I don't know what career I should have. Its driving me insane...

Watch this thread
This discussion is closed.
xo-Heva
Badges: 14
Rep:
? You'll earn badges for being active around the site. Rep gems come when your posts are rated by other community members.
Report Thread starter 13 years ago
Basically I'm of average intelligence.
I am not the dumbest pupil and I do well at school. But I am not the smartest pupil either.
I am struggling at my Highers currently (equivelent to AS levels I think).
I am good at Modern Studies. I enjoy Biology and Chemistry but I struggle at these. English is hell... I took it because I'm considering the possibility of teaching therefor will need atleast a C. I took art aswell because enjoy it.

I would love to go to university.
I am seriously considering primary school teaching but I am put off by its low salary...
What high paid jobs could I realistically consider? Medicine and Law are out of the question really, I'm just not smart enough
ttx
Badges: 13
Rep:
? You'll earn badges for being active around the site. Rep gems come when your posts are rated by other community members.
Report 13 years ago
(Original post by xo-Heva)
What high paid jobs could I realistically consider? Medicine and Law are out of the question really, I'm just not smart enough
What do you enjoy ?
xo-Heva
Rep:
Report Thread starter 13 years ago
(Original post by ttx)
What do you enjoy ?
Cooking and art.
Doesn't mean I'm good at them though :p:
Well, I'm okay at cooking but its something I'd rather keep as a hobby.
And art, I'm not good enough at it to make the big money.
Badges: 6
Rep:
Report 13 years ago
I think you'll find not many people know exactly what they want to do or end up changing their mind anyway. Just study something that interests you.
ttx
Rep:
Report 13 years ago
And art, I'm not good enough at it to make the big money.
How about design work ?
Dijobla
Badges: 17
Rep:
Report 13 years ago
Just concentrate on your Highers first. You're in no rush to decide right now. Some people are doing degrees and still don't know what career they want to do. My uncle spent 15 years in accountancy before he decided he wanted to become a writer... if it's any consolation, I'm sure it won't take you that long.
Stomm
Rep:
Report 13 years ago
This is the classic question that teenagers wresstle with, 'what should I do'. If you want to learn from my mistakes, then just going through the motions of going to uni and so on is not the way to go. If you end up doing something that you have no interest in then you're setting yourself up to dropping out, failing or just getting something like a 3rd which to be honest is almost as bad as just spending three years in a coma and watching your debts rise and rise...

If I could have done things differently, instead of just taking one year out working only to spend the money on going out, I would have not applied immediately at the end of my (2nd batch of) A-Levels, spent some time working in an office (you will need that office experience if you're planning on spending the rest of your working life in an office-based career) despite the lower pay (at the time an admin job in an office would have got me about £7-8k, whilst the warehouse work that I did paid around £12k by the time I left. This is in 1997-8 though, I imagine that the pay has probably doibled by now).

Then I would have gone travelling for six months, maybe done some voluntary work in Asia or something, and basically lived a little in 'The Real World™' prior to even considering what my future career would be.

As it was I ended up in a degree course that I wasn't interested in, dropped out, ran up big debts (which I still haven't repaid), ended up getting a crumby office job (as I hadn't worked in an office when I was 18-19, I had no office experience) in 'The Real World™', worked there for 1 1/2 years before deciding that enough was enough and I'd finally realised where my interests truly lay. So I went back to uni, finally got a decent career, and had it not been for my wife's well paid job and the fact that we decided to have kids I would have been re-entering the job market properly as a graduate in 2005 at the age of 27. If I hadn't gone to uni the first time and taken two proper 'years out', maybe three, then I would have been 23 or 24, but would have graduated with the same sort of stuff on my CV as I already have, but maybe with the addition of some extensive travelling...
XcattX
Badges: 0
Report 13 years ago
first of all shouldn't you be more realistic and just go for a job that you'd enjoy, so what if the pay isn't the best wouldnt you prefer to love your job and not have as much money then do something you dont enjoy and get paid loads and well at the moment you'd be lucky to get a job at all
hannah_b
Badges: 5
Rep:
Report 13 years ago
I think Stomm's suggestions were good. The important thing to remember is that you have so much time ahead of you and rather than panicking and rushing into big decisions, take the time to play and experiment and gain experience. Write a list of jobs you might potentially be interested in and see if you can find ways to try them out - if it's primary school teaching, ask at your local primary school if you can help out at all with after-school activities or something; if you're interested in graphic design, try the design department at your local newspaper, etc.

You can also take matters even more into your own hands - if you're interested in journalism, try writing a blog; if you think you might make a good events manager, try organising a gig or a club night; if you think you might want to run a shop, see if you can get a stall at your local weekend market. You get the idea.... The best way to find out whether or not you like something is by having a go!
Hlrk
Rep:
Report 12 years ago
Hi I'm not sure what career path to follow either however Im currently in the process of choosing my options in secondry school and I don't know what to pick. To be honest nothing really interests me anymore but I supose I could do anything if I wanted to. I am in set 1 for everything at school some subjects I am better at than others, I have only a few weeks left before I have to finalize them. I need help real bad any suggestions on how to pick? So far I think I might take art and an ict diploma but where is that going to get me, I want a job with a well paid salary. I wouldn't mind taking history and Spanish aswell but I am doing that just for the sake, I don't know what form of science I want to take either as I don't know what I want to do. PLEASE HELP ME, Any suggestions on where to start?
Hlrk
Rep:
Report 12 years ago
I wouldn't mind having a career to do something with cancer as it means a lot to me as two of my uncles had cancer and died and my mum but thankfully she survived. The only thing is I wouldn't want to be the surgeon or anything to do with telling people they have it. Is there any job ? What jobs is there for me? Any suggestions?
Absinth
Badges: 15
Rep:
Report 12 years ago
(Original post by Hlrk)
I wouldn't mind having a career to do something with cancer as it means a lot to me as two of my uncles had cancer and died and my mum but thankfully she survived. The only thing is I wouldn't want to be the surgeon or anything to do with telling people they have it. Is there any job ? What jobs is there for me? Any suggestions?
Cancer research?
Hlrk
Rep:
Report 12 years ago
What type of cancer research though, I want to make something of myself because we have been through a lot?
ttx
Rep:
Report 12 years ago
(Original post by Hlrk)
What type of cancer research though, I want to make something of myself because we have been through a lot?
If you want to go into any kind of scientific research, it's a pretty safe bet to take the three separate sciences at GCSE (or double science if your school doesn't offer them).
Pink Bullets
Badges: 15
Rep:
Report 12 years ago
You're 17. Why on earth are you worrying about this now?

