Turn on thread page Beta

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by kildare)
    It's just become more socially acceptable to admit to it...
    i never found out whether these figures meant, homosexual, bi, straight but have had gay experiences, straight but turned gay etc.

ReputationRep:
    Can't see why figures even matter, why do people need to know/be concerned about other peoples sexuality.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by vienna95)
    not its not unfair. the states only interest is to have an intelligent and/or able workforce, whether its fair that one child has a better education, better parenting does not effect the states obligations to each
    A healty workforce is an asset to.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by kildare)
    It's just become more socially acceptable to admit to it...
    Well 20% of the people I know obviously don't think it's more acceptable. If they did they'd be "coming out" in droves.

The fact is that this 20% number is entirely ficticious.

ReputationRep:
    not its not unfair. the states only interest is to have an intelligent and/or able workforce, whether its fair that one child has a better education, better parenting does not effect the states obligations to each
    with todays moral code, isnt everyone equal? and more importantly, if we are such an evolved society, with the afore mentioned 'intelligent workforce' shouldn't it be an obligation of the whole to help provide for the few whom need it?

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Howard)
    Well 20% of the people I know obviously don't think it's more acceptable. If they did they'd be "coming out" in droves.

The fact is that this 20% number is entirely ficticious.
    I was referring to the comment that the number had 'increased'. I never tried to put forth any kind of percentage. 20% would suprise me as well.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Mr_Homosexual)
    with todays moral code, isnt everyone equal? and more importantly, if we are such an evolved society, with the afore mentioned 'intelligent workforce' shouldn't it be an obligation of the whole to help provide for the few whom need it?
    we have equality of rights, but whereas the state can provide an equal standard of education to the population, it should not be burdened with the ultimate responsibility of raising a child.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by laboritesmasher)
    I think there are more homosexuals because more babies are being born mutated. If you've noticed, cancer rates are higher too. There are all sorts of chemical pollutants in the air (so much so that the ozone is being depleted), all sorts of hormones in our food (which is the reason young girls are reaching puberty at younger ages), all sorts of power lines and radiation from everything from computers to microwave ovens. In a way living here is much like living in Chernobyl, and you know how many babies are born with birth defects there.

Gays often say that they are born that way, and I agree with them. I view homosexuality as something similar to down's syndrome, it's a disability/birth defect people are born with. It's an aberration, and people born homosexual are mutants. Just like kids with down's syndrome, they are mistakes as well as freaks.

I think pregnant women living around so many power lines, using machines that put out radiation, eating food with all these weird chemicals and preservatives, and doing everything else that comes with living in such a technological society is causing babies to be born with birth defects. The most common birth defect is homosexuality.
    How bloody dare you be so obnoxious, arrogant and ignorant? This is supposed to be an intellectual discussion not a forum for you to voice your homophobic views. Being gay isn't a disability and we are neither mistakes nor freaks.

I'll also ask you to apologise for the same remarks about people with Down’s syndrome! I can tolerate homophobic attacks but not attacks on the mentally handicapped. I think you should be disgusted in yourself. If this was a wise crack at I joke I think it was a pretty sick, sad and pathetic attempt.

ReputationRep:
    I think there are more homosexuals because more babies are being born mutated. If you've noticed, cancer rates are higher too. There are all sorts of chemical pollutants in the air (so much so that the ozone is being depleted), all sorts of hormones in our food (which is the reason young girls are reaching puberty at younger ages), all sorts of power lines and radiation from everything from computers to microwave ovens. In a way living here is much like living in Chernobyl, and you know how many babies are born with birth defects there.

Gays often say that they are born that way, and I agree with them. I view homosexuality as something similar to down's syndrome, it's a disability/birth defect people are born with. It's an aberration, and people born homosexual are mutants. Just like kids with down's syndrome, they are mistakes as well as freaks.

I think pregnant women living around so many power lines, using machines that put out radiation, eating food with all these weird chemicals and preservatives, and doing everything else that comes with living in such a technological society is causing babies to be born with birth defects. The most common birth defect is homosexuality.
    Most people will automatically reject that view because it's not PC, and probably call you an ignorant/stupid/obnoxious bigot/homophobe/idiot for even suggesting it.

EDIT: ^ What did I tell you ^
    Beat me too it!

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by calumc)
    Most people will automatically reject that view because it's not PC, and probably call you an ignorant/stupid/obnoxious bigot/homophobe/idiot for even suggesting it.
    I don't reject his idea because it’s not PC! I reject it because I think he could have made his point in a more tactful way without causing offence or slating the homosexual community as genetic freaks.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Scottus_Mus)
    I don't reject his idea because it’s not PC! I reject it because I think he could have made his point in a more tactful way without causing offence or slating the homosexual community as genetic freaks.
    And you reject him "causing offence or slating the homosexual community as genetic freaks".... because it's not PC. Not so long ago it would have been considered okay to do exactly that, but now it's not politically correct. Unfortunately it has become okay to insult majority/stronger groups, such as tv adverts which make men out to be stupid.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by calumc)
    And you reject him "causing offence or slating the homosexual community as genetic freaks".... because it's not PC. Not so long ago it would have been considered okay to do exactly that, but now it's not politically correct. Unfortunately it has become okay to insult majority/stronger groups, such as tv adverts which make men out to be stupid.
    Centuries ago it would have been ok for me to beat a black man in the street for no reason but in todays society it is not acceptable. Just as it isn't acceptable to call homosexuals or suffers of Down's Syndrome mistakes or freaks.

Maybe now it is politically correct to not call homosexuals genetic freaks! Would you prefer it to be otherwise? Would you like society to regress and bring back the word ****** into mass operation becasue it used to happen?

Victimisation or derogatory remarks about gender, race, age, sexuality or dissability are just not acceptable in today's society. For me it has nothing to do with Political Correctness it's about morality and leading by example against bigots, homophobes, misogynists and racists.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Scottus_Mus)
    Would you like society to regress and bring back the word ****** into mass operation becasue it used to happen?
    not to take away anything from your point, but it is used on mass. by blacks on the street and in the mainstream media. ****** is a racial slur and is not acceptable at all from anyone. the double standards in this area are seriously damaging race relations in my eyes. i cant imagine gay men go around calling themselves poofs, ******s or the like and then expect a straight man to treat the term as unacceptable.

ReputationRep:

sorry? :eek: you really were born in the dark ages! or at least brought up through them.... you cannot define those different to you as 'freaks' or 'mutants'. if you trace back far enough, all of the human race is a 'freak' or a 'mutant' spawned from apes!

another point, homosexuality is not that recent: it has been around for longer than most people seem to appreciate (hence the apparent need for laws against it during history....) so how is the radiation and modern living creating these 'defects' if they were present before????

and as for the blatant assault upon those with down's syndrome :eek:

are you the sort of person who would rather have all people perfect, all the same: as you want them? cus if you are, that to me sounds reminicent of a deceased, fascist dictator... you know, the one who wanted blonde hair, blue eyes and started WW II ?!?!?!?!?

ReputationRep:
    not to take away anything from your point, but it is used on mass. by blacks on the street and in the mainstream media. ****** is a racial slur and is not acceptable at all from anyone. the double standards in this area are seriously damaging race relations in my eyes. i cant imagine gay men go around calling themselves poofs, ******s or the like and then expect a straight man to treat the term as unacceptable.
    i walk around calling myself all of those things, and i am perfectly fine when str8 ppl do the same: its when malice begins to creap in and they are used as verbal abuse that people start getting offended..... :rolleyes:

ReputationRep:
    I agree! I hear people all the time saying 'Yo ******!' to each other. They find it acceptable to call each other ****** where as I imagine if me (a white person) were to say 'Yo ******' I'd be shouted down and condemned as a racist. It is wrong that society does have double standards and I think it is down to us to try and combat them.

ReputationRep:
    we have equality of rights, but whereas the state can provide an equal standard of education to the population, it should not be burdened with the ultimate responsibility of raising a child.
    when the parent is unable to raise and educate the child in the ways a parent should, should there not be the chance for the child to gain this education elsewhere?

ReputationRep:
    i walk around calling myself all of those things, and i am perfectly fine when str8 ppl do the same: its when malice begins to creap in and they are used as verbal abuse that people start getting offended..... :rolleyes:
    You see some of my friends do that but I activly discourage it! It can seem funny at times and you accept it as a joke but I think it is a double standard. I refrain from it becasue if becomes socially acceptable for your friends to do it it should be acceptable for strangers to do it.

Words like 'poof', 'nancy', '******' etc. should be wiped out in all social contexts.

ReputationRep:
    if you refer to yourself in public under those terms you cannot expect other members of the public to treat you differently. why should you be offended by the same name you respect yourself enough to use.

ReputationRep:
    if you refer to yourself in public under those terms you cannot expect other members of the public to treat you differently. why should you be offended by the same name you respect yourself enough to use.
    in the same way that you could be offended if someone said 'bloody women' in a derogatory manner... if its used in a general context, i'm not...

Turn on thread page Beta
TSR Support Team

We have a brilliant team of more than 60 Support Team members looking after discussions on The Student Room, helping to make it a fun, safe and useful place to hang out.

Updated: August 5, 2004
Poll
Who is most responsible for your success at university
Useful resources

The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Write a reply...
Hide
Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.