Contraceptive Injection Watch

This discussion is closed.
spurs123
Badges: 1
Rep:
?
Report 13 years ago
(Original post by ramroff)
ah i see.. and how do you mop yourself up, does it evaporate or must you use some cleaning fluid, like to clean your car?

u having a laugh?
roff
Badges: 2
Rep:
?
Report 13 years ago
(Original post by zip it123)
u having a laugh?
no im not.. i dont have a vagina between my legs so i dont know about all the blood and gore
Ariel4
Rep:
?
Report 13 years ago
ah i see.. and how do you mop yourself up, does it evaporate or must you use some cleaning fluid, like to clean your car?
hahaha! lol, i seriously hope youre joking!
lou p lou
Rep:
?
Report 13 years ago
no im not.. i dont have a vagina between my legs so i dont know about all the blood and gore
you don't want to :p:

and as for the bleeding thing, it is really light (nothing like a period)

lou xxx
Flicker
Badges: 13
Rep:
?
Report 13 years ago
(Original post by foolfarian)
thats quite unusual, i would go so far as a bit reckless of them to give you the injection without a trial on the pill first, because some people get really bad headaches when on the pill, and if you have injection then there is no way to stop them till it runs out (3months down the line)

If you're fine on the pill then you'll probably love the injection. One injection in the top right hand side of your right buttcheek (so as to miss the sciatic nerve) - its almost your lower back really, and you then have no/vvvvvv small pregnancy risk for 3 months. You have to get reinjected every 3 months (think like with the pill its prob best to allow a menstruation between injections).

The injection really does last 3 months tho - you can't be thinking that you are protected at 3 months 6 days.

And remember it only protects against pregnancy - not STDs!

(sounds obvious but you'd be surprised how many people ignore that!)
that's one of the things i have a problem with - i'm sure it's allowed for, but i find it hard to understand how it lasts exactly 3 months in everyone, if you see what i mean - surely everyone will metabolise it at different rates? and also how can you be protected at 2 months 30 days and not at 3 months 2 days...but then i guess you have the injection doses overlap a bit so that's probably why!

i thought about having the injection but i decided to stick with the pill - i like having my periods. if you did get pregnant on the injection, how would you know?
lou p lou
Rep:
?
Report 13 years ago
(Original post by allisandro)
that's one of the things i have a problem with - i'm sure it's allowed for, but i find it hard to understand how it lasts exactly 3 months in everyone, if you see what i mean - surely everyone will metabolise it at different rates? and also how can you be protected at 2 months 30 days and not at 3 months 2 days...but then i guess you have the injection doses overlap a bit so that's probably why!

i thought about having the injection but i decided to stick with the pill - i like having my periods. if you did get pregnant on the injection, how would you know?
i think it's just a case of how long the chemical produced last in the body... i asked about this cos i tend to have very short cycles. you have to have it done between the 11th and 13th weeks.

the injection has a higher rate of success then the pill preventing pregnancy so i don't really worry about it

lou xxx
viviki
Badges: 14
Rep:
?
Report 13 years ago
I had problems with the pill and was told in that case that the injection wouldn't be suitable. I think thats why most doctors like you to try the pill first.

I know someone who had the injection and had a 3 month long bleed yikes.
Jamie
Badges: 18
Report 13 years ago
(Original post by lessthanthree)
The thing you need to remember about it, is that since you'll probably not be having bleeds, it's imperative that you keep up your calcium and vit A intake, through suppliments and milk.
why..?

O, and in reply to Lou p lou's points )soz i didn't reply sooner, have been busy in the hospital.)

-I was wrong about leaving a gap between injections. (i know with the pill the advice is to allow a period every few months, I think its to reduce infection risk or something like that).
-The 'pill' as most people kniw it is the 3rd generation mixed pill. THe injection is just progesterone, so the side effects will be slightly different. HOWEVER, I stick by my original opinion (and that of the South london NHS trust) that the pill should be trialed for a few months before the injections - as some people DO get nasty side effects, bleeding, nausea, headaches, even DVT.
Even without trying the pill before hand the BNF advise is that 'full counselling be recieved prior to patient consent'.
-And like has been said already "for long term contraception the injection should be repeated every 12 weeks precisely. If the interval is greater than 12 weeks and 5 days a pregnancy test must be performed, and additional contraception is advised for the next 2 weeks". Thats the medical associations prescribing advice.
-Sorry I said right hand side or right butt cheek lou p lou. I figured it would make more sense to you than "The lateral upper quadrant" (ie the top outer part of either cheek)
-"thanks" for the anonymous rep. lucky for me I got myself subscribed today...
Jamie
Report 13 years ago
(Original post by lessthanthree)
well, basically if you're missing periods you're at an increased risk of osteoparosis and bone thinning in general.

Since the injection does not generally allow for bleeds at_all_, you're at a greater risk of bone thinning than the pill for example.

