The Student Room Group

Intellectual discusion: The homosexuality crisis?

This is an intellectual discusion only, which means no immature childishness, homophobia or hatefulness towards the gay community. Just to point that out, because it is not acceptable and I don't like hatred towards people for what they are, even though i'm not gay.

I was just wondering what people think should be done about the homosexuality crisis? Figures suggest that the estimated gay population in Britain has increased 3 fold since 1993. There was approximately 3 540 000 gay people in Britain in 1993, in 2003 this figure has shot up to an astonishing 10 620 000!

The gay community of Britain has risen from approximately 3 and a half million to 10 and a half million in ten years!

Why is this? What is the cause? Is it because homosexuality has become more openly acceptable? Are more people 'chosing' to become gay or are more people being born gay? What is the explanation for the increse I don't understand it.

What should be done about it? Does anything need to be done about it at all or is it okay if there is a larger gay community. Should government policies be set-up to tackle the homosexuality crisis or doesn't it matter? Maybe it is because more people from a young age are seeing gay people on TV and it is becoming more acceptable.

Personally I don't think homosexuality should be taught in schools and the government clause should remain in place because it might further exacebate the homosexuality crisis. In other words, more people might grow up and become gay if they are taught about it in school. I'm not homophobic at all but I just don't agree with the people campaigning to get the goverment to allow homosexuality to be taught in school..

Scroll to see replies

Reply 1
I think its because it's more acceptable to be gay. The figure for 10 years ago does not reflect those people who chose to stay in the closet. whereas now, most people come out. and i don't think it is a choice, it is from birth.
Reply 2
Weasel

homosexual crisis... I think not. People choose to be Gay and there is nothing wrong with being gay. You say it is a crisis that there are more gay people in Britain but why whats wrong with it ???
Reply 3
I think its due to the society we have today. More and more people are coming outta the closet. The media, especially TV are touching upon that taboo, all the soaps are incorporating gay characters. So it appears that homosexuality is an acceptable thing. If we turn the time back, by about 50 years, this sort of thing was percieved as wrong. Even the church is against homosexuals.
Reply 4
elpaw
I think its because it's more acceptable to be gay. The figure for 10 years ago does not reflect those people who chose to stay in the closet. whereas now, most people come out. and i don't think it is a choice, it is from birth.

But there is not scientific explanation to being Gay its as you say more acceptable and not a taboo subject.
Reply 5
You must be a twat if you call it a crisis. I for one will take no further part in this one. Help me sink it guys!
Reply 6
Hmm. maybe your topic subject could be a little more positive, it's not really a 'crisis' is it?

The figure rising is probably due to the fact that it's socially acceptable to be gay now and so homosexuals are more free to be open about their sexuality.

Of course it should be accepted and taught in schools, if everyone has more of an understanding about homosexuality then the number of homophobic crimes etc. should fall drastically.

Society is different now. There's no use denying it or trying to keep it from children in schools if they are going to encounter it in life. I'm not sure what you mean by teaching homosexuality in schools - i've certainly never been taught heterosexuality :wink: Anyway, I guess in terms of sex education.. should be taught so as not to alienate homosexual children as that is giving the message that it's not the norm or not acceptable to be gay - and to be honest, it is. So may as well embrace the change!
Reply 7
ZJuwelH
You must be a twat if you call it a crisis. I for one will take no further part in this one. Help me sink it guys!

Or a weasel.
Reply 8
hotnanoo
homosexual crisis... I think not. People choose to be Gay and there is nothing wrong with being gay. You say it is a crisis that there are more gay people in Britain but why whats wrong with it ???

I didn't coin the term! Homosexuality Crisis is what it is being called in some the social review publications!

They believe that certain social factors may be causing more people to adopt gay lifestyles. They don't see this as necessarily a problem, but they are look for reason WHY there is so many more gay people. They call it the Homosexuality Crisis.
Reply 9
ZJuwelH

Like I said I didn't coin the term so shut it matey. You are calling the sociologists that invented the term twats not me.
Reply 10
Weasel
I didn't coin the term! Homosexuality Crisis is what it is being called in some the social review publications!

