The Student Room Group

Scroll to see replies

Reply 20
I very much doubt it or there'd be a dire shortage of students.
Reply 21
I got 100% in quite a few modules, and my headteacher was certain from my practice interviews that I'd get in, and I know this sounds bigheaded, but I think my best quality is my flair for talking about literature. So, honestly, I think I must have ****** up the ELAT, or they just took a genuine dislike to me!
But of course it's not impossible :smile:
Reply 22
Nothing is impossible. I had AAAAB at AS but 2 of the A's were 81% and 80% UMS average. I was surprised I got the offer but the interview did go quite well. There is absolutely no harm in trying.
Reply 23
It's impossible. All the 'students' at these places are actors hired to make it all feel more authentic for the tourists. Check uncyclopedia for more information.
Witches_Rave
Funny that, my friend got 100% in all his History modules and now has his place at Oxford for History and Politics.

Then again he had read the majority of the books for the Second and First years soo....

Another one with a 100% History AS with a place for HPol, we should form a club :biggrin:

And no, it's not, see my sig
Mighty Grandiose Noble Knight
Isn't it mostly down to the interview?

I thought your grades, p.s. and reference were just a way of getting the interview.

Cambridge interview basically everyone who is predicted AAA, and grades (including UMS) take primacy throughout the process.
Andy the Anarchist
Another one with a 100% History AS with a place for HPol, we should form a club :biggrin:

Quite. There seem to be a few of us with 100% History AS on TSR :biggrin:
Andy the Anarchist

Just in case you misread i said my friend, i don't do your dirty Humanities subjects :shifty:

:p:
Reply 28
From the Oxbridge website:

Important Announcement:

Due to the credit crunch Oxford and Cambridge universities in their amalgamated form of Oxbridge have decided that they will be cutting costs by suspending recruitment. No new students will be accepted for entry in 2010 or 2011. Students with offers for 2009 will have their offers increased to 90% in their A levels rather than the customary 80%. The universities regret these circumstances and hope that prospective students will be understanding about the pressures of the current economic climate. Postgraduate applicants will be unaffected.

A. Dean President of Oxbridge Admissions Committee
Of course it's possible!! I did it, you just need to fool them into thinking your smart! :laugh:

Hopefully they'll never find out about my true stupidity :ninja:
Reply 30
K!&R@N

Oops. Didn't realise I wasn't meant to tell them. My bad.:s-smilie:
Teebs
Oops. Didn't realise I wasn't meant to tell them. My bad.:s-smilie:

Nooooo...and it was all going according to plan!

Thanks, thanks alot...

:p:
K!&R@N
Of course it's possible!! I did it, you just need to fool them into thinking your smart! :laugh:

I would say :ditto: but I fear I've failed in keeping my supreme ditziness a secret... :ninja:

:biggrin:
im fairly new to this site but is it me....

or are there are five of these everyday?

its evidently not impossible or they wouldnt exist...or wouldnt have students.
I cant believe they moved Teebs' post rather than deleting it.
Turdburger

They deleted my reply to it :cry:
Reply 36
Turdburger

They didn't. I posted here first and then thought it was worth a thread of its own.
Reply 37
cruciform
This guy I know didn't get into cambridge although he got five A's for AS Levels in Maths, Physics, Chemistry, Biology and Further Maths. He applied to study maths and didn't get in. What do you need to get in? Also this other guy I know got into Warwick and not Oxford although he got 100 percent in all history modules for AS, how could they reject him?
People who go to Oxford must be immense and must have that natural flair in their subject. What do you think?

Theres more to success than getting grades, as you've just proven to yourself.
Teebs
From the Oxbridge website:

Important Announcement:

Due to the credit crunch Oxford and Cambridge universities in their amalgamated form of Oxbridge have decided that they will be cutting costs by suspending recruitment. No new students will be accepted for entry in 2010 or 2011. Students with offers for 2009 will have their offers increased to 90% in their A levels rather than the customary 80%. The universities regret these circumstances and hope that prospective students will be understanding about the pressures of the current economic climate. Postgraduate applicants will be unaffected.

A. Dean President of Oxbridge Admissions Committee

FAIL - there is no oxbridge website, unless you can kindly link it to me please.
im so academic
the fact that the guy didn't do the step papers is why he didn't get in for cambridge for maths

ttx
Nah it's largely about luck.

MrColin
Firstly, academia is not solely important and hence he got rejected probably due to an interview where he seemed distant and unsociable.

God, this gets worse every day.

Myth dispulsion:
1. Cambridge will ask you to do STEP after interview if they think you're potentially good enough to pass STEP. Having applied to Cambridge to do maths and not having put STEP on my UCAS form, I know this for a fact.
2. It's not largely about luck. It's partly about luck, in that if you're unlucky enough to freeze up in interviews or lucky enough to get a crap interviewer who only asks you easy questions, your fate is sealed, but that very rarely happens - the interview process is made as fair as possible with lots of coaching of interviewers beforehand, most candidates getting more than one interview, each interview being on a range of topics, and so on. Anyway, if you don't survive the interview due to nervousness or whatever, you wouldn't survive Oxford or Cambridge - tutes/supervisions would kill you.
3. This isn't bloody Harvard. They don't care if you played rugby, were a prefect, did D of E or chaired a knitting circle. They care about your academics and related, relevant extra-curriculars - I have no idea why people still put irrelevant crap in.

im so academic
FAIL - there is no oxbridge website, unless you can kindly link it to me please.

Teebs was joking.

Latest

Trending

Trending