Turn on thread page Beta

ReputationRep:
    A question for the new uni lot

Did you learn to cook before leaving for Uni? and if so how.

Expression has always known to cook so he was already but I don't even know how to cook beans on toast without burning something.

Also, I don't know how to use a washing machine, iron or anything - should I be worried?

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by a_musical_gal)
    A question for the new uni lot

Did you learn to cook before leaving for Uni? and if so how.

Expression has always known to cook so he was already but I don't even know how to cook beans on toast without burning something.

Also, I don't know how to use a washing machine, iron or anything - should I be worried?
    Neither do I, and I'm 18... I'm going to have to start learning about this survival stuff or I'm in for it.

(Original post by Petrozzi)
    Neither do I, and I'm 18... I'm going to have to start learning about this survival stuff or I'm in for it.
    learn to clean, look after urself etc. cooking is not essential if u go to catered halls, but if ur planning on the cheaper self-catered u definitely wanna learn to cook! what i did was just experiment with mum's cookbooks when she was out.!!

ReputationRep:
    I didn't learn how to cook beforehand, and I'm in self-catered accomodation at the moment, - managing to survive! I just cook really simple things, baked potatoes, pasta, pizza etc. - its not hard to teach yourself as you go along, - and anyone can use a microwave!

ReputationRep:
    "the only time i've used the microwave in the 7 weeks so far has been to defrost" by expression.

I love it when my darling cooks for me!

(Original post by mr-shiraz)
    I didn't learn how to cook beforehand, and I'm in self-catered accomodation at the moment, - managing to survive! I just cook really simple things, baked potatoes, pasta, pizza etc. - its not hard to teach yourself as you go along, - and anyone can use a microwave!
    being like a mum here, so sorry - but .. baked potatoes, pasta and pizza.. doesnt sound like a very healthy diet buddy u need to start eating some good old fruit and veg

ReputationRep:
    Don't worry I couldn't do any of the above before I came to uni, and I'm not malnurished, I haven't given myself food poisoning, nor have I shrunk any clothes or burned anything with my iron!!! You learn pretty quickly!!! In fact, I have been voted best cook in my flat (not meaning to boast!), but I still don't think I can cook at all - all I do is cook meat and put some kind of sauce on it (that comes out of a can!), or do vegetable stir frys (again not much effort required), or pasta or something. Its amazing what stuff you can find at the supermarkets thats so easy to do (like curry for example, or sweet and sour chicken) A few of my housemates have been a bit adventurous, but then the boys just do pizza and oven chips, or chicken dippers and oven chips, or fish fingers and oven chips...you get the picture!!!

But don't worry about it, you'll cope no problems (just keep the iron on low heat and don't put anything red in with your whites!).

ReputationRep:
    Cooking - easy just buy loads of frozen stuff and follow the microwave instructions.

Washing - also easy: put in clothes, put in washing powder, put in money (in the money slot not with the clothes ) press coloured or whites button and wait 40 mins.

Ironing - haven't tried - and ive been here 5 weeks

ReputationRep:
    I can iron (a bit). I can fry (wahey! Food that is...), I do a mean scrambled egg with salad cream! Need to learn to wash my clothes! It's all so complicated with the cycles and degrees and all! HELP!!!
    <breaks down in tears before realising he doesn't have to worry about it until September. Makes himself a fried egg + mayonaise sarnie>

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by ZJuwelH)
    Need to learn to wash my clothes! It's all so complicated with the cycles and degrees and all!
    I think they intentionally make the washing machines much simpler than the ones you get at home so student don't end up breaking them

I will take some pics when i get a digital camera of the one we have here and make another little guide for my website - I'm sure "how to wash your clothes" will go down well

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by loftx)
    I think they intentionally make the washing machines much simpler than the ones you get at home so student don't end up breaking them

I will take some pics when i get a digital camera of the one we have here and make another little guide for my website - I'm sure "how to wash your clothes" will go down well
    Or the book: "Washing Clothes For Dummies"...
    Hey they can wash their own clothes!

ReputationRep:
    Or the book: "Washing Clothes For Dummies"...
    Hey they can wash their own clothes!
    I'll make it easy;

Hot Wash cycle - anything that has wash at 50 degrees or more writen on the label.
    Warm Wash cycle - anything that has 40 degrees on the label.
    Cold Wash - anything that has 30 degrees or below on the label.

Does that help?! Hehe!!!

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Chicken)
    I'll make it easy;

Hot Wash cycle - anything that has wash at 50 degrees or more writen on the label.
    Warm Wash cycle - anything that has 40 degrees on the label.
    Cold Wash - anything that has 30 degrees or below on the label.

Does that help?! Hehe!!!
    Yes it helps. Thanks Chicken. Speaking of chicken how do you cook that stuff <evil glint in eye>

ReputationRep:
    Yes it helps. Thanks Chicken. Speaking of chicken how do you cook that stuff <evil glint in eye>
    Shhhh...don't worry Chicken I won't let him eat you!!!!!

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Adhsur)
    Killjoy! Guess I'll have to eat Goat...

ReputationRep:
    Well you said you can fry, so i'm sure you can cook chicken that way!!! And i'm not actually a chicken, so get rid of that evil glint!!!

ReputationRep:
    Hehe thanks!!! He won't be able to find me though anyway so I'm not too scared (contrary to what many people think of students, I am not in the union bar every night, making it much more difficult to find me)!!!!

ReputationRep:
    Hehe thanks!!! He won't be able to find me though anyway so I'm not too scared (contrary to what many people think of students, I am not in the union bar every night, making it much more difficult to find me)!!!!
    Ohhhhhh how mysterious.

ReputationRep:
    Ohhhhhh how mysterious.
    Lol - didn't want to appear mysterious, just didn't want to be worried about strangers coming to cook me!!!

ReputationRep:
    Lol - didn't want to appear mysterious, just didn't want to be worried about strangers coming to cook me!!!
    Maybe the reason you're not out and about is because you're already in the microwave.

Poll
Who is most responsible for your success at university
Useful resources

The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Write a reply...
Hide
Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.