It's a good idea for all women of child bearing age to have decent calcium levels anyway, but certainly if menses are going missing. Calcium suppliments can only do you good, really (:
God I'm so slow, you confused the hell out of me with the vitamin A.
I think what you meant was Calcium and vitamin D.
I think if you havea good diet though and aren't asian then you'll probably not be at any significant risk of calcium or Vit D deficiency.
FlutterByKisses
Rep:
?
Report Thread starter 13 years ago
hmmm.... i'm still undecided about whether to ask a doctor about it. I suppose they would give me information at a family planning clinic (i literally live opposite a clinic which is like a mini hospital i.e. has many different departments, not just a doctors surgery, so its not like i have to go far...)

I swear someone I know has it done in their arm and its fine....
lou p lou
Rep:
?
Report 13 years ago
(Original post by ainat87)
hmmm.... i'm still undecided about whether to ask a doctor about it. I suppose they would give me information at a family planning clinic (i literally live opposite a clinic which is like a mini hospital i.e. has many different departments, not just a doctors surgery, so its not like i have to go far...)

I swear someone I know has it done in their arm and its fine....
i'm sure it can be done there. most injections can be done in either (i once had a tetanus done in my bum)... they genarally do it in your bum because it's a fairly big injection and it could make your arm ache quite a lot (my bum had a cracking bruise the first time i got it done, but has never bruised as much since)

lou xxx
Sixbo
Badges: 0
Rep:
?
Report 13 years ago
is it true they've got a male contraceptive injection??
Flicker
Rep:
?
Report 13 years ago
(Original post by Sixbo)
they're developing one, i think it's in trials at the moment. it would involve an injection of female hormones to prevent sperm production, but also a slow release implant under teh skin to prevent men growing boobies
Sixbo
Badges: 0
Rep:
?
Report 13 years ago
they're developing one, i think it's in trials at the moment. it would involve an injection of female hormones to prevent sperm production, but also a slow release implant under teh skin to prevent men growing boobies
lol, thas good, if i grew em id neva leave the house!!!
Flicker
Rep:
?
Report 13 years ago
(Original post by lou p lou)
i think it's just a case of how long the chemical produced last in the body... i asked about this cos i tend to have very short cycles. you have to have it done between the 11th and 13th weeks.

the injection has a higher rate of success then the pill preventing pregnancy so i don't really worry about it

lou xxx
ah that makes sense!

yes i imagine it would because the pill's success rate is lowered by non-perfect use - and once you've had the injection you're covered and can't take it late or miss it...interesting.

ta!
Jamie
Report 13 years ago
(Original post by lou p lou)
i'm sure it can be done there. most injections can be done in either (i once had a tetanus done in my bum)... they genarally do it in your bum because it's a fairly big injection and it could make your arm ache quite a lot (my bum had a cracking bruise the first time i got it done, but has never bruised as much since)

lou xxx
Now see unless your doctor is a sadist, they normally give tetanus shots in either the upper arm...or near where you have been cut/stabbed by something possibly infected.
So my question to you is...what nasty object did you sit on..?
Jamie
Report 13 years ago
(Original post by Sixbo)
nope. IF you shut off testosterone in the male all the hormones get shunted to oestrogens and progesterones. Bad idea for a guy...
besides, as i recall there were fears it might lead to infertility/reduced fecundity.
lou p lou
Rep:
?
Report 13 years ago
Now see unless your doctor is a sadist, they normally give tetanus shots in either the upper arm...or near where you have been cut/stabbed by something possibly infected.
So my question to you is...what nasty object did you sit on..?
it was nurse... but mleh she must have been a sadist. and it was just a booster (so no cut), i can't really remember why, she said something about because i was small she thought it would make my arm ache quite a lot (and i think i had another injection att eh same time)... i think the sadist theory makes more sense though.

lou xxx
Flicker
Rep:
?
Report 13 years ago
nope. IF you shut off testosterone in the male all the hormones get shunted to oestrogens and progesterones. Bad idea for a guy...
besides, as i recall there were fears it might lead to infertility/reduced fecundity.
there is one! it doesn't shut off testosterone production as far as i can remember, its a mega boost of female hormones, plus the implant to prevent boobies as i said earlier. it could be available on the market by next year.
lou p lou
Rep:
?
Report 13 years ago
there is one! it doesn't shut off testosterone production as far as i can remember, its a mega boost of female hormones, plus the implant to prevent boobies as i said earlier. it could be available on the market by next year.

wooo! haha, this will serve my bf right for all his 'you know i'd have an injection if they did one comments'... (not that i actually want to gve up mine, i'm hooked!)

lou xxx
X
Latest
My Feed

See more of what you like on
The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

Personalise

Were you ever put in isolation at school?

Yes (76)
27.24%
No (203)
72.76%

Watched Threads