Student in the Laboratory, Lancaster University
Lancaster University
Lancaster
Visit website

Lancaster University Accommodation

Scroll to see replies

Reply 960
humpdebump17
I'm in a mixed flat, don't know if that gives any indication as to whether I'll be on the ground floor or not? :smile:

Not really. They seem to vary where people go each year. For example, one block had an all girls ground floor, then an all boys first floor and mixed top two but the following year all those flats were mixed. :smile:

Don't worry about it. Ground floor is alright. Usually end up being really social and involved with everything because people pop by or stop to chat at the kitchen window etc. My room, in first year, was level with the car park but it didn't really bother me. If anyone stares in, stare back - they soon feel uncomfortable lol!
Student in the Laboratory, Lancaster University
Lancaster University
Lancaster
Visit website
affinity89
Not really. They seem to vary where people go each year. For example, one block had an all girls ground floor, then an all boys first floor and mixed top two but the following year all those flats were mixed. :smile:

Don't worry about it. Ground floor is alright. Usually end up being really social and involved with everything because people pop by or stop to chat at the kitchen window etc. My room, in first year, was level with the car park but it didn't really bother me. If anyone stares in, stare back - they soon feel uncomfortable lol!

Haha :smile: okay. I wasn't even worried about the ground floor thing until other people started mentioning it, I think I would perhaps like to be on the first floor :smile: not right at the top because lugging all my stuff up there when I arrived would be a huge pain!

On another note, does anybody know if Pendle "ghetto" is really horrible? That's what I've been assigned and now I'm worried :s-smilie:
Reply 962
humpdebump17
Haha :smile: okay. I wasn't even worried about the ground floor thing until other people started mentioning it, I think I would perhaps like to be on the first floor :smile: not right at the top because lugging all my stuff up there when I arrived would be a huge pain!

On another note, does anybody know if Pendle "ghetto" is really horrible? That's what I've been assigned and now I'm worried :s-smilie:

It isn't horrible. Honestly. The blocks are in a quad shape with grass in the middle and the bar at the end. They are very convenient for Central too. Inside, the flats are arranged in groups of 8, with two WCs and two showers. The doors on the flat lock automatically, which is good security wise, and the kitchens are okay. The furnishings are relatively old and they are not as 'nice' as some of the new ensuite stuff, but they do the job. :smile:
affinity89
It isn't horrible. Honestly. The blocks are in a quad shape with grass in the middle and the bar at the end. They are very convenient for Central too. Inside, the flats are arranged in groups of 8, with two WCs and two showers. The doors on the flat lock automatically, which is good security wise, and the kitchens are okay. The furnishings are relatively old and they are not as 'nice' as some of the new ensuite stuff, but they do the job. :smile:

Thanks that's reassuring :smile: it's the nickname it's been given that puts me off I think :P And I thought it was 1 shower between 6, not 2 between 8, so that's better :smile:
How have you found sharing toilets and showers? Do you often have to wait for the shower in the morning etc? Thanks for the info :smile:
Reply 964
humpdebump17
Thanks that's reassuring :smile: it's the nickname it's been given that puts me off I think :P And I thought it was 1 shower between 6, not 2 between 8, so that's better :smile:
How have you found sharing toilets and showers? Do you often have to wait for the shower in the morning etc? Thanks for the info :smile:

My accommodation is 1 shower between 5. Not really had a problem. Once or twice I've been beaten by a flatmate to the shower and had to wait 5/10 minutes to use it but it isn't a major problem. You'll find people shower at different times anyway - one of my flatmates used to shower at about 3pm, regardless of what he was doing that day, which meant he never had to wait lol. :smile:
affinity89
My accommodation is 1 shower between 5. Not really had a problem. Once or twice I've been beaten by a flatmate to the shower and had to wait 5/10 minutes to use it but it isn't a major problem. You'll find people shower at different times anyway - one of my flatmates used to shower at about 3pm, regardless of what he was doing that day, which meant he never had to wait lol. :smile:

Haha that sounds like a plan :biggrin:
How is it for privacy? I've seen a picture of the shower room for Pendle standard but I couldn't really make it out, it looked really tiny and like there was not much space to dry yourself/get dressed etc afterwards lol
jimboish
they wernt telling me either, so i rang up today, told them i'm going on holiday tomorrow and that i wont have access to my emails and if it would be okay to be given allocated my accommodation now, and they did haha, got my first choice and everything..

give it a whirl

ITS WHIRL TIME!!!!:yep:

lol...suddenly everyone is going on holiday and needs to find out their college details asap...

