Intellectual discusion: The homosexuality crisis?

Watch
This discussion is closed.
Toyosi
Badges: 0
Rep:
?
Report 16 years ago
Might just have been my school but wasn't sex education about explaining how babies are made and trying to prevent STIs etc... It wasn't exactly heterosexual, more the facts of life. I can't really see any point in homosexual sex education and can't really see what angle it would have anyway.
Willla2
Report 16 years ago
I really dont think this guy has anything against homosexuality. From reading a couple of his posts, he seems to have a problem with the "homosexual lifestyle", and this in indeed understandable. Personally, I dont see homosexuality as "wrong" but I do get annoyed at the stereotypical "gay" lifestyle people portray. As i've said before, some people go around saying "Equal rights for everyone, don't distinguish me from heterosexuals" and yet at the same time parade about in a very stereotypically gay fashion saying "look at me, I'm gay, single me out, I want to be different".

People are right when they say that homosexual numbers arent gonna increase as they have in the past 10 years, things I going to level off for sure. But what I would like to see society do is adopt an "equality" stance on sexuality. The sooner we adopt "homosexuality" as normal, the better. The problem was the "gay lifestyle" is that it suggests that gay people don't want to be considered "normal".
I only know 2 gay people, a perfectly happy couple, who have been together for years. But what I think is important about them is that they act like a perfectly natural couple. They aren't loud and all "look at me I'm gay". They are perfectly nice people to be around - everyone I know gets on with them really well. It's hard to describe, but it all looks very "natural" whereas the typical gay lifestyle looks to me to be one big peformance.
ThornsnRoses
Badges: 1
Rep:
?
Report 16 years ago
(Original post by Weasel)

This is an intellectual discusion only, which means no immature childishness, homophobia or hatefulness towards the gay community. Just to point that out, because it is not acceptable and I don't like hatred towards people for what they are, even though i'm not gay.

I was just wondering what people think should be done about the homosexuality crisis? Figures suggest that the estimated gay population in Britain has increased 3 fold since 1993. There was approximately 3 540 000 gay people in Britain in 1993, in 2003 this figure has shot up to an astonishing 10 620 000!

The gay community of Britain has risen from approximately 3 and a half million to 10 and a half million in ten years!

Why is this? What is the cause? Is it because homosexuality has become more openly acceptable? Are more people 'chosing' to become gay or are more people being born gay? What is the explanation for the increse I don't understand it.

What should be done about it? Does anything need to be done about it at all or is it okay if there is a larger gay community. Should government policies be set-up to tackle the homosexuality crisis or doesn't it matter? Maybe it is because more people from a young age are seeing gay people on TV and it is becoming more acceptable.

Personally I don't think homosexuality should be taught in schools and the government clause should remain in place because it might further exacebate the homosexuality crisis. In other words, more people might grow up and become gay if they are taught about it in school. I'm not homophobic at all but I just don't agree with the people campaigning to get the goverment to allow homosexuality to be taught in school..
the figure 10 500 000 seems wrong...coz we have a pop of about 60 000 000 and gay peoplep make up usually 10% of the pop. so it should be around 6 000 000 not the figure you think it is. Unless loads of gay people have sought aslyum here from persecution in their countries because of it. Be still it seems and unrealistic figure, a lot of people hide their homosexuality. i think 3 million is a more realistic figure.

Anyway just a thought
roseonthegrave
Badges:
Report 16 years ago
(Original post by Weasel)

This is an intellectual discusion only, which means no immature childishness, homophobia or hatefulness towards the gay community. Just to point that out, because it is not acceptable and I don't like hatred towards people for what they are, even though i'm not gay.

I was just wondering what people think should be done about the homosexuality crisis? Figures suggest that the estimated gay population in Britain has increased 3 fold since 1993. There was approximately 3 540 000 gay people in Britain in 1993, in 2003 this figure has shot up to an astonishing 10 620 000!

The gay community of Britain has risen from approximately 3 and a half million to 10 and a half million in ten years!

Why is this? What is the cause? Is it because homosexuality has become more openly acceptable? Are more people 'chosing' to become gay or are more people being born gay? What is the explanation for the increse I don't understand it.

What should be done about it? Does anything need to be done about it at all or is it okay if there is a larger gay community. Should government policies be set-up to tackle the homosexuality crisis or doesn't it matter? Maybe it is because more people from a young age are seeing gay people on TV and it is becoming more acceptable.