They believe that certain social factors may be causing more people to adopt gay lifestyles. They don't see this as necessarily a problem, but they are look for reason WHY there is so many more gay people. They call it the Homosexuality Crisis.

okay okay......
Why more gay people, I hate to say this and am probably wrong but its like a fashion isn't it or a fad people want to check the limits of their sexuality not nowing whether they are truly gay or not. The stereotypical gay lifestyle may also play a part in this. What do you think ?
Reply 11
Weasel
Like I said I didn't coin the term so shut it matey. You are calling the sociologists that invented the term twats not me.

okay ladies put you handbags away
*shield face so as to not get hit by a swinging handbag*
Reply 12
Hmmm, well here's my stance on things.

Homosexuality seems to be a naturally occurring phenomena. For instance, I believed homosexual behaviour has been observed in dolphin and orang-utan populations.

Obviously, animals, which don’t hold concepts about choosing their sexuality, show that people don't actively choose to be gay. So, I think the theory about people 'choosing to be gay' is somewhat untrue, maybe not in all cases though.

I think however, the concept of people choosing to realise they're gay is a different matter entirely.

In days gone by where homosexuality was unheard of, people are unlikely to single themselves out as being so, when they actually may of have been. Today however, it's a completely different situation. Being gay is not only a sexuality, it's also a lifestyle, and an identity, with numerous prominent figures to look up to.

I do think that people tend to section themselves in society all to easily. 'Coming out' is such a big thing nowadays, once you've 'Come out the closet' (and all the other various clichés), and people regard you as being gay, there is a point of no return. You can't ever be anything else.

In terms of teaching homosexuality as part of sex education at school, I think it should be acknowledged. It seems silly to leave children with questions about aspects of sex when this may be the only time in their life when they receive factual education and not a compendium of opinions and myths.

If you're told that one thing is *right*, and you find that you, or others are not *right*, or at least you, or they are not acknowledged as being *right* then it'll lead to lack of understanding and homophobia.
Reply 13
fionah
Hmm. maybe your topic subject could be a little more positive, it's not really a 'crisis' is it?

The figure rising is probably due to the fact that it's socially acceptable to be gay now and so homosexuals are more free to be open about their sexuality.

Of course it should be accepted and taught in schools, if everyone has more of an understanding about homosexuality then the number of homophobic crimes etc. should fall drastically.

Society is different now. There's no use denying it or trying to keep it from children in schools if they are going to encounter it in life. I'm not sure what you mean by teaching homosexuality in schools - i've certainly never been taught heterosexuality :wink: Anyway, I guess in terms of sex education.. should be taught so as not to alienate homosexual children as that is giving the message that it's not the norm or not acceptable to be gay - and to be honest, it is. So may as well embrace the change!

Government Section 28 rule, which bans the promotion of homosexuality by local councils. This includes teaching any aspects of homosexuality in schools. It doesn't mean teaching pupils to be gay, its probably more to do with being taught about homosexuality in sex education.

Which I disagree with because it would make it seem like it is a natural alternative lifestyle for people to adopt when they get older. This might further excacerbate the 'homosexuality crisis'.

I agree with these quotes:

"The government's position is that children in schools should be protected from inappropriate materials "

Lord Rooker

"The vast majority of parents do not want homosexuality promoted in schools "

Baroness Blatch

http://news.bbc.co.uk/2/hi/uk_news/politics/2915213.stm
Reply 14
Who cares?! The way I see it, other peoples sexuality has nothing to do with me, its none of my business, I just don't care because there's no reason for me to do so.

So why do you care? Unless you have something against gay people although you have made it fairly clear you do not so why honestly why does it bother you how many people are gay? Its not immoral or wrong and to be honest its not any of your business either whether people are attracted to the same sex or the opposite sex.
Reply 15
Weasel

This is an intellectual discusion only, which means no immature childishness, homophobia or hatefulness towards the gay community. Just to point that out, because it is not acceptable and I don't like hatred towards people for what they are, even though i'm not gay.

I was just wondering what people think should be done about the homosexuality crisis? Figures suggest that the estimated gay population in Britain has increased 3 fold since 1993. There was approximately 3 540 000 gay people in Britain in 1993, in 2003 this figure has shot up to an astonishing 10 620 000!

The gay community of Britain has risen from approximately 3 and a half million to 10 and a half million in ten years!

Why is this? What is the cause? Is it because homosexuality has become more openly acceptable? Are more people 'chosing' to become gay or are more people being born gay? What is the explanation for the increse I don't understand it.

What should be done about it? Does anything need to be done about it at all or is it okay if there is a larger gay community. Should government policies be set-up to tackle the homosexuality crisis or doesn't it matter? Maybe it is because more people from a young age are seeing gay people on TV and it is becoming more acceptable.

