Hey there! Sign in to join this conversationNew here? Join for free

ReputationRep:
    I have a couple of interviews for Medicine next week. I have long hair, which I was going to wear in a ponytail for it. I was just wondering if people had any opinions about it and whether this will actually prevent me getting a place.

Btw, I asked the docs at work what they thought, an SHO and a Reg said cut it, and the consultants either said it shouldn't be a problem, as it wouldn't bother him in a doctor, and the other said she thought I should no way cut it, as she may even see it as a good thing as it shows character etc.

ReputationRep:
    If you like your hair keep it long, you shouldn't have to change yourself for an interview because they want to see the real you. As you can tell from talking to doctors it's something people will be divided on, possibly including your interviewers so playing it safe would be cutting it but that's not always the best option. However, if you have really frizzy/ messy hair just try and get it in control as much as possible and make sure you wear it up in a pony tail. Also I would recommend wearing a light coloured shirt because for some reason when I see men with long hair and black shirts it just doesn't look professional to me. Good luck at both of them and I hope your appearance doesn't hold you back, it would be a real shame if it did.

ReputationRep:
    It shouldn't hinder you in the slightest... if you get rejected on the basis of your haircut then I will lose all faith in life.

ReputationRep:
    crew cut ftw

ReputationRep:
    Cut it, it technically shouldn't make a difference, however a fresh haircut will give the impression of keenness and will seem professional and respectful. All plus points.

ReputationRep:
    I think it looks unprofessional, so I'd say cut it. Unfortunately, image is a lot in today's world.

ReputationRep:
    Don't you dare cut it.
    Unless you want to of course.
    Maybe just a trim here and there.

ReputationRep:
    They can't discriminate on hair length by specific gender. That would be illegal.

ReputationRep:
    you should probably cut it. it might only help you by conveying the message that you have enough balls to actually go into an interview breaking one of the main rules of interviews. but then they'll cut you down faster than darth vader.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Nex Angelus)
    crew cut ftw
    It's beyond me why Leeds always have to be so difficult.

ReputationRep:
    I got an offer regardless of noticing that everyone around me was wearing an incredibly expensive-looking suit. Appearances mustn't count for too much.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Mask Of Sanity)
    It's beyond me why Leeds always have to be so difficult.
    excuseeeeee me?

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Nex Angelus)
    excuseeeeee me?
    You could infer from my comment that they shouldn't have rejected you. :laugh:

ReputationRep:
    some people will have problems with it.. will they say they have problems? almost certainly not. might it affect what they think of you? certainly.

sure, it could be a positive too... it's impossible to tell what your interviewer will be thinking. but at the end of the day, interviews are subjective, and medicine interviews are probably more subjective than any others. I had quite a neat goatee going on but on my dad's suggestions I went clean shaven... upon going I found many of the guys had some neat facial hair, and if I get an interview at cardiff I think I might try going with a goatee next time... and facial hair is easier to grow than head hair, so meh.

if it looks neat and tidy on you then by all means keep it. I cut my long hair when I went for my job interview a couple of years ago, and I regretted it for a while, but I do think I look neater now, so it's swings and roundabouts.

ReputationRep:
    Don't cut it, as long as you look smart it shouldn't be a problem at all. I'd go with the light shirt.. tie it back but most definitely don't cut it,

ReputationRep:
    for gods sake cut it!!! why would you give them a reason to reject you, its hard enough getting an interview in the first place, I know you shouldn't have to, but you have no way of knowing the opinions of the people interviewing you so best to play safe, who knows you might even prefer it!!

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Mushi_master)
    I have a couple of interviews for Medicine next week. I have long hair, which I was going to wear in a ponytail for it. I was just wondering if people had any opinions about it and whether this will actually prevent me getting a place.

Btw, I asked the docs at work what they thought, an SHO and a Reg said cut it, and the consultants either said it shouldn't be a problem, as it wouldn't bother him in a doctor, and the other said she thought I should no way cut it, as she may even see it as a good thing as it shows character etc.
    Tie it back, don't have anything hanging around your face. My friend applied for Medicine last year - he's got black hair just past his shoulder, a goatee and two earrings. He tied his hair back and tidied up his beard for his interviews and got 5 conditional offers

ReputationRep:
    Well, cheers for the points guys. I personally really do not want to cut it, as especially in todays world, it shouldn't make an iota of difference if it's neat, tidy and presentable. I just looked at the clinical guidelines for dress at both the universities/trusts that will be interviewing me, and all they say is "hair must be neat and tidy" and "long hair must be tied back".

To be honest I think I'll just give it a trim, so my ponytail is nice and tidy etc.

ReputationRep:
    I dont think it will have that much of a bearing on your interview success so if you really dont want to cut it then don't.
    However, im a third year now, and loads of the boys with long hair were told by consultants to cut their hair....some are quite traditional and some patients dont like it.
    So its really up to you. You can get away with it for your pre-clinical years so make the most of it!

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Mask Of Sanity)
    You could infer from my comment that they shouldn't have rejected you. :laugh:
    haha my hairs ace =] scene ftw!

• See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• Poll
    Would you like to hibernate through the winter months?
  • See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Quick reply
    Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.