Personally I don't think homosexuality should be taught in schools and the government clause should remain in place because it might further exacebate the homosexuality crisis. In other words, more people might grow up and become gay if they are taught about it in school. I'm not homophobic at all but I just don't agree with the people campaigning to get the goverment to allow homosexuality to be taught in school..
So, does this mean that describing homosexuality as a "crisis" isn't in the least homophobic or hateful?
Weejimmie
Rep:
?
Report 16 years ago
Is there any evidence at all that the number of people who practise homosexual acts has increased, rather than the number of people who say they have practised homosexual acts?
As far as I know no-one- except other boys at Eton and such places- ever taught homosexuality at school. There is a law in the UK which forbids the "promotion" of homosexuality in schools and no-one seems to know quite what constitutes promoting homosexuality so they don't mention it. Whether children need to be taught about the practical aspects, and whether they ought to be is another matter. Given that- by definition- boys know more about the bodies of other boys and girls know more about all girls' bodies and how they work there is probably less need to teach people homosexual practises than heterosexual ones.
As we have found other methods of producing children than the- very enjoyable- old-fashioned conventional one, and as there are rather more people in the world than it seems to be able to support at present, so there is no great need to make a lot more children anyway, I don't think it matters whether people engage in homosexual acts or not. It is entirely up to them as long as no-one else objects, and I don't think there is any objection on moral grounds.
Toyosi
Rep:
?
Report 16 years ago
Gotta say, i find really camp men (think Marco from Big Brother) annoying as hell. Campness isn't a requirement of being gay - i realise some people are and thats fine but a lot of really camp people seem like they're putting it on, conforming to their own stereotype. It seems a bit fake is all.
Toyosi
Rep:
?
Report 16 years ago
(Original post by roseonthegrave)
So, does this mean that describing homosexuality as a "crisis" isn't in the least homophobic or hateful?
I guess if there's less people procreating that could be seen as a crisis???
Mr_H
Rep:
?
Report 16 years ago
(Original post by elpaw)
for the same reason you can choose to have your child taken out of "straight" sex ed classes
surely that would indicate that she wished her child out of ALL sex ed classes???
Mr_H
Rep:
?
Report 16 years ago
(Original post by vienna95)
it depends what you mean by teaching 'it'. teaching the biological background to homosexuality is perfectly acceptable, but i dont believe homosexual sex education is. at the very least i should have the right to remove my child from any sex ed classes where homosexual practices are being discussed.
how can you ask for your child to be removed from 'homosexual' discussions, surely, if nothing else, it would help your children to understand those who are in that position?? no amount of education on the subject could pursuade someone to be gay, or straight.... but it could help people of any sexual orintation understand each other....

and should the subject of discussion in the classes not be homosexuality, but sexuality in general, as a whole: in the same way that religious education is compulsory to gain a better knowledge of other races, should 'sex education' encompass 'sexuality education' discussing and gaining knowledge so that everyone can live with mutual respect for each other????
Vienna
Badges: 12
Rep:
?
Report 16 years ago
(Original post by Scottus_Mus)
I disagree with you there! I think that if we were to educate people about homosexuality we'd have less of a stigma attached to it. I also think that if more help and guidance had been available to me I'd have not had to come out so early and do it on my own. I think that it is something that should be taught to stop some of the myths of homosexuality.
i dont want my 9, 11, 13 yr old son being taught how grown men pleasure each other. firstly, because i dont believe it has any bearing on the biological aspect which is the most important since it quashes ideas that homosexuality is some how a sick disease or evil in anyway. secondly, because I as a parent have the right and responsibility to teach my children what I like, especially in regard to reproduction and sexuality. and thirdly, if i was religious, it may be in contradiction to my and probably the faith of my child.
Mr_H
Rep:
?
Report 16 years ago
i dont want my 9, 11, 13 yr old son being taught how grown men pleasure each other. firstly, because i dont believe it has any bearing on the biological aspect which is the most important since it quashes ideas that homosexuality is some how a sick disease or evil in anyway. secondly, because I as a parent have the right and responsibility to teach my children what I like, especially in regard to reproduction and sexuality. and thirdly, if i was religious, it may be in contradiction to my and probably the faith of my child.
fair enough.... but i dont see how you can distinguish between teaching of heterosexual and homosexual activities.... both are as valid and relevant of each other
Vienna
Rep:
?
Report 16 years ago
(Original post by Mr_Homosexual)
surely that would indicate that she wished her child out of ALL sex ed classes???
all sex ed classes that put things like scat, rimming, anal sex and oral sex before the aspect of procreation. homosexual sex has no bearing on procreation and thus, in my eyes, has no place in sex ed.
randdom
Badges: 20
Rep:
?
Report 16 years ago
i dont want my 9, 11, 13 yr old son being taught how grown men pleasure each other. firstly, because i dont believe it has any bearing on the biological aspect which is the most important since it quashes ideas that homosexuality is some how a sick disease or evil in anyway. secondly, because I as a parent have the right and responsibility to teach my children what I like, especially in regard to reproduction and sexuality.
If there was homosexual edcation it would not take that form just as sex education at the moment doesn't give instrucytions on how to have great sex. It would be very appropriate to just include homosexual relationships aswell because it is more likely to be similar because it is about the emotional aspects and how to protect yourself. These things are going to be similar.
Vienna
Rep:
?
Report 16 years ago
(Original post by Mr_Homosexual)
fair enough.... but i dont see how you can distinguish between teaching of heterosexual and homosexual activities.... both are as valid and relevant of each other
heterosexuality can be delivered from an aspect of procreation and reproduction.
SciFi25
Rep:
?
Report 16 years ago
I dont think it could be called a 'crisis' as such, it may be a worry if that causes the birth rate to fall below the sustainable level.

