficult the first year really is. Lastly is it constant revision in the first year or is it more laid back ?
Thanks
EEE Students please respond. Can any current students give their experience with UCL Elec tonic and Electronic Engineering . Do you enjoy the course?How good is the teaching? Or anything people going to do the course should now. Thanks if you reply.
Sorry if its already been asked, but I’m potentially studying MSc crime and forensic sciences but wanted to know how feedback worked at the university?

I’m someone that thrives on good support from lecturers or ‘boost’ programmes and in my undergraduate my feedback was a few vague words and our ‘academic upgrade’ service was awful towards the sciences.

How would you say the feedback was during your course or the University’s academic services etc
Hello,Can anyone please clarify about how to apply to postgraduate degree of Computer Science at UCL with a Computer science degree if someone doesnt get into their Meng Computer Science degree.As I can see from their website Msc CS deg asks not to have CS degree.Thanks
Original post by paytontayylor
Sorry if its already been asked, but I’m potentially studying MSc crime and forensic sciences but wanted to know how feedback worked at the university?

I’m someone that thrives on good support from lecturers or ‘boost’ programmes and in my undergraduate my feedback was a few vague words and our ‘academic upgrade’ service was awful towards the sciences.

How would you say the feedback was during your course or the University’s academic services etc

Hey, I'd say this is mixed depending on the department, and even between lecturers. On the whole I found the feedback detailed and useful (BSc), but I did have a couple that were no help at all.
Academic services were always available and my course booked them to come and see our whole cohort a couple of times. I don't find their services particularly useful but I know some people did so I guess it depends what you're after from them.
Has anyone gotten into UCL after failing to meet all of the conditions of their offer? I am an international student who is two AP scores short of the qualifications. I have the marks for my insurance uni. Is that my destiny or is there a chance UCL will still admit me?
Any architecture students here? Went to UCL for undergrad and now returning for masters. Im worried about the whole studio situation, do you think we’ll go back to being able to access studio most of the time if not, all?
Reply 5659
Hello, guys! I've been allocated a single room in Ramsay hall for this academic year. I'm coming from an Amber list country and haven't been vaccinated. So I have to self-isolate for 10 days (5 days with Test to Release) upon arrival. UCL has stated that students will be able to self-isolate in their designated halls. Yet such students aren't allowed to use any of the communal facilities including kitchens. In this case, are these students supposed to survive for more than a week on pre-made meals from third-party delivery?

Are there any students who went through this last year? If so, can you share your experience with me, please.

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending