Turn on thread page Beta

Liberty and drugs watch

Announcements

ReputationRep:
    I was gonna reply to that post on drugs and legalising cannabis but decided I'd make it a new post altogether. I'm personally for the legalisation of cannabis although I respect why people don't agree with this.

However I really don't agree with the people who are saying yeah keep cannabis illegal and ban tobacco while you're at it, and alcohol can go as well. If you don't like drink, fine then don't drink, same for smoking, but if other people want to do that then its fine, they own their bodies and can put into them what they like. With stuff like passive smoking fair enough it shouldn't damage other peoples health. But this is a free country man, if people want to take something they should be able to without being dictated to about what they can and cannot use. I don't smoke but if the government tried to make smoking illegal I'd fight it every step of the way just because they are restricting my personal choice of what I can have access to or not and they don't have the slightest right to do that.

I suppose I have the same opinion on cannabis, I've never smoked it myself, but if I want to then I will as it is completely my decision and my body, its not hurting anyone.

Just my opinion, what does everyone else think?

ReputationRep:
    The government would certainly benefit from it being legal, at least in terms of tax-revenue. They would also have more control (who's selling and buying).

ReputationRep:
    To quote myself (how egotistical) from a recent General Studies essay I had to write, here's my conclusion:

In conclusion, I am pro-cannabis legalisation. The arguments for pro-legalisation outweigh those against, which can all be addressed with simple steps. Cannabis should be strictly regulated, in the same style as cigarettes and alcohol. By this I mean that it should only be available to those over 18, it should be prohibited in public places, it should be taxed and there should be frequent warnings just as there are with cigarettes and alcohol of the potentially damaging side effects. By regulating the drug in this way, the government would have extra tax revenues that would pay for any extra strain placed on to the NHS. Sufferers of pain would have a source of pain relief, making their day-to-day lives easier. The bottom line is, I believe the choice should lay with the person himself or herself. If they benefit from the side effects, either through enjoyment or reduced pain, then they should be allowed to use the drug, whilst being aware of the damage they may be doing to themselves.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Alec)
    To quote myself (how egotistical) from a recent General Studies essay I had to write, here's my conclusion:

In conclusion, I am pro-cannabis legalisation. The arguments for pro-legalisation outweigh those against, which can all be addressed with simple steps. Cannabis should be strictly regulated, in the same style as cigarettes and alcohol. By this I mean that it should only be available to those over 18, it should be prohibited in public places, it should be taxed and there should be frequent warnings just as there is with cigarettes and alcohol of the potentially damaging side effects. By regulating this drug in this way, the government would have extra tax revenues that would pay for any extra strain placed on to the NHS. Sufferers of pain would have a source of pain relief, making their day-to-day lives easier. The bottom line is, I believe the choice should lay with the person himself or herself. If they benefit from the side effects, either through enjoyment or reduced pain, then they should be allowed to use the drug, whilst being aware of the damage they may be doing to themselves.
    Yes I agree with all of that, well said.

University open days

• University of Warwick
    Undergraduate Open Days Undergraduate
    Sat, 20 Oct '18
  • University of Sheffield
    Undergraduate Open Days Undergraduate
    Sat, 20 Oct '18
  • Edge Hill University
    Faculty of Health and Social Care Undergraduate
    Sat, 20 Oct '18
Poll
Who is most responsible for your success at university
Applying to university
Uni match

Your perfect course is here

Let our match making tool match you up with your ideal uni

Make your revision easier

Study Help rules and posting guidelines

Groups associated with this forum:

View associated groups

The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Write a reply...
Hide
Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.