And teaching isn't particularly low paid. Most people would hate doing it, but it's decently paid.
pinkmonkey3
Badges: 10
Rep:
Report 12 years ago
(Original post by Hlrk)
radiographer
or
radiotherapy

There are loads of jobs starting to open for this!
And you get to treat cancer patients and do xrays and all that
Hlrk
Rep:
Report 12 years ago
Thanks they are all really good suggestions. But sometimes I feel that the nhs isn't the way forward or me particulary, although that's where I will probably end up. Lately I have been thinking about things which have never really occurred to me before, of course I want to make a difference and help people but i would like to work as something creative possible media which is well payed. So if you have any suggestions they would be appreiciated, also if there is any job which you think is interesting please say. I feel like I need a list of jobs suited to my personality which I can dismiss one by one, please help me. If I work hard I think I could do almost anything as I am in the top sets at school. However nothing really interests me at school no more and I am currently choosing my options and finding it difficult, I will probably take science history and either art or textiles but I feel that I'm doing that just for the sake of it if I'm honest. so anybody got ant ideas thanks.
GR29KHS
Badges: 2
Rep:
Report 12 years ago
(Original post by Pink Bullets)
You're 17. Why on earth are you worrying about this now?
Agreed, I'm on the north side of 25 and am about to embark on my third career attempt - first called short on account of an injury and second I had to stop because i ended up hating it so much. Life isn't mapped out for most people at 17.

On the matter of pay, I'm going from a job I hate to a job I'm going to love with around an 8K salary decrease and I have no regrets whatsoever. Enjoying your job is so important, imho more important than the pay. But then maybe I'm just lecturing......
ghalibhasnain
Rep:
Report 10 years ago
I have same question and I see some helping feedback here as previous questions are concern I am done with MBA but still dont know where to go ... I start my job career in (Business Process Outsourcing) firm in 2008 and work there for six months
my duties were

Project Coordinator

 Direct Client Contracts
 Task Scheduling of each coordinators/team
 Over the weekend / outsourced work monitoring
 Supervising client relationship management
 To report regular program to COO/CEO
 To manage information security of company's projects
 To manage projects from design to development to implementation, working with clients, outsourcing partners etc
 Design management( including resource allocation, assignment of tasks, monitoring designers performances, assignment of tasks, monitoring designers performances, reporting from design lead, resolving problems)

But unfortunately owner of that company close all the functions and windup the organization....

then I join a company who are giving services to US UK and AUS and helping students through thesis assignment and essays writing .... all fake copy and pasting with little formatting required by students , while working there i analyze it wont help me out to setup my career here and in few months it come in my knowledge that they are also having fake universities and colleges as well with proper support of call center, online support and degree printing as well again all fake...I work there for 6 months

I left that job & complete my MBA and start searching for job again... then after 6 months i got a job in graphic animation house... it was small firm and my duties were...

 Creates and executes project work plans and revises as appropriate to meet changing needs and requirements.
 Identifies resources needed and assigns individual responsibilities.
 Manages day-to-day operational aspects of a project and scope.
 Reviews deliverables prepared by team before passing to client.
 Effectively applies our methodology and enforces project standards.
 Prepares for engagement reviews and quality assurance procedures.
 Minimizes our exposure and risk on project.
 Ensures project documents are complete, current, and stored appropriately.

but after 3 months i realize i am doing much administration work and support rather than project management and i also realize that they are not assigning me proper work and setting up things for me to leave the job...and one day they ask me to resign from my post I ask reason but they didnt give any response...

I got married as well between this... and searching for job again.... then my friend help me out and tell me to makeup my mind and this opportunity is good and learn few things related to ERP and get in ... this is totally not my field but as I am needy right now I agree to do it..

From the day one its in my mind that its not my field of work and i cant manage my self in this job ... If i have to continue this job i have to start learning things from basic like C++ java query generation and crystal reporting and processes of ERP as well...

Now i am stuck here ...Dont Know what to do ....can any one help me out ... please...
Habib1123
Badges: 5
Rep:
Report 3 years ago
Basically I'm of average intelligence.
I am not the dumbest pupil and I do well at school. But I am not the smartest pupil either.
I am struggling at my Highers currently (equivelent to AS levels I think).
I am good at Modern Studies. I enjoy Biology and Chemistry but I struggle at these. English is hell... I took it because I'm considering the possibility of teaching therefor will need atleast a C. I took art aswell because enjoy it.

I would love to go to university.
I am seriously considering primary school teaching but I am put off by its low salary...
what are you up to with your life currently? I’ve got the same question in my mind as you did 10 years ago?
X
Back
to top
Latest

Y13s: How will you be receiving your A-level results?

In person (41)
70.69%
In the post (2)
3.45%
Text (7)
12.07%
Something else (tell us in the thread) (8)
13.79%

Watched Threads