The Student Room Group

Any advice?

I feel very strange posting this here. I have a serious issue with discussing my feelings with people and so why I'm posting it in a forum where lots of people can read this, I do not know. Maybe its because its anonymous, really.

Right. Here goes. I met my current boyfriend at college. We were friends for aaages and then actually got together in January of last year. As we were in our second year of college, we were having to think about unis and applying, etc, etc but mostly our choices were made when we got together. I wanted to move away from home, to get the whole "university experience". Anyways, to cut a long story short, I did move away: but just an hour away so that there was still some chance of us staying together. I've never told him this is why I went there. Now, thats all fallen through: I didn't like it there and got out.

When we first moved to uni (he's at uni, but one 20 mins from home) things were very difficult. Over the summer, we had been seeing each other loads and then seeing each other every 2-4 weeks was a bit of a shock. In the first semester that's how it went. We'd spend a weekend, or an evening, together every 2-4 weeks. We had the obvious ups and downs, but hit a real low just before Christmas: it had come to the point where I think we both felt that we were going to see how the Christmas vacation went, and take it from there. As it was, it was fantastic. Probably the best our relationship has been so far.

So, I went back to uni feeling good about that. But I was also coming to terms with the fact that I didn't like uni that much, and I came to realise that there was no sense in me stopping there if I didn't want to. I should point out that a lot of the arguements we had before Christmas had been focused around me not talking about how I feel all the time. I'm not good at it...it's not because of lack of trust. I just bottle things up. It's me. Anyway, with our new improved (lol) relationship, I told him pretty early on how I was feeling and he was really supportive about everything.

I left uni a week and a bit ago, and then had a big drama the day after when our car was stolen with all my stuff in (I hadn't unpacked the car from moving out). To say the least, I was low. That was the Friday.

Saturday, boyfriend comes round. This bit probably sounds pretty selfish, but I was needing a bit of support. It had been a tough week: I had left all my uni friends behind. Which I know was my choice, and the right one, but it was stressful none the less. And then with the car being stolen I was a state. He was so unsupportive and uncaring, I really couldn't believe it. He even had a go at me for being in a "bad mood".

This week, we have been in contact via text etc but I'm finding it difficult adjusting to living at home once again and even more difficult knowing that he's still at uni, going out and having a good time. He can't grasp this at all. I went to visit him this weekend and he told me I was "not communicating" and "hard to access" (like I'm a ****ing bus or something). He also said, and this is what really pissed me off, that I seemed to 'have been very down recently', and that if I was so down I should 'do something about it myself and stop moaning'. This, from the boy who kept on at me for not telling him how I feel and now I rely on him for a bit of moral support he's telling me that, actually, he only wants to know how I feel if everything is nice and sunny and life is great.

I don't know what to do. Everything just recently has been going wrong for me. I thought I could rely on my relationship to stay steady through this. But it just seems to be falling down around me. On the train home yesterday, all I could think about was all the things that I don't like about him: the way he tells me about all the girls who try it on when he goes out (as if that's the kind of thing you tell your girlfriend), the way football in EVERY form comes before me (I don't mind him watching his team or playing but it pisses a girl off when they come second to a televised match where neither team is the one you support, boys)...just all the little things that when everything is good they are bearable, endearing even...but when things are bad they grate.

The thing that I hate most is that, if I finish this off then I have nothing here. He lives so close - all my friends are at unis so far away. I hate thinking that the only reason we are still together is because I have no-one else. But I'm starting to think that that is the case.

I'm sorry for writing an essay. If you read it, thank you: tell me what you think: what would you do if this was you?
Reply 1
Sarah7
I feel very strange posting this here. I have a serious issue with discussing my feelings with people and so why I'm posting it in a forum where lots of people can read this, I do not know. Maybe its because its anonymous, really.

Right. Here goes. I met my current boyfriend at college. We were friends for aaages and then actually got together in January of last year. As we were in our second year of college, we were having to think about unis and applying, etc, etc but mostly our choices were made when we got together. I wanted to move away from home, to get the whole "university experience". Anyways, to cut a long story short, I did move away: but just an hour away so that there was still some chance of us staying together. I've never told him this is why I went there. Now, thats all fallen through: I didn't like it there and got out.

When we first moved to uni (he's at uni, but one 20 mins from home) things were very difficult. Over the summer, we had been seeing each other loads and then seeing each other every 2-4 weeks was a bit of a shock. In the first semester that's how it went. We'd spend a weekend, or an evening, together every 2-4 weeks. We had the obvious ups and downs, but hit a real low just before Christmas: it had come to the point where I think we both felt that we were going to see how the Christmas vacation went, and take it from there. As it was, it was fantastic. Probably the best our relationship has been so far.

So, I went back to uni feeling good about that. But I was also coming to terms with the fact that I didn't like uni that much, and I came to realise that there was no sense in me stopping there if I didn't want to. I should point out that a lot of the arguements we had before Christmas had been focused around me not talking about how I feel all the time. I'm not good at it...it's not because of lack of trust. I just bottle things up. It's me. Anyway, with our new improved (lol) relationship, I told him pretty early on how I was feeling and he was really supportive about everything.