think they are gonna smell a rat 2moz.....lol:animal: :hmmmm2:
Reply 967
flash00009
ITS WHIRL TIME!!!!:yep:

lol...suddenly everyone is going on holiday and needs to find out their college details asap...

think they are gonna smell a rat 2moz.....lol:animal: :hmmmm2:

LOL...did you get your details too? thats amusing. maybe i should i have tried it on day one and got into grizedale :frown:..aha. its gonna be a large stinking rat if all remaining applicants are 'all going on holiday tomoz' ahaha
Reply 968
humpdebump17
Haha that sounds like a plan :biggrin:
How is it for privacy? I've seen a picture of the shower room for Pendle standard but I couldn't really make it out, it looked really tiny and like there was not much space to dry yourself/get dressed etc afterwards lol

You can get dried and dressed in there should you wish. Most people I know don't bother though and tend to return to their room in a towel or dressing gown. I guess it depends how comfortable you are doing that. :smile:
Reply 969
They're exactly as advertised, and ideal for me because I enjoy being social on my terms.
Yeah I haven't recieved a welcome pack yet! Really wanna know what's going to be happaning during Fresher's week aswell! Just got my accomodation email yesterday & rang up accomodation today.

Think it's almost a definate there's no place on campus but guy said that they're gonna try and keep all clearing students together either, probably in houses and that we're gonna find out between now & mid September. Anyone heard back about accomodation?
Reply 971
anarchic
They're exactly as advertised, and ideal for me because I enjoy being social on my terms.

Are you in Pendle or Grizdale?
Reply 972
Pendle
Reply 973
I had a friend in one (Lonsdale). They are a bit socially isolating as you don't need to use the kitchen, which is where most of the mixing goes on in your flat. But it may be that this is what you want - my friend had Aspergers and couldn't cope with the social interaction and noise of 8 people in the kitchen at once.
It was very nice and comfortable. A good thing, if you are sure it is what you want and can afford it.
Reply 974
Lizj
I had a friend in one (Lonsdale). They are a bit socially isolating as you don't need to use the kitchen, which is where most of the mixing goes on in your flat.

On the contrary, if you feel like enjoying some quiet time or studying with a hot beverage and there are 8 people in your kitchen messing around, it can get quite aggravating. This was a problem I experienced quite often in my first year, along with general noise and annoyances at ridiculous times.

If you're a social butterfly and can't handle being alone for a second - don't consider a studio room. Otherwise, it really depends on the extent to which you imagine you'd be able to tolerate possible undesired interruptions.
Reply 975
Two random questions: Is there a radiator in the superior en-suite rooms? (I'm going to be in Fylde if that makes a difference). And also will there be storage space underneath the beds?
becky=)
Two random questions: Is there a radiator in the superior en-suite rooms? (I'm going to be in Fylde if that makes a difference). And also will there be storage space underneath the beds?

Yes. And Yes :smile:
Although the radiators can be a bit funny, they work on a rotation system so not every college will have heating at the same time, which meant Cartmel was always freezing at night and boiling during the morning (which did not make getting up easy!)
Reply 977
michaelbenson
Yes. And Yes :smile:
Although the radiators can be a bit funny, they work on a rotation system so not every college will have heating at the same time, which meant Cartmel was always freezing at night and boiling during the morning (which did not make getting up easy!)

Are you sure about this? I know in Grad that the heating was only on during the day about 7 am till 11 pm, then off all night. I thought all colleges were on this time delay. You generally can also adjust the heating in your room while it's on using the radiator controls.

EDIT: Just looked in residence handbook which says this:
Heating in most residence areas runs from 07:00-23:00. However, heating is not
normally provided in the summer months. If you have a problem with heating or hot water,
please contact the Porter or your Residence Offi cer. Heating faults are NOT classed as
emergencies but are normally dealt with within one working day (excluding weekends)
of notifi cation.
bestie
Are you sure about this? I know in Grad that the heating was only on during the day about 7 am till 11 pm, then off all night. I thought all colleges were on this time delay. You generally can also adjust the heating in your room while it's on using the radiator controls.

EDIT: Just looked in residence handbook which says this:

I think it may only relate to the new Townhouses then. Cause I University had this new energy saving drive which resulted in some new equipment being installed which put all the heating on a staggered timer - Cause quite a few students have complained about it to LUSU.
Reply 979
There's an online guide to Fresher's week on the website. In honestly it doesn't look like much is on :\ Bet the Sugarhouse is really good though! Hope we find out soon about accommodation, but I bet it does take them ages. Just hope I don't end up miles away from campus.

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending