C2 Trig Watch

This discussion is closed.
jamal1425
Badges: 0
Report Thread starter 13 years ago
This is a really simple, elementary question, but I'm not sure how one's supposed to go about doing things.

sin x° = -√3/2, -180 'less than or equal to' x 'less than or equal to 540'

-√3/2 is equal to -30° right? What do you do next? Use the cast method? I have, but I don't get the right answers, must be doing something wrong. :confused:
J.F.N
Badges: 1
Rep:
?
Report 13 years ago
arcsin-sqrt(3/2)=-60. So in the suggested interval, x=-120,-60,240,300
iluvcheesecake
Rep:
?
Report 13 years ago
(Original post by jamal1425)
This is a really simple, elementary question, but I'm not sure how one's supposed to go about doing things.

sin x° = -√3/2, -180 'less than or equal to' x 'less than or equal to 540'

-√3/2 is equal to -30° right? What do you do next? Use the cast method? I have, but I don't get the right answers, must be doing something wrong. :confused:
sin^-1(-√3/2) = -60, not -30

I'm not sure what the cast method is :confused: , but I'd try drawing the graph y=sin x, and marking on the point where x=-60, then seeing what values of x, the y-value is the same. You should get -120,-60,240 and 300 in that range.
jamal1425
Report Thread starter 13 years ago
(Original post by iluvcheesecake)
sin^-1(-√3/2) = -60, not -30

I'm not sure what the cast method is :confused: , but I'd try drawing the graph y=sin x, and marking on the point where x=-60, then seeing what values of x, the y-value is the same. You should get -120,-60,240 and 300 in that range.
'Cast Method' , though I don't think thats the right name for it, is when you draw the 4 quadrants , 1st, 2nd, 3rd , 4th, etc. But I think the way you've suggested is alot simpler! Thanks!
iluvcheesecake
Rep:
?
Report 13 years ago
(Original post by jamal1425)
'Cast Method' , though I don't think thats the right name for it, is when you draw the 4 quadrants , 1st, 2nd, 3rd , 4th, etc. But I think the way you've suggested is alot simpler! Thanks!
Oh yeah, I know what you mean, sorry I was just being stupid. :rolleyes:
X
Latest
My Feed

See more of what you like on
The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

Personalise

University open days

• Brunel University London
    Postgraduate Open Evening Postgraduate
    Wed, 23 Jan '19
  • University of the West of England, Bristol
    Undergraduate Open Afternoon - Frenchay Campus Undergraduate
    Wed, 23 Jan '19
  • University of East London
    Postgraduate Open Evening Postgraduate
    Wed, 23 Jan '19

Are you chained to your phone?