I left uni a week and a bit ago, and then had a big drama the day after when our car was stolen with all my stuff in (I hadn't unpacked the car from moving out). To say the least, I was low. That was the Friday.

Saturday, boyfriend comes round. This bit probably sounds pretty selfish, but I was needing a bit of support. It had been a tough week: I had left all my uni friends behind. Which I know was my choice, and the right one, but it was stressful none the less. And then with the car being stolen I was a state. He was so unsupportive and uncaring, I really couldn't believe it. He even had a go at me for being in a "bad mood".

This week, we have been in contact via text etc but I'm finding it difficult adjusting to living at home once again and even more difficult knowing that he's still at uni, going out and having a good time. He can't grasp this at all. I went to visit him this weekend and he told me I was "not communicating" and "hard to access" (like I'm a ****ing bus or something). He also said, and this is what really pissed me off, that I seemed to 'have been very down recently', and that if I was so down I should 'do something about it myself and stop moaning'. This, from the boy who kept on at me for not telling him how I feel and now I rely on him for a bit of moral support he's telling me that, actually, he only wants to know how I feel if everything is nice and sunny and life is great.

I don't know what to do. Everything just recently has been going wrong for me. I thought I could rely on my relationship to stay steady through this. But it just seems to be falling down around me. On the train home yesterday, all I could think about was all the things that I don't like about him: the way he tells me about all the girls who try it on when he goes out (as if that's the kind of thing you tell your girlfriend), the way football in EVERY form comes before me (I don't mind him watching his team or playing but it pisses a girl off when they come second to a televised match where neither team is the one you support, boys)...just all the little things that when everything is good they are bearable, endearing even...but when things are bad they grate.

The thing that I hate most is that, if I finish this off then I have nothing here. He lives so close - all my friends are at unis so far away. I hate thinking that the only reason we are still together is because I have no-one else. But I'm starting to think that that is the case.

I'm sorry for writing an essay. If you read it, thank you: tell me what you think: what would you do if this was you?

show him this thread
I'm sorry if I was you I would sack him off I mean from what I read he doesn't sound very understanding and he seems to care about sport more than you and the fact that he talks about other girls who have been trying to get with him or whatever is disgusting. I know its probably not what you want to hear but its being realistic. Please don't worry about being alone though or having no one I'm sure there are plenty of people out there who care about you and stuff. There will be plenty of people on here who will be friends with you and I will if you want.
Reply 3
k@tie
show him this thread

that and talk to him, tell him how you feel.

if he doesnt understand after that, dump him, hes not worth it if he wont help you. (he doesnt sound to good anyway due to the sports thing)

Good luck :smile:
Reply 4
He sounds like a callous, self-regarding, unsympathetic sh*t, to me. Do yourself a lasting service, and divest yourself of his unsavoury attentions. I'd wager you've made every necessary prior resolution, as it stands; although given the imperatives, tabling this issue with him one last time can only be to your eternal credit and benefit.
Reply 5
Thank you all for your replies - keep them coming, it's nice to know how outsiders view the situation.

I have to point out that, although i've said a lot of his faults in the message because that's primarily what its about, he obviously isn't all bad, else we wouldn't have been together for so long. It just gets to a point where you forget all that, and just focus on the negative aspects.

I'm meeting him on Wednesday for lunch, and I really think it's time we had a good chat about everything. We both know it's not working currently, it's just facing up to it and talking it out that's the problem!

Thank you for all you responses again xx
Reply 6

I think you need to try and think about what would make you happy. Its hard, and i've just told my boyfriend i don't want him to move down to be with me (we were meant to be getting a flat together) because i'm not ready for that. I sometimes feel like the way you described, like if everything was 100% perfect would i really still be with my boyfriend? I think i would. But would you? Maybe you can't right now, but thinking about what your priorities in your life are may help you to see how your bf fits in. :smile:
Reply 7
Sarky
i've just told my boyfriend i don't want him to move down to be with me because i'm not ready for that.

:biggrin: sorry, just seeing that, then seeing your sig :wink:
Sarah7

the best advice i can give is ,and dont take it to be patronising,cos everyone goes through some ****ed up things,is that maybe you need this to break up, and perhaps to focus more energy on building your independence, and your enjoyment of doing stuff on your own/with friends, maybe activity/hobby based stuff,maybe your character will also change as you get older, you may not want such intense relationships, as you become independent and find the right way of life, and good self-esteem, then you won't feel the need to be with someone just cos you have no-one else, if you feel more positive in other areas of your life...then with the other things going better, a relationship thats right for you will happen in time
Hi Sarah, so how are things going now? Soz this is prolly a little late, I live in Australia lol - 11 hour time difference - I'm prolly too late to help atm :redface: But I hope things are getting better for you :smile: Of course, if you still need help, I'm here, but like I said - time diff - not sure :confused:

Latest

Trending

Trending