The Student Room Group

Hardship fund for Postgraduates

Hello,

Has anyone had experience in trying to get financial assistance by their university as a postgraduate? When I was an undergraduate many people I knew applied for a got hardship grants (even when they sometimes didn't need them) for between £500 to £1000. I didn't apply as an undergraduate as I didn't really need it. Anyway I'm studying for a masters at Aston university this year and am in real financial difficulty. Whilst my mum and dad pay my tutition fees and rent, I pay for course books, living cost and transportation. I was going to get a career development loan but the interest is huge and I'm already in loads of debt from first degree so my parents are loaning me the money for the tuition fees. Without a student loan this year i knew i would need a part time job to fund living costs. Which I got within two weeks of being at university. I worked part time for argos last term but they would only give me 3 hour shifts (apparently standard practice for xmas temps so as not to pay for breaks) so at the most in a week I was earning circa £45. Not ideal. I looked and looked for other jobs but most going either conincided with lectures or were full time. I worked a few shifts in a bar but it was a £15 taxi ride away ( i was finishing at 2am so no public transport) so left me with about £20 a shift. Anyway my contract with argos is up now and they won't give me any more shifts. I've applied to dozens of jobs and am signed up with loads of agencies. but as yet nothing. I do have an interview tomorrow so fingers crossed. Anyway I'm babbling but you get the picture. Last week I decided enough was enough (I had £10 to my name and that was it, overdraft maxed out) I applied for the hardship fund, feeling i had a pretty good case (my dad is about to lose his job as well). Today I recieved a letter:

"Thankyou for your application. Unfortunately the Panel is unable to consider your application"......"For postgraduate applicants we are required to insert a weekly national postgraduate income of £150 per week into the calculation as an income starting point"

I rang up the finance unit and ended up speaking three different people. They all said the same that the government stipulated the amount and there was nothing they could do. A postgrad qualification is not essential and you should not apply if you can't afford it. The only advice they did give me was this, apply for a career development loan which I really don't want to have to do, or leave university and come back next year?!!!!

Angry does not even begin to express how i feel, not to mention natwest charging me £40 for exceeding overdraft when the gas bill was direct debited out.

What if anything can I do. I've been trying and trying but it is so hard to get a job at the moment. I feel i want to argue this case further. I have never had job seekers allowance, I've never applied for funding before and now when i desperately need their help?!

Any advice?

Thanks sorry its so long!!
Reply 1
anyone?
Hi,

Sorry to hear whats happened...im currently doing my 2nd degree(couldnt take the postgrad route as couldnt get much finding) and i also applied to my university for hardship fund help they told me that they couldnt help me due to similar circumstances as you as they put an assumed income in which i dont get!! I have contacted the student union to look into it for me, have you tried that and tried appealing against their decision?
Reply 3
Hi,

They told me when i phoned them that appealing would be useless they'd just throw it out unless i'd found more funding. I've got a meeting with the student advice centre at uni so fingers crossed that might help!
holly
Reply 4
HollyBerry
Hello,

A postgrad qualification is not essential and you should not apply if you can't afford it.

Don't mean to be heartless but this is the crux of the matter and you would have been made well aware of it before taking up your postgrad app.
Reply 5
This thread is over a year old. Locking.

Latest

Trending

Trending