Personally I don't think homosexuality should be taught in schools and the government clause should remain in place because it might further exacebate the homosexuality crisis. In other words, more people might grow up and become gay if they are taught about it in school. I'm not homophobic at all but I just don't agree with the people campaigning to get the goverment to allow homosexuality to be taught in school.

Crisis, what crisis? You state you're not at all homophobic and then proceed to refer to the "homosexual crisis" and "what should be done about it?". This is exactly what a homophobe would say, yet you claim not to be one...

Why is it a crisis? Why should it not be taught about in school, and moreso, why does it matter if people "grow up and become gay" as you put it? Why is this to be avoided against (it's not like we need everyone to marry and have kids; the human population's rising far too fast as it is if we all intend to remain on Earth)? I fail to see the reasons behind your opinions, perhaps some insight into the thinking behind your statements would be useful... :rolleyes:

Regards,
Reply 16
Albion
Who cares?! The way I see it, other peoples sexuality has nothing to do with me, its none of my business, I just don't care because there's no reason for me to do so.

So why do you care? Unless you have something against gay people although you have made it fairly clear you do not so why honestly why does it bother you how many people are gay? Its not immoral or wrong and to be honest its not any of your business either whether people are attracted to the same sex or the opposite sex.

Well i'm not really. Well I am a bit because if the current trend continues we could see an almost total gay population in Britain by 2050 where heterosexuals are the minority! This will surely have implications for society as a whole. I was reading some Social Review research papers recently published by sociologists in college today about this 'Homosexual Crisis' (they were from new right conservative sociologists) and they are looking for reasons to explain it and whether government should do anything about it.

It just got me thinking really that this could be a future problem for society as a whole. I mean, say if 50% of the population become homosexual in 2015. That would mean that, say, if you yourself had two children, then the likehood is (on probability) that one of your children would turn out to be gay. Would you be okay with this?

In other words are there some kind of subversive social forces (like the media and stuff) making people gay by being more liberal about homosexuality? Like the gay kiss on Coronation Street, Brian from Big Brother, the gay Irish one who won Teen BB you know what I mean things like that. I don't mean an underhand conspiracy plot or anything like that lol. But some people see it on TV and say oh I might decide to be gay. Maybe thats what causes the increase. The moral fabric of society and traditional values are being eroded, which may lead to all sorts of social problems. And a rise in homosexual population is just the begining (not that homosexuality is a social prblem, but there may be all sorts of problems to come because it is an indication that the moral fabric of society is being destroyed by something).
Reply 17
Weasel
Well i'm not really. Well I am a bit because if the current trend continues we could see an almost total gay population in Britain by 2050 where heterosexuals are the minority! This will surely have implications for society as a whole. I was reading some Social Review research papers recently published by sociologists in college today about this 'Homosexual Crisis' (they were from new right conservative sociologists) and they are looking for reasons to explain it and whether government should do anything about it.

It just got me thinking really that this could be a future problem for society as a whole. I mean, say if 50% of the population become homosexual in 2015. That would mean that, say, if you yourself had two children, then the likehood is (on probability) that one of your children would turn out to be gay. Would you be okay with this?

In other words are there some kind of subversive social forces (like the media and stuff) making people gay by being more liberal about homosexuality? Like the gay kiss on Coronation Street, Brian from Big Brother, the gay Irish one who won Teen BB you know what I mean things like that. I don't mean an underhand conspiracy plot or anything like that lol. But some people see it on TV and say oh I might decide to be gay. Maybe thats what causes the increase. The moral fabric of society and traditional values are being eroded, which may lead to all sorts of social problems. And a rise in homosexual population is just the begining.
Reply 18
Weasel

In other words are there some kind of subversive social forces (like the media and stuff) making people gay by being more liberal about homosexuality? Like the gay kiss on Coronation Street, Brian from Big Brother, the gay Irish one who won Teen BB you know what I mean things like that. I don't mean an underhand conspiracy plot or anything like that lol. But some people see it on TV and say oh I might decide to be gay. Maybe thats what causes the increase. The moral fabric of society and traditional values are being eroded, which may lead to all sorts of social problems. And a rise in homosexual population is just the begining.

Does it really matter, cause by that time you will be a about 60 odd, so do you really need to worry about some gay 18 year old making passess at you?
Reply 19
Weasel

Are you the BNP or something, you view homosexuality as a negative why?

Latest

Trending

Trending