Turn on thread page Beta

Choice between three unis: help me please!!!!!!! watch

Announcements

ReputationRep:
    Hi everybody!!!! I'm a French student (don't boo me please lol) and I've received offers from Aberystwyth, Aberdeen, Royal Holloway, Reading and Queen Mary UL, for a Politics and International Relations degree. But I'm bloody hesitating between Aberystwyth, Royal Holloway and Reading.
    The first seems to have an outstanding Politics department, the second has an overall reputation of excellence, is close to London Town and the airports (practical when you live in Bordeaux) and I've heard the last was a great deal... So please I need a WIDE WIDE help!!!!! What would you chose? Thanks

ReputationRep:
    I don't know much about that course, but I live in Reading, so if you want any info on the town rather than the uni, let me know.

ReputationRep:
    I live near Reading too. Out of the three you mentioned, I'd say that RH and Reading have the better reputations, but I don't know how important you think that is. Reading is a much livelier place. Aber is a small town, as is Egham (where RH is). Reading is a really nice campus, a good Students Union and the town is good for shopping! And you get get a train direct to London in about 30 mins. Go to Reading!

ReputationRep:
    i have the wonderfully biased position of studying History and IR at Reading

the IR side for me also includes modules in modern politics to give you some "good foundations" as the department puts it.

lets start with some links:

http://www.spirs.rdg.ac.uk/Politics/index.html :mainly prospective student info ad introduction to department.

http://www.rdg.ac.uk/AcaDepts/lp/PolIR/ :er it seems not to be working very well atm, but is where they post more detailed info.

if they continue with the set up they have for me you would have two compulsary modules of "modern politics" and Interational relations and strategic studies" i'll give you a list of the lectures that i've had/having this term:

mod politics lectures:
    • executive leadership
    • elections and parties
    • interest groups
    • citizenship

2 lectures for each topic (8 in total), and every 2 weeks you have a seminar on the last lecture topics which you are assigned presentations to do. essay are either 1or 2 each term which are due in a week after the relevant seminar.

the emphasis is comparison between american and british government. so with the 2 lectures for each you'll have one for american government other for british version etc.

the same setup is with the IR side, with topics such as EU integration, realism and liberalism and the use of force. you are given a booklet with reading lists for each lecture subject which is extremely useful

its an excellent department, its very well organised and has a small dedicated library next to its office, the main library at Reading is Huge but even still core text books are snapped up quickly when essay deadlines appear. so the extra resource is a bonus.

there are a variety of dedicated politic/IR societies if you're more passionate, such as the war society: www.WARSOC.20m.com and there is an established amnesty international group here with regular meetings and talks.

given the structure of the course your compulsary modules would only fill 40 of 120 credits (!) so you will have the abilty to study a lot more than just politics. you can study anything (some courses have grade restrictions to limit numbers) but you could do something completely different (they actually encourage variety) from your main degree. most courses last a term and are 20 credits. eg my mate is doing a History but is doing 3 english modules in his first year. so if you have other interests its a good system to study them.

if its possible do come and visit, i dont know how difficult it would be for you but seeing them all would be an excellent chance to get a more rounded view on them all.

thats all i can think of for now, if i remember anything else i'll put it down, PM me if you have any questions or put them here...

ReputationRep:
    ohh something else, the university has a large amount of foreign students. it also runs exchange trips with american and other european universities but many foriegn students are here for the whole 3 years. for example there are about 6/7 french and german students in my accomadation block out of 12. not typical of all accomadation but to give you an idea. you wont be the only french person here! lol

ReputationRep:
    In terms of rep its between RH and Reading and i would choose Reading. I looked at applying to RHUL, but mainly because of its location and its only average, didnt bother applying.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by blacklord)
    Hi everybody!!!! I'm a French student (don't boo me please lol) and I've received offers from Aberystwyth, Aberdeen, Royal Holloway, Reading and Queen Mary UL, for a Politics and International Relations degree. But I'm bloody hesitating between Aberystwyth, Royal Holloway and Reading.
    The first seems to have an outstanding Politics department, the second has an overall reputation of excellence, is close to London Town and the airports (practical when you live in Bordeaux) and I've heard the last was a great deal... So please I need a WIDE WIDE help!!!!! What would you chose? Thanks
    i'd go for royal holloway - good reputation, also close to london, very pretty and i just preferred it more when i visited than reading, which i found a bit spread out and not very friendly.

also, my cousin is doing that course at RH and loves it so i thinkt hat's a good recommendation for you!

ReputationRep:
    Would you rather be at a university with an excellent reputation for your subject (ie the Welsh one I can't spell ) or one with an excellent reputation overall (ie Royal Holloway or Reading)? I also think it depends on the type of area you prefer. Royal Holloway may be near London, but it's actually in a tiny town called Egham which is pretty quiet. Reading is more lively, and I have no idea about the Welsh one.

ReputationRep:
    thank you all!!!!! Yeah yeah I won't be the only French but I don't wanna see too much of them!!! Actually I try to escape from frogs . I can read that Reading holds most of the ratings... Does it mean that Royal Holloway is full of flaws? And I don't talk about the "welsh uni I can't spell" loool . Well I think that would be worth a visit. I'm happy to have so much informations from you, please don't stop!!!

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by kellywood_5)
    Would you rather be at a university with an excellent reputation for your subject (ie the Welsh one I can't spell ) or one with an excellent reputation overall (ie Royal Holloway or Reading)? I also think it depends on the type of area you prefer. Royal Holloway may be near London, but it's actually in a tiny town called Egham which is pretty quiet. Reading is more lively, and I have no idea about the Welsh one.
    Well that's part of the dilemna!!! Mmmh yet I'm not in a race to the Best Diploma Ever I don't care much about it, I just wanna enjoy my uni life and work later

ReputationRep:
    for overall rep I'd go for RHUL, but Aberystwyth is supposed to be REALLY good for politics!

ReputationRep:
    Royal Holloway is beautiful, but it's in the middle of nowhere, lol!

ReputationRep:
    Join me at Aber. Please.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Chardonnay)
    I don't know much about that course, but I live in Reading, so if you want any info on the town rather than the uni, let me know.
    :eek:

You don't go to LP, do you?

ReputationRep:
    I'm at Reading and I find getting to Heathrow airport via the bus or Gatwick via train to be quite straightforward.

ReputationRep:
    Aberystwyth is in the middle of no where, which is fine............. if you like sheep.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Speciez99)
    Aberystwyth is in the middle of no where, which is fine............. if you like sheep.
    better take protection though

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by jumpunderaboat)
    better take protection though
    err yeah if your into that sort of thing...... :eek:

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Speciez99)
    err yeah if your into that sort of thing...... :eek:
    Yup I'm a wall climbing fanatic :rolleyes:

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Zurich)
    :eek:

You don't go to LP, do you?
    Leighton Park? Nah, I go to a comprehensive!

Poll
Were you ever put in isolation at school?
Useful resources
Uni match

Applying to uni?

Our tool will help you find the perfect course

Articles:

Debate and current affairs guidelinesDebate and current affairs wiki

Quick link:

Educational debate unanswered threads

Groups associated with this forum:

View associated groups

The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Write a reply...
Hide
Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.