union elections Watch

This discussion is closed.
johnny bravo
Badges: 0
Report Thread starter 13 years ago
union elections on friday!
anybody running/know anyone/predictions???? do you even care???

comments please....................
F. Poste
Rep:
?
Report 13 years ago
I'm a member of the Union but am completely apathetic to the elections side of things.. probably because I don't know any big hacks..
johnny bravo
Report Thread starter 13 years ago
they will probably try to get to know you................lol
Clodagh
Rep:
?
Report 13 years ago
not a membe rof the union, never been there, don't even know where it is, don't care!
RxB
Badges: 1
Rep:
?
Report 13 years ago
Hertford is hack-free.

Therefore, I get all my Union news from OxGoss. This isn't a course of action I'd recommend pursuing.
Feefifofum
Badges: 14
Rep:
?
Report 13 years ago
How popular is the union in Oxford? Everyone at home (Newcastle) raves about it and says I'm so lucky to be getting the chance to join, but on the Student Room and at my interviews noone was particularly enthusiastic!
Johnny 5
Badges: 11
Report 13 years ago
(Original post by feefifofum)
How popular is the union in Oxford? Everyone at home (Newcastle) raves about it and says I'm so lucky to be getting the chance to join, but on the Student Room and at my interviews noone was particularly enthusiastic!
Wish I was there, I love debating. They'd probably intimidate the hell out of me, though.
Feefifofum
Rep:
?
Report 13 years ago
Yeah, me too - debating in my school is OK where there are only aabout three of us who actually do it, so I think the pressure of somewhere as prestigious as the Union might get to me. A lot.
RxB
Rep:
?
Report 13 years ago
Union Debaters largely dislike the Union, or at least the whole hierarchical and snobbish structure of it.

At least, the (few) union debaters I know.
H&E
Rep:
?
Report 13 years ago
It is intimidating, but there are special debates organised for beginners. Before every debate, there's an Emergency Debate, where anyone can speak. Speeches are only two minutes, and the crowd tends to be smaller (30-50 people). So it's not difficult or intimidating to speak there. Admittedly it is scary speaking during a Main Debate, but you again only get two minutes as a floor speaker and once you've done a couple of emergencies it's no problem. I never debated at school, and have given 6 speeches, as well as made various points of information to important speakers. I pointed of informationed the Chairman of FOREST, for example, after which some Lord turned round to me and said Well done, good point. Was jokes!
Johnny 5
Badges: 11
Report 13 years ago
Yeah, me too - debating in my school is OK where there are only aabout three of us who actually do it, so I think the pressure of somewhere as prestigious as the Union might get to me. A lot.
Worse for me, maybe - there is no-one in my college that does debating, so I actually have to go back to my old high school to enter competitions. Not too bad, though, we've still been kicking some grammar schools in the ESU Mace, and there's nothing I love more than kicking grammar schools at debating.
Drogue
Badges: 19
Rep:
?
Report 13 years ago
2/3rds of all Oxford students join, so pretty big.

As for predictions:

Pinky for President, Sapana for Librarian, Coates for Tresurer and Kat for Secretary.
Feefifofum
Rep:
?
Report 13 years ago
what does the union librarian do - does the union have its own library?
d750
Rep:
?
Report 13 years ago
Yup. Membership gives you borrowing rights as well, of course. But it's far more like a village library than a university one.
RxB
Rep:
?
Report 13 years ago
(Original post by Drogue)
2/3rds of all Oxford students join, so pretty big.

As for predictions:

Pinky for President, Sapana for Librarian, Coates for Tresurer and Kat for Secretary.
You've got the last two the wrong way round.
RxB
Rep:
?
Report 13 years ago
(Original post by d750)
Yup. Membership gives you borrowing rights as well, of course. But it's far more like a village library than a university one.
I find it's pretty good to work in though. I've been in there a few times, and there's been a total of one other person ever in there with me.

And to answer the original question (I think) the Librarian's responsible for getting a lot of the speakers down.
Drogue
Rep:
?
Report 13 years ago
(Original post by RxB)
You've got the last two the wrong way round.
:eek:

Clearly I've not been paying attention to what I've been writing But suffice to say, both will win. Poraj, Sayid, Nikhil, Pat and Powell have little chance, IMHO, though I'm sure upsets are possible.
Drogue
Rep:
?
Report 13 years ago
Yes, though the Librarian is also the vice-president of the Union. They book the majority of speakers, while the president organises the debates.
RxB
Rep:
?
Report 13 years ago
Have you been sent your manifesto booklet yet, or have you figured this out through Uniony contacts? Traditionally I get all my Union stuff a few days after everyone else, having a surname towards the end of the alphabet.
granddad_bob
Rep:
?
Report 13 years ago
i really don't care. but if there's any oriel men standing, they'll get my support. (actually, out of interest, are any candidates from oriel standing?)
X
Latest
My Feed

See more of what you like on
The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

Personalise

Do you like exams?

Yes (192)
18.7%
No (622)
60.56%
Not really bothered about them (213)
20.74%

Watched Threads