Lancaster University
Lancaster
Visit website

Lancaster University Accommodation

Scroll to see replies

Reply 1480
Original post by Oatcake
I'm fairly tech-competent, though networking is not my strong point... :frown:

So I have my PC connected to the ethernet port in the room - how then do I set up an Ad-Hoc network to my Xbox/Laptop - both of which have wireless capabilities?

EDIT: Cancel that, got it :smile:

Sorry lol! I only just seen it, glad you've sorted it :smile:
Student in the Laboratory, Lancaster University
Lancaster University
Lancaster
Visit website
Reply 1481
Original post by Oatcake
I'm fairly tech-competent, though networking is not my strong point... :frown:

So I have my PC connected to the ethernet port in the room - how then do I set up an Ad-Hoc network to my Xbox/Laptop - both of which have wireless capabilities?

EDIT: Cancel that, got it :smile:

What are you planning on doing? I have a wireless printer and xbox which i'd like to have running whilst using my laptop wirelessly as well, reckon this would be possible?
Reply 1482
Original post by T.Reid
What are you planning on doing? I have a wireless printer and xbox which i'd like to have running whilst using my laptop wirelessly as well, reckon this would be possible?

I was planning on having an Ethernet switch and running PC, Xbox and laptop individually, though ResNet stipulates you can only have one device hooked up.

You can create an Ad-Hoc network (Wired PC) connecting to any wireless peripheral (laptop, printer, xbox) by using the connection coming into the PC from ethernet and creating a wireless network from that.

It'll be less stable than being wired, as well as having to have your PC on eveytime you want to use the xbox etc, which kinda defeats the object of having the network in the first place really, might as well just unplug one and put in the other (would be suitable for the printer though).

Not quite sure what I plan to do yet :confused:
Reply 1483
Original post by Oatcake
I was planning on having an Ethernet switch and running PC, Xbox and laptop individually, though ResNet stipulates you can only have one device hooked up.

You can create an Ad-Hoc network (Wired PC) connecting to any wireless peripheral (laptop, printer, xbox) by using the connection coming into the PC from ethernet and creating a wireless network from that.

It'll be less stable than being wired, as well as having to have your PC on eveytime you want to use the xbox etc, which kinda defeats the object of having the network in the first place really, might as well just unplug one and put in the other (would be suitable for the printer though).

Not quite sure what I plan to do yet :confused:

Having a mac is going to make this more complicated as I bet they bar it somehow. You think I could maybe use an old router to broadcast the signal? Or one of those Apple Airport things that creates a personal hotspot from Ethernet supplied Internet?
Reply 1484
Original post by T.Reid
Having a mac is going to make this more complicated as I bet they bar it somehow. You think I could maybe use an old router to broadcast the signal? Or one of those Apple Airport things that creates a personal hotspot from Ethernet supplied Internet?

Apple airports are about as obvious as the Eiffel Tower in paris. Bog standard cable routers are probably your best bet. if you wanna get technical, some routers allow MAC spoofing so you can make your router look like your computer, well until they start looking at the network maps. but yea. keep a low key and you wont be found...
Reply 1485
Original post by T.Reid

To share the internet from the ethernet to Airport (Wi-Fi) couldn't be simpler with a mac, it's built in on the sharing section of System Preferences :wink:
Reply 1486
Original post by J1mjam
Apple airports are about as obvious as the Eiffel Tower in paris. Bog standard cable routers are probably your best bet. if you wanna get technical, some routers allow MAC spoofing so you can make your router look like your computer, well until they start looking at the network maps. but yea. keep a low key and you wont be found...

