The Student Room Group

Hair relaxer

I really want to cut my hair short for the summer, but it's really curly so I was thinking of getting it chemically straightened. I've heard that hair relaxers (as used on afro hair usually, which mine isn't) are cheaper and are less bad for your hair. Apparently they don't last as long, but that doesn't matter.

Can anyone give me any advice? Anyone used them before? Is there any brand you recommend?
Reply 1

I use a relaxer on my hair (have afro hair) but apparently there is a new relaxing process for use on european hair. It can only be done in salons though as far as i know. I think it originated in Japan?
Reply 2
How does the afro relaxer work? Do you use it regularly, or would that damage your hair? How much of an effect does it have?
Reply 3
Trousers
How does the afro relaxer work? Do you use it regularly, or would that damage your hair? How much of an effect does it have?

I use it about every 10-12 weeks. You get a cream and mix it together to activate it. You place it on the roots of the hair (all over for the first time) combing it through and leave it for up to 30 mins depending on your hair type. The relaxer changes the chemical bonds in the hair making it go from curly/wavy to straight. It does do some damage to hair but its very effective. It is permanaent so every time i redo it i only do the regrowth.

Hope that helps :smile:
Reply 4
Sarky
I use it about every 10-12 weeks. You get a cream and mix it together to activate it. You place it on the roots of the hair (all over for the first time) combing it through and leave it for up to 30 mins depending on your hair type. The relaxer changes the chemical bonds in the hair making it go from curly/wavy to straight. It does do some damage to hair but its very effective. It is permanaent so every time i redo it i only do the regrowth.

Hope that helps :smile:

Sounds like exactly what I want, although it might be a bit strong for my hair. What brand is it? Where do you get it from?

...And how much is it? Sorry for all the questions - I should PM you really, but ho-hum.

Btw, I love your sig.
Reply 5
Trousers
Sounds like exactly what I want, although it might be a bit strong for my hair. What brand is it? Where do you get it from?

...And how much is it? Sorry for all the questions - I should PM you really, but ho-hum.

Btw, I love your sig.

Well you could try a childs relaxer, same thing but milder. There are lots of different brands. Dark and Lovely, Just for me, PCB, Soft and Beautiful, Motions, ElastaQP. I'd say go with a kids one.

Anywhere that sells black haircare products would sell relaxers. Shouldn't cost you more than £4.

And thanks about the sig, its immature but i like it :p:
Reply 6
I had my hair chemically straightened at Saks last year. It was brilliant, but expensive.
Reply 7
Saks is a great hairdresser. Pity I can only afford to go there once a year though!
Not sure how much this is related to the main topic, but you can also buy shampoos and conditioners which are supposed to make it easier to straighten your hair afterwards. Over my side of town, the Priceline Hair Tools brand sells them, but I have no idea which brands would stock them in the UK. I would suggest asking at your local Boots tho, if interested :smile:
Reply 9
I want to get some sort of product such as this is there any high street type shop where I might be able to get something like this???
Reply 10
I once bought a home perm kit and used to to try and straighten my hair, it did not work at all, not very surprising really!

Make sure you also buy a really good conditioner for chemically treated hair and use it the week before you straighten it and from then onwards. A good salon will only let you have it done if your hair is in very good condition because it takes a lot out of it (unless you get the really expensive Yuko system that Jenifer Aniston uses, which is £240+ a go) so bear that in mind when you do it at home. Good luck with it, let us know how it works out.
Reply 11
the way my hair is at the moment i'll try anything coz i just have like no time to deal with it!!! In the summer I'm going to have the yuko treatment done.
Reply 12
the article is a good read and deffinately very informative.
Reply 13
I've got the typical spikey chinese hair and thus i have to keep it short or else i look like a hedgehog. :punk: (view, profile for a btr pic of my hair.lol)

Someone told me that if u got hard, spikey hair, relaxer would also soften it and let it flop down (nb. my hair only points up atm. :biggrin: .)

Latest

Trending

Trending