The Student Room Group
University College London, University of London
University College London
London

Ask a Current UCL Student: The Official Thread

Scroll to see replies

dumbdunc
I'm first year History and I had no interview. The email questionnaire was the last real part of the application process for me last year. Then there was a post-offer departmental open day in January.

Things may have changed though.

Thanks for the heads up! :smile: When did you get your offer? Early Jan? Mid Jan? :biggrin: Sorry, it's just that the wait is really killing me.
University College London, University of London
University College London
London
Reply 781
cuddlebuggy
Thanks for the heads up! :smile: When did you get your offer? Early Jan? Mid Jan? :biggrin: Sorry, it's just that the wait is really killing me.

I got it late November early Deccember I think. I just know I was in the car driving to my first Cambridge interview which would have been around then. Then I had a post offer open day in January.
Reply 782
yeah similar for me, it was when i was at oxford for interviews that my offers from ucl came in.
dumbdunc
I got it late November early Deccember I think. I just know I was in the car driving to my first Cambridge interview which would have been around then. Then I had a post offer open day in January.

Noémie
yeah similar for me, it was when i was at oxford for interviews that my offers from ucl came in.

Haha thank you. I'll be checking my inbox quite obsessively beginning late Nov then. :smile:
Reply 784
Dumb Economist
I received Economics offer subjected to attending an open day. The question is this open day only for applicants or folks can join?

There's always a few parents around on these, nobody minds them, but usually most ppl arrive on their own.
pure_joy
There's always a few parents around on these, nobody minds them, but usually most ppl arrive on their own.

Thks for clearing it up :smile:
Reply 786
yeah i'd really avoid bringing your parents, you're almost a university student for goodness sakes, you can deal with it on your own and your parents should trust you to deal with it on your own. i find it weird and i don't get a good impression of the student if they bring their parents, particuarly if they're from nearby. if they were international or from , say, the scottish highlands, i could see it MAYBE being an idea, MAYBE. but no. don't do it.
Noémie
yeah i'd really avoid bringing your parents, you're almost a university student for goodness sakes, you can deal with it on your own and your parents should trust you to deal with it on your own. i find it weird and i don't get a good impression of the student if they bring their parents, particuarly if they're from nearby. if they were international or from , say, the scottish highlands, i could see it MAYBE being an idea, MAYBE. but no. don't do it.

You have a such one sided thought process. This is not wether a university student can manage things on his own or not. This is about involving YOUR family to be part of your decison making process and giving them pleasure of doing so. Especially when you starting a new phase in your life. I guess some people needs growing up to do.
I would say that UCL was much less parent friendly than other universities I visited.
The other ones I applied for specifically invited parents, and had activities for them.
At UCL there was none of this - which I do actually prefer... the one place that my parents couldn't of interfered with!
hi ucl ppl :smile:
what i would do to be in your shoes!:yep:
i jus applied for medicinal chemistry , is it competitive ? for AS I had bbb in Maths, Bio, Chem and a d in general studies. was so close To As . My predicted are AAA and i am retakin physics. do i have a chance academically?
:confused:
Maths people at UCL...how`s the course, other students? I applied for Maths with Econ :biggrin:
Reply 791
To all people at UCL!

How are you finding your course (if you do English)? Also - I've heard the campus is crap - there is no sense of community and generally speaking its just not a very pleasant or happy place to be at. My teacher also says the professors are very up themselves and think they are doing you a massive favour by letting you in.

I'm worried about all the less than positive things I hear about the place.
Reply 792
that is absolute ********! you've been reading the i don't like ucl thread haven't you :P
the campus is tiny, compared to other london unis! well not royal holloway, tha'ts smaller. but for the middle of london, it's awesome!
there is definitely a community feel, i know i've felt it. i suppose it's more difficult to see that if you live at home, maybe. maybe that's where that rumour has come from? the professors have never ever been up themselves to me, actually quite the opposite. i'm a right idiot tbh but they still love me :smile:
In what way is there not a sense of community? How would you detect such a thing? It all seems in proper working order from here, y'know. We have our Waterstone's and our Gordon Sq. and the throng outside the union and so on and so forth. Gower Street, admittedly, has to be one of the hardest roads to cross of all time but it's all rather lovely and there's always stuff going on on the quad, not that I ever do anything but walk across it, but it's very "UCL"...

As for your teacher, I don't know how many English professors they know, and I don't know any, but I have never come across a professor or any member of staff who was like that. To be honest your teacher sounds a bit full of it.
Urkel
This may be a general unviersity thing, but I am applying to UCL and curious . . .

Are you allowed to redo or resit exams/practicals/essays that make up your grade?

Weird question, I know. :p:

Essays and Practicals? No. Exams, only if you fail the year, and that would take some convincing on your part.

Funnily enough, someone just got thrown out of the life sciences faculty for googling answers during a supervised test in a computer cluster. What an idiot...
The Mute
Essays and Practicals? No. Exams, only if you fail the year, and that would take some convincing on your part.

Funnily enough, someone just got thrown out of the life sciences faculty for googling answers during a supervised test in a computer cluster. What an idiot...

I heard that, was it in last weeks biochem exams?
I know we got warned more than usual not to do it!
Urkel
This may be a general unviersity thing, but I am applying to UCL and curious . . .

Are you allowed to redo or resit exams/practicals/essays that make up your grade?

Weird question, I know. :p:

As mute says, not for practicals and essays, but the rules are different for each department.

For example, these are the chemistry rules:

"Referral
If an examination is narrowly failed, then the examiners may decide to refer you for further assessment, (usually written work followed by an oral examination with two Examiners) before the start of the new session. If the examiners are satisfied by your performance in the referred examination, they will award a minimum pass. You are not compelled to take advantage of the offer of referral, in which case the course is failed. To qualify for a referral you must have passed the course work and obtain 7/8 of the pass mark in the written paper but, for examinations with significant problem-solving content, the referral band for the written paper begins at 3/4 of the pass mark. Referrals are possible only at the end of first or second year or, in the case of an MSci, at the end of third year; and only if you have already passed 2.5, 6, or 10 units, respectively. Furthermore, the offer of a referral will be revoked if the student would not be able to progress even if successful in the referral. Students should not, under any circumstances, automatically assume that they will be offered referral in any
given course.

Resit
If the examination is failed, the candidate may be able to retake it at the appropriate time in the following session. This is termed a resit. If the student is successful at the resit, then the mark used in calculations for Honours is the average of the pass mark and the resit mark. If the student fails the resit, then the higher mark obtained is used in Honours calculations. Students are allowed only one resit; and absence from the examination or incompletion with respect to course work count as an attempt."
MulderMan
I heard that, was it in last weeks biochem exams?
I know we got warned more than usual not to do it!

Nope, it was the main biochem one before that. I just can't believe he thought he would actually get away with it!
I don't think that's true; the languages departments are all separate (for now :mad:) so will have different regulations. Someone in my Russian class is retaking the entire year for his language modules because he failed last time. As far as I know there are no summer resits at UCL (for the courses I am in).
With law, if you fail an exam in your first year you either take the one exam again or take them all again (if you got less than 30%). If you fail more than one, regardless of the score, you take them all again.
After that, if you pass, fine, on to your second year.
If you fail, you retake your first year, and then if you fail at the end of your first year, you are out.

With your second and third year, if you fail, you get a chance in the summer to resit,if you pass, carry on, if you fail i think you become a part time student to pass whatever you failed and then when you pass you carry on. Not bad, really...

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending