The Student Room Group
University College London, University of London
University College London
London

Ask a Current UCL Student: The Official Thread

Scroll to see replies

Original post by logic123
Hi Curious Mind have you been recommended the Purves book yet? if so , buy it, and red all of it before starting in September :smile: congratz on your place

Thanks! No I haven't been recommended any book yet! If you have other tips/advice feel free to tell me :smile: what year are you in? have you enjoyed the course so far?? I'm so looking forward to september!
University College London, University of London
University College London
London
Reply 1781
yeh i rememmber this time last year haha how excited i was - shame its only an adrenaline effect and it wears off pretty quickly once you get to grips with university reality. But nonetheless, you will have a good balance between social and work - in the words of Susan Jaeggi (neuroscientist) - No pain No game!!!!!
Original post by logic123
yeh i rememmber this time last year haha how excited i was - shame its only an adrenaline effect and it wears off pretty quickly once you get to grips with university reality. But nonetheless, you will have a good balance between social and work - in the words of Susan Jaeggi (neuroscientist) - No pain No game!!!!!

haha I guess that's true! anyway, I'm glad to hear that there's a good balance between social and work! work hard play hard, right? :smile: so you're in the first year now? are you living in one of the UCL residences?f yes, how's it like?
ps: sorry for all these questions, I hope it doesn't bother you!
Reply 1783
Hi

I was just wondering what the libraries are like at UCL.. specifically the main library and the science library. Are there quiet places to sit and read... are there comfy chairs... are there different rooms in them, etc.

Also, if I can't find somewhere in the library to hide away and read somewhere, is there anywhere like that at UCL? I'm a bit wierd when it comes to these kinda things! Lol! :tongue: I like to be able to hide in a corner where no-one will bother me and read in peace!

Essentially I'm starting at UCL in september as a graduate and I think my course is going to be rather intense, hence it would be nice to be able to chill somewhere and get my head around the topics...

What say you? :smile:

Cheers
Mir
I'm asking the current LLB sTudents, what were ur subjects combination during ALevels and what was your grades requirement for conditional offer? Did u guys take maths? Ok, thank you... Hope u guys can answer this as it will helps me a lot....
Original post by ranut
Hello there. I was wondering if a UCL student could answer a question. I may well be accepted onto a postgraduate diploma degree due to me not meeting entry requirements, is it possible to be upgraded to the full Master's course if I perform well?

Ask the team in the International Office and/or Admissions and/or the department. Quite often a university will allow you to proceed to the Masters automatically if you get about 65% in the Diploma. Not sure they'd be able to do that within a single year.
Reply 1786
Original post by mir
Hi

I was just wondering what the libraries are like at UCL.. specifically the main library and the science library. Are there quiet places to sit and read... are there comfy chairs... are there different rooms in them, etc.

Also, if I can't find somewhere in the library to hide away and read somewhere, is there anywhere like that at UCL? I'm a bit wierd when it comes to these kinda things! Lol! :tongue: I like to be able to hide in a corner where no-one will bother me and read in peace!

Essentially I'm starting at UCL in september as a graduate and I think my course is going to be rather intense, hence it would be nice to be able to chill somewhere and get my head around the topics...

What say you? :smile:

Cheers
Mir

In general UCL libraries are good when it comes to hiding (e.g. history dept in a Main Library). It gets worse over the exam period when people generally start to live in a building. When it comes to chairs, Science wins :smile: the building has also a better ventilation.
All in all it should not be too hard to find a place that suits you
Does UCL do three language degrees? I'm typing in three languages on UCAS search, and it's coming up, but I can't see it in the prospectus :/
Reply 1788
No, it doesn't. You can only do two languages as part of your degree. However, your department might let you do an outside option one year, in which case you could do half a unit in a third language (although it won't show up in the title of your degree). UCL consider the culture courses to be just as important as the language ones, so they won't split the 4 Course Units between 3 languages, as it gives a disadvantage to one language culture-wise.

I think if you do language and culture, you only study two languages at a time, but you can swap one of them each year. However, for L&C, you have to choose a 'main' language which gets more attention and in which you spend the whole of your Year Abroad. So while you'd get to do three (or even four) languages over the course of your degree, you wouldn't be studying more than two at the same time, and you'd only spend time in one country for your YA.
(edited 12 years ago)
Reply 1789
Original post by klika89
In general UCL libraries are good when it comes to hiding (e.g. history dept in a Main Library). It gets worse over the exam period when people generally start to live in a building. When it comes to chairs, Science wins :smile: the building has also a better ventilation.
All in all it should not be too hard to find a place that suits you

Thank you :smile: Can't wait to go and check them all out. I'll be in the science library anyway so thats good news :biggrin:
hello every one,i am international student,i got admission in postgraduate Ph.D at Eastman dental institute,UCL.i have never been to London before.
i am very confuse about accommodation in UCL (halls or residence etc),please give me an advice which place,or hall to choose,which is affordable,as well as very friendly people... which one is better astor college or max rayne house.i am confused
i will be waiting for your suggestion.
Reply 1791
Would love to hear anything about the geography course :3
to UCL Neuroscience students (or similar courses), do you think it's possible to get a part-time job while studying for a neuroscience degree? I mean, do you manage to combine the two things? In particular I'd like to get a healthcare-related job. thanks!
(edited 12 years ago)
How important is the fresher's fayre? I think I'm missing us as my course (archaeology) takes us away on a field course and I think it clashes directly, so I'd miss that and then any ensuing events on the weekend of fresher's week.

I'm a bit worried about it in terms of being able to sign up for things or get important information :s-smilie: and just generally missing out.
Reply 1794
Fresher's Fayre is just an excuse to get lots of free stuff. All the information that societies give out, they're happy to provide if you email them at a later date. You won't miss anything important.

As for the weekend of fresher's week- which weekend, first or second? First weekend is moving in weekend, so it's when people meet their flatmates, and there are social events put on by the union. So you'll be missing early bonding time with your flatmates, but nothing you can't catch up on soon after. If you mean the second weekend- basically nothing happens then. I don't remember doing anything on that weekend.
Original post by Lizia

Original post by Lizia
Fresher's Fayre is just an excuse to get lots of free stuff. All the information that societies give out, they're happy to provide if you email them at a later date. You won't miss anything important.

As for the weekend of fresher's week- which weekend, first or second? First weekend is moving in weekend, so it's when people meet their flatmates, and there are social events put on by the union. So you'll be missing early bonding time with your flatmates, but nothing you can't catch up on soon after. If you mean the second weekend- basically nothing happens then. I don't remember doing anything on that weekend.

Yeah, it's the second weekend. That's a relief :smile: worried I'm going to go away and come back and all my flatmates will have forgotten who I am :facepalm:
A few months ago I firmed UCL (yay!) but a couple of days after I firmed them on UCAS I received a letter giving me an offer again. I ignored it because I thought it was just the university offering me a place as well as the letter from the department but now I am really scared that they dont know I have firmed them. I have an unconditional offer and many people who hold unconditional offers are getting their accommodation letters but I havent received anything since that offer letter. Should I be worried?
(edited 12 years ago)
Original post by dirtyoldriver
How important is the fresher's fayre? I think I'm missing us as my course (archaeology) takes us away on a field course and I think it clashes directly, so I'd miss that and then any ensuing events on the weekend of fresher's week.

I'm a bit worried about it in terms of being able to sign up for things or get important information :s-smilie: and just generally missing out.

Don't forgot about Re-Fresher's, second bite at the apple, if you do miss anything.
Original post by Cutieapple44
A few months ago I firmed UCL (yay!) but a couple of days after I firmed them on UCAS I received a letter giving me an offer again. I ignored it because I thought it was just the university offering me a place as well as the letter from the department but now I am really scared that they dont know I have firmed them. I have an unconditional offer and many people who hold unconditional offers are getting their accommodation letters but I havent received anything since that offer letter. Should I be worried?

I got unconditional offer too, though I haven't received anything. Don't worry, I think we will get our accommodation letters mid-July or so. Just a thought!

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending