How hard are C4 and M1 in comparison to C3?

Watch
peanutbutternjelly
Badges: 1
Rep:
?
Report Thread starter 12 years ago
Okay, I suppose "hard" is subjective, but I really wanted to ask this. Of my three subjects, Maths is probably my weakest. I SAR C3 yesterday and I think I've done quite badly - judging by the unofficial mark scheme, I'm guessing about 59% (maybe slightly higher, I was pretty tough on myself when looking at the markscheme). I'm so worried because I really need an A at A Level. At AS I only got 249/300 - 82 in C1, 92 in C2 and 75 in S1. I can either retake C1 or just work extremely hard for C4 and M1. Have only done a bit of C4 so far so I'm not sure how I feel about it, and will start M1 stuff next week. Is it true that C4 is much easier than C3?any advice would be appreciated because I'm so worried
logic123
Badges: 0
Rep:
?
Report 12 years ago
If im honest wit you m8, The pure math exams dont seem to be to much trouble.Edexcel has a new exam officer for mechanics which is making these exams a *****
wanderlust.xx
Badges: 18
Rep:
?
Report 12 years ago
(Original post by peanutbutternjelly)
Okay, I suppose "hard" is subjective, but I really wanted to ask this. Of my three subjects, Maths is probably my weakest. I SAR C3 yesterday and I think I've done quite badly - judging by the unofficial mark scheme, I'm guessing about 59% (maybe slightly higher, I was pretty tough on myself when looking at the markscheme). I'm so worried because I really need an A at A Level. At AS I only got 249/300 - 82 in C1, 92 in C2 and 75 in S1. I can either retake C1 or just work extremely hard for C4 and M1. Have only done a bit of C4 so far so I'm not sure how I feel about it, and will start M1 stuff next week. Is it true that C4 is much easier than C3?any advice would be appreciated because I'm so worried
Uhmmm, to be honest with you, no. Not at all. Some questions in C4 can be a right pain up the arse, really.

Most people consider C4 to be much harder than any previous modules.
Sh4w
Badges: 9
Rep:
?
Report 12 years ago
In my opinion M1 is easier than C3, and C4 is a bit harder, but I don't think it's in another league or anything.
soul02
Badges: 8
Rep:
?
Report 12 years ago

Well my friend said C4 is easier than c3 only because she does't like trig and she is quite clever to be fair!
BillV3
Badges: 14
Rep:
?
Report 12 years ago
I can't speak for your exam board as I'm on OCR MEI, but from what I hear C4 is very hard, or it can be, my friend who sat the paper on Tuesday said the course is hard but this years paper was nice. As for M1, I'll start by saying if your college offers you a choice of S2 or M1 you really chose the right one, I quite like M1, a few tricky bits here and there but compared to S2 it's a really nice module, S2 tries to trip you up everywhere it seems. So I'd say C4 is about the same as C3 and a little more tricky in places, and according to the 'level' of the module from OCR MEI and I'm guessing others as they try to keep it the same M1 is on a par with C1 and C2, which I'd agree with personally.
Homospone
Rep:
?
Report 12 years ago
There's hardly any difference between C3 and C4. It's all subjective.

I actually find that C2 is easier than C1, and C3 is easier than C2.
soul02
Badges: 8
Rep:
?
Report 12 years ago
(Original post by Homospone)

Well c2 jan 09 was ****!! c3 is still harder than c1 and c2
nineteeneightynine
Badges: 2
Rep:
?
Report 12 years ago
I found that C4 was a lot easier than C3, and a lot of people in my class and in the year above and below agree...however I guess is individual strengths and weaknesses that really makes the difference.
fn_101
Badges: 10
Rep:
?
Report 12 years ago
I sort of know what you mean, though I've been told C4 has vectors and is pretty tricky, but some people say its easier than C3. I did C3 yesterday too, think I got roughly the same grade as you think and my AS was similar (247 ums). Only thing is I got 72, 95 and 80 in C1, C2 and S1 respectively so I really should retake C1 ( I need to meet a 3A offer too!).....but I'd say wait till the results.....follow through marks are your friend!
But keep trying really hard with C4 and M1 just incase!
giran
Rep:
?
Report 12 years ago
C4 is alot harder than C3 in the terms of, that if you screw up a little. It can really cost you big marks. Especially since most of them are integration and some differentiation. They carry like almost 6+ marks per question.

Also the vectors are very confusing if you don't get it first time around. They extend in the 3rd dimension and you usually have to work out where they might intersect, what acute angles to do lines form and sometimes an area of 3-4 points. In some ways an extension from M1 but its alot more challenging imo.
RMKISTHEBEST
Badges: 3
Rep:
?
Report 12 years ago
(Original post by Homospone)

Poor attempt at fishing.
fL3X
Rep:
?
Report 12 years ago
If I was you, I'd retake S1 and C3 in June to guarantee the A in maths. As for M1, if it's going to be your first time doing Mechanics, I'm going to be honest and say you might struggle because it has few tricks and you will need to spend a lot of time on it. So retake these modules incase you dont get A in M1.

Good Luckkkk
leeming
Rep:
?
Report 12 years ago
i wouldnt know about the C4 exam.. i never sat it :P .. but the M1 exam cant remember if i thought it was hard or not, but i did come out wi a good mark (high B i think it was), that was before i knuckled down cos i needed an A (i obviously didnt get that A since i didnt do C4 lol but thats another story)
dchatterjee1
Report 12 years ago
I don't know about C4..aint sat it...M1 IS HARDER THAN C3!!!!!!!!!
dchatterjee1
Report 12 years ago
(Original post by logic123)
If im honest wit you m8, The pure math exams dont seem to be to much trouble.Edexcel has a new exam officer for mechanics which is making these exams a *****
Mechanics is even harder now
giran
Rep:
?
Report 12 years ago
Anyone else sitting C4 on monday?
hhhhhhhh
Report 12 years ago
I find M1 harder than C3, but that's just because I don't get on with Mechanics. I quite like Core maths.
PeanutButterJellyTime
Badges: 1
Rep:
?
Report 12 years ago
OP stole my name :eyeball:

Well M1 is usually quite straight foward but this years Jan paper was pretty hard. argh. C4 is hard only due to Integration.
giran
Rep:
?
Report 12 years ago
(Original post by PeanutButterJellyTime)
OP stole my name :eyeball:

Well M1 is usually quite straight foward but this years Jan paper was pretty hard. argh. C4 is hard only due to Integration.
Spoiler:
Show
http://i297.photobucket.com/albums/mm226/kanengrandma/*****-stole-my-fish-small-1.jpg
X

Quick Reply

Attached files
Write a reply...
Back
to top
Latest
My Feed

See more of what you like on
The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

Personalise

What support do you need with your UCAS application?

I need help researching unis (29)
13.55%
I need help researching courses (14)
6.54%
I need help with filling out the application form (9)
4.21%
I need help with my personal statement (90)
42.06%
I need help with understanding how to make my application stand out (52)
24.3%
I need help with something else (let us know in the thread!) (4)
1.87%
I'm feeling confident about my application and don't need any help at the moment (16)
7.48%

Watched Threads

Latest
My Feed