I think this is exactly what I did last year with a netgear router at home, I followed some dodgy instructions and it seemed to work. Any tips for how to keep the IT security guys from realising what im doing?
Reply 1487
Original post by T.Reid
I think this is exactly what I did last year with a netgear router at home, I followed some dodgy instructions and it seemed to work. Any tips for how to keep the IT security guys from realising what im doing?

dont speak about it on a public forum which ISS guys do read from time to time :P. dont broadcast any ssid. Set up a DECENT security on it. i.e. WPA and NOT WEP.... if your router can, set up MAC filtering, its another line of defence. yes people can mac spoof but unless they know what to spoof to. you should be okay. and if you dont really need wifi, dont bother with it. makes everything a lot easier.
Reply 1488
Original post by J1mjam
dont speak about it on a public forum which ISS guys do read from time to time :P. dont broadcast any ssid. Set up a DECENT security on it. i.e. WPA and NOT WEP.... if your router can, set up MAC filtering, its another line of defence. yes people can mac spoof but unless they know what to spoof to. you should be okay. and if you dont really need wifi, dont bother with it. makes everything a lot easier.

Okay, so if I was to get this router and without the need of wireless - I therefore don't need to hide SSID, and use WPA encryption, because there won't be any need as I'm using wired connection... right?
The router says it has MAC address filtering, how do I go about ensuring my devices/router have only the one MAC address/spoofing it?

Thanks
Reply 1489
Original post by J1mjam

I believe routing devices are banned. the only reason why I had an Ethernet switch in my room was because of the Resnet TV trial.
Reply 1490
Original post by Tathrim
I believe routing devices are banned. the only reason why I had an Ethernet switch in my room was because of the Resnet TV trial.

you are correct, hence taking precautions.
Original post by Oatcake
Okay, so if I was to get this router and without the need of wireless - I therefore don't need to hide SSID, and use WPA encryption, because there won't be any need as I'm using wired connection... right?
The router says it has MAC address filtering, how do I go about ensuring my devices/router have only the one MAC address/spoofing it?

Thanks

looks fine. you probably dont need to spend that much on it tbh.
you go into the settings and add your PC/Xbox and whatever devices you have to the MAC address list on the router. the router will block any devices without those mac address.
Reply 1491
Original post by J1mjam

looks fine. you probably dont need to spend that much on it tbh.
you go into the settings and add your PC/Xbox and whatever devices you have to the MAC address list on the router. the router will block any devices without those mac address.

Good stuff.

Would you advise this over an Ad-Hoc network then?

And one last question, if you don't mind:
When initially setting up my connection in the room and registering on ResNet, should I set up/register devices individually then introduce the router after? What would be the best way to ensure all is peachy?

Cheers :smile:
Original post by DellaLouise
Got my second choice. I'm now a Furnessian :biggrin:

me too :smile:
Original post by k9markiii

:five:
What type of accommodation? I'm in superior ensuite :awesome:
Reply 1494
Original post by Oatcake
Good stuff.

Would you advise this over an Ad-Hoc network then?

And one last question, if you don't mind:
When initially setting up my connection in the room and registering on ResNet, should I set up/register devices individually then introduce the router after? What would be the best way to ensure all is peachy?

Cheers :smile:

i cant remember exactly how i did it... it was almost a year ago. youll need to register you laptop/main PC first to set everything up. and from there you should add the mac address of your router. you shouldnt need to add the mac addresses of the devices attached. i think
Reply 1495
Original post by Tlex
So, I'm going to Lancaster, it was my insurance. When I rang up accomodation they told me I was unlikely to get a place on campus. Could anyone point me in the right direction? Kinda sucks!

Oh, your question got a bit lost in the other thread. :frown:
Don't panic too much, if you don't get on campus you will be contacted by the uni and invited to a house-finding day before the start of term (well, they did one last year so I assume they will do the same this year.)
If not, there are websites than can help you find somewhere, such as Yellow Door Lets, Student Housing Lancaster. And LUSU might have some rooms on their listings too.
Good luck: the university accommodation office will help you all they can and I'm sure you will get something.
Original post by k9markiii

Original post by DellaLouise
:five:
What type of accommodation? I'm in superior ensuite :awesome:

Well it seems its three of us! Im upgraded standard btw
Original post by diego1001

Make that four :smile:
Original post by diego1001

Original post by amarinimo