The only thing that really annoys me about the media's portrayal of gay culture is that to be gay you have to sleep around. That is not true.
Mr_H
Rep:
?
Report 16 years ago
heterosexuality can be delivered from an aspect of procreation and reproduction.
but i doubt that by the time this issuse is dealt with (in year nine or ten at secondary school: with the child being 13-15) that they will be unaware of either sexuality, the practices of it, or the concept of 'sex for fun'...
Toyosi
Rep:
?
Report 16 years ago
Yeah, I agree. In fact I don't see why school needs to teach people about sexuality as such. It hasn't been doing so far and most people manage to figure it out, and most people are pretty much ok with gay people (or am I being naive??). Sure they may not understand it but how could you ever really understand unless you were gay - no amount of teaching would change that and even if it could i think parents should have more to do with it. You can't hand over every aspect of a childs education to the school system, parents have gotta do some stuff as well. My mum has never mentioned gayness either way but if you raise kids to be generally tolerant and compassionate then i think they'll get on fine with anything.
Scottus_Mus
Rep:
?
Report 16 years ago
I think if it were to be taught it should be at around 15 and 16 because I think that 9 is too young to be exposed to all details. But don't you think that sex education is meant to educate and that in the name of education basic should be taught.

I agree with the fact that children could be removed upon parental concern because that is everyone’s right and I imagine this would happen in only a minority of cases.

I just think that if it was taught in a more open environment in school there could be help available to young homosexuals without having a stigma attached to the subject, and without teachers having to pussy foot around the subject.
Vienna
Rep:
?
Report 16 years ago
(Original post by randdom)
If there was homosexual edcation it would not take that form just as sex education at the moment doesn't give instrucytions on how to have great sex. It would be very appropriate to just include homosexual relationships aswell because it is more likely to be similar because it is about the emotional aspects and how to protect yourself. These things are going to be similar.
gay sex is discussed. anal sex is discussed. oral sex is discussed. i believe they call it A Pause. the Lib Dems want it in Primary Schools and if its on the Curriculum you cant withdraw your child.
Mr_H
Rep:
?
Report 16 years ago
(Original post by Toyosi)
Yeah, I agree. In fact I don't see why school needs to teach people about sexuality as such. It hasn't been doing so far and most people manage to figure it out, and most people are pretty much ok with gay people (or am I being naive??). Sure they may not understand it but how could you ever really understand unless you were gay - no amount of teaching would change that and even if it could i think parents should have more to do with it. You can't hand over every aspect of a childs education to the school system, parents have gotta do some stuff as well. My mum has never mentioned gayness either way but if you raise kids to be generally tolerant and compassionate then i think they'll get on fine with anything.
but those children whom do not have parents that will teach their children to be tolerant (and there are more than you may expect), should the educational system not offer the facility for them to learn this this tollerance, both for themselves, and those around them??? :confused:
X
Back
to top
Latest
My Feed

See more of what you like on
The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

Personalise

Which of these would you use to help with making uni decisions?

Webinars (73)
12.33%
Virtual campus tours/open days (143)
24.16%
Live streaming events (51)
8.61%
Online AMAs/guest lectures (55)
9.29%
A uni comparison tool (138)
23.31%
An in-person event when available (